GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Trunk Won't Open (Non-valet switch problem)

Old 03-12-13, 02:53 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trunk Won't Open (Non-valet switch problem)

My trunk won't open with the button on key FOB, interior button, and trunk-lid button. I did check the glove compartment valet button multiple times as well. No luck there. The trunk does open manually with the metal key from the key FOB, just not the other buttons.

EDIT: The key FOB button works in that it makes the long beep noise, but the trunk does not pop. The auto-shut function does not work either. Just checked the driver side panel "TRK OPN" fuse and that's perfectly fine.

Could it be a bad solenoid? Bad latch or fuse? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kaotiq; 03-13-13 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 08:37 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by kaotiq
My trunk won't open with the button on key FOB, interior button, and trunk-lid button. I did check the glove compartment valet button multiple times as well. No luck there. The trunk does open manually with the metal key from the key FOB, just not the other buttons.

EDIT: The key FOB button works in that it makes the long beep noise, but the trunk does not pop. The auto-shut function does not work either. Just checked the driver side panel "TRK OPN" fuse and that's perfectly fine.

Could it be a bad solenoid? Bad latch or fuse? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I was gonna say could be the handle but everything else doesn't open it, I would check the fuses first and make sure one isn't out.
Old 03-13-13, 05:01 PM
Conceptvip
Driver School Candidate

disconnect the battery for 15 seconds and should fix it. There is a tsib to prevent this happening, it is to replace the drivers junction block.
Old 03-13-13, 08:07 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Conceptvip
disconnect the battery for 15 seconds and should fix it. There is a tsib to prevent this happening, it is to replace the drivers junction block.
So I assume this was a common problem. I'll safely assume that my being out of warranty wouldn't help the situation if I called to.claim this factory defect. I'm gonna try the battery reset right now. thanks.
Old 03-13-13, 08:16 PM
Conceptvip
Driver School Candidate

Not a very common issue just see it every so often. I dunno what causes it but have never had a car come back after pulling the battery. This also happens to ls460s but there is no tsib on the ls.

Last edited by Conceptvip; 03-13-13 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-14-13, 05:44 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Conceptvip
Not a very common issue just see it every so often. I dunno what causes it but have never had a car come back after pulling the battery. This also happens to ls460s but there is no tsib on the ls.
I wanted to thank you for your tip. I just tried it right now (unable to do it last night) and it worked. I have no clue as to why that solved it.
Old 04-18-13, 08:06 PM
MX5
Pole Position

I had it where the metal key worked and the power shut worked, but the remote and the handle and the button on the dropdown didn't. That lasted about a week and ever since the handle and the interior button have worked, which is good enough for the few times I actually get into the trunk. Still kinda makes you think the old system of pulling on a cable somewhere on the driver's floor wasn't too bad a way to go
Old 10-19-13, 03:12 PM
yoitsdre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem, trunk stopped opening from one day to the next....disconnected battery for 15 seconds and it opens normally now. Thanks guys
Old 06-02-14, 10:53 AM
mebakdr
Driver School Candidate

HELP!

Have same problem with 06 IS350. Battery trick does not work. My car does not seem to have valet button.... I can open with the key. Nothing else works... Any suggestions??
Old 06-04-14, 09:25 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mebakdr
HELP!

Have same problem with 06 IS350. Battery trick does not work. My car does not seem to have valet button.... I can open with the key. Nothing else works... Any suggestions??
You do have a valet button. Checked out page 19 on the attached pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Doors_Opening_Locking.pdf (324.1 KB, 3780 views)
The following users liked this post:
TheGalv (02-21-22)
Old 12-22-14, 12:14 AM
alanh
Driver School Candidate

hey, which battery do you have to disconnect, the one in the trunk or the one under the hood, having the same issue on my 08 450h

thanks
Old 12-22-14, 06:46 PM
bilsteiner
Driver School Candidate

a big thank to this helpful thread!!

Release the ground wire from the battery and it reset the ECU and it worked.
Old 08-24-15, 12:25 AM
maddenmg
Driver School Candidate

Forget disconnecting battery, too many complications, Find the ECU-B Fuse in the Fuse box under the hood to the left, remove this fuse, start the car, stop the car, replace the fuse, restart the car and the trunk lid will OPEN. Worked for me today just fine on my GS350 same intent as battery without the other consequences, and your battery will stay just like it was...
Old 08-31-15, 03:10 PM
Hasman69
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Trunk wont open - still under warranty

Just curious as I am having the same issue. Have a 2009 GS 350 which I bought as a cpo so still under warranty. Do you think something like this will be covered. Not really worth paying that much to get it fixed.
Old 08-31-15, 05:34 PM
maddenmg
Driver School Candidate

Default HCU fuse technique

Remove HCU fuse under hood left side. Start engine stop engine. Replace HCU fuse and trunk lid. Will now open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk Won't Open (Non-valet switch problem)