GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 430 air leak in pass window

Old 01-12-03, 11:51 PM
DJC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS 430 air leak in pass window

recently bought a '01 GS430 that has an audilbe air leak in passenger side window above 30mph. Brought car to dealer 3x's and they replaced the window channel run, inspected all seals around door, alignments, etc. and can find no cause for a leak. Has anyone experienced this with a GS? Any ideas as to where to go for help? Thanks, DJC.
Old 01-13-03, 10:44 AM
mdw131
Lead Lap

My 02 GS300 is doing the same thing. Around 30 MPH there's air coming in from the passenger side of the front windshield. I havent taken it to the dealer yet but you arent making me feel good now that you tell me the dealer cant fix it...
Old 01-13-03, 12:51 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Hmmm - are you positive it is coming from the window? I've got road noise that seems to come from the rear pass door - but actually it is coming from the sunroof. It increases with acceleration and speed (i.e. coasting on the highway has less noise than when accelerating).

If I close the sunroof shade, the noise goes away.

Of course "no problem found" from the dealer. Just completely annoying on a brand new car.

Someone once posted - the problem with Lexus' is that they are so quiet you hear everything.
Old 01-13-03, 01:48 PM
ski
Driver School Candidate

Have the dealer check the body plugs underneath the car, they might be missing. There are 4 of them (just look underneath the car, behind the front wheels) I've got a '02 Sport Design and the wind noise above 30 mph was driving me crazy. Brought it in and sure enough, the plugs was missing. I've already replaced them twice, and the second time they used silicone to seal it in place.
Old 01-13-03, 02:13 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Oh man - that's sounds exactly like what it is since I only hear stuff from underneath the car.

THANKS!
Old 02-01-03, 08:29 PM
DJC
Rookie

Smile

Ski - Thanks for the suggestion on the body plugs underneath the car. I look under the passenger side and sure enough there was one missing. Took it into the dealer and had them install a new plugs with silicone (they said there were additional ones in the back missing as well) and it quieted the wind noise down to almost nil. However, at certain times and moving in certain directions against the wind, I can still hear the noise although not nearly as prevelant as before. This is in contrast to the driver's side which is virtually silent. I'm still searching for additional leaks where it could be coming from. Perhaps the sideview mirror? If anyone has further ideas/suggestions/experiences, please pass along.
Thanks,
DJC
Old 02-03-03, 02:00 PM
kuruption213
Pole Position

Red face

i have the oppositte problem as doug-999 my car makes tapping noises from the sunroof but when the shade is closed. if it is open some noise is heard but not very often and consistent like when the shade is closed. the dealer checked it out but said it was going to cost $120 to reseal the sunroof and it wouldn't be covered under the extended warranty. why did i get that again?
Old 02-04-03, 01:45 PM
advsystems
Driver

Ho man, thanks for the post! I have been putting up with this minor noise for >40k miles. I looked under the car today & sure enough, a plug was missing! It's going to the dealer on the 11th.
Old 02-04-03, 03:48 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Can anyone get a digital camera and show what these plugs look like? Just curious.
Old 02-05-03, 12:28 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

I am curious to see those plugs too. I have what sounds like an air leak in the right hand rear door. I also hear some occasional humming sound (not very noticable) coming from the drivers side wheel or something on the front left hand side of the car. It's definitely not a bearing as the noise comes and goes - it is not steady. Ideas, anyone?

I would not notice any of this other than the fact that I had a 96 E320 before this car and that car (believe it or not) was actually quieter than my 99 GS400 (and my GS is in excellent condition - no accidents, and pampered by the previous owner). Make no mistake though, the GS400 is very quiet and I am not complaining in any sense of the word. Just curious to know if I can fix those small barely noticeable noises (after all, all of us Lexus owners bought the car the same reasons - the pursuit of perfection )
Old 02-05-03, 06:49 PM
DJC
Rookie

I don't have a digital camera to take a picture, but the plugs are simple black plastic drain-hole type plugs. About the size of an old silver dollar. They are located in the floor boards of the car and along the frame rails. My car had one missing on the passenger side floor board, right behind the front wheel. Although my dealer said there were also couple missing in the back (I didn't see the car on the lift). The new plugs seem to have quieted the air noise down about 90% although I can sometimes still hear noise coming from the front passenger side - somewhere along the floor or door - depending on the way I'm driving against the wind. The noise no longer sounds like it's coming from the passenger side window however. It almost sounds like the low, deep air rushing sound when you first crack a window/sunroof open when all the other windows are shut. Any other insight as to where to look is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
DJC
Old 03-30-04, 12:56 AM
SeattleGS400
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Floor underbody plug locations?

I think I've got this "wind" noise problem on my car (i.e. missing floor underbody plugs). I just took a long road trip to Idaho and back to Seattle, WA, last week, and it seemed like my car had pronounced wind noise on the passenger side. I got some new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and they do quiet down the car, but the wind noise is rather prominent at freeway speeds (65+ mph).

Can anyone take some pictures of the body plugs and their locations so I check this out for myself? Also, do I need to jack up the car to check for them?
Old 03-30-04, 07:31 AM
DJC
Rookie

Just look under your car at the floor boards and you will see the plugs. There is at least one on each floor board. Unless your car is very low, you don't need to be on a lift to see them, although it would make it easier. Your local Lexus dealer stocks the plugs as I have learned they fall out occasionally. You can have the dealer replace them, or use a good waterproof silicone and do it yourself.
Old 03-30-04, 01:26 PM
SeattleGS400
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info--I'll take a look under my car, and maybe take some pics, so others will know where they are. Will report back. . .
Old 03-30-04, 03:00 PM
aoverify
Driver School Candidate

Wow, great tip. I've been experiencing wind noise on the passenger side for the past few thousand miles and its been driving me crazy. I've already got an appointment at the dealer for Thursday so I'll definitely have them check that out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS 430 air leak in pass window