RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

FINALLY SOLVED! P0171 and P0174 Codes!!!!

Old 01-04-13, 08:00 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts
Default FINALLY SOLVED! P0171 and P0174 Codes!!!!

P0171 and P0174 I know this is long, but if you've had these codes, please read the entire post as it will explain EXACTLY what and why which will be important to tell the mechanice you work with.

If you want to know the solution, simply scroll down. What follows is an explanation of what I discovered. Let me start by telling you guys what I encountered. P0171 and P0174 are one set of codes that set off the Check Eng. and ECT and one other light on the dash I cannot recall at this exact moment...whatever.....engine detects these codes and sets off the lights.

Now what are these codes? Lean codes in bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. In layman's terms, the computer sees too much air in the system for the proper fuel air ratio and tells the injectors to stay open longer and add more fuel so as to balance out the ratio.

Now many things can play into this.
The Basics
Combustion engines operate by burning an air/fuel mixture of about 14.7 to 1—14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. When the air ratio goes below 14.7 parts, this is called a "rich" mixture. If the air rises above 14.7 parts, it is called a "lean" mixture.

Rich Mixture = Too much fuel, not enough air
Lean Mixture = Too much air, not enough fuel

To keep the engine running properly, the Engine Control Module measures the oxygen content in the exhaust with oxygen sensors and makes adjustments to the mixture by injecting more or less fuel.

The control module operates within specific parameters and under normal conditions, it will make minor adjustments to the air/fuel mixture. When these adjustments become too large, a fault code is set. When the P0171/P0174 code sets, the oxygen sensors are detecting too little oxygen in the exhaust and the control module is adding more fuel than normal to sustain the proper air/fuel mixture.

When a vehicle has the fault code P0171 and or P0174, it means that computer can no longer automatically adjust the mixture between air and fuel. Code P0171 applies to Bank 1 and P0174 applies to Bank 2. Code P0174 mainly applies to V6 or V8 engines because 4-cylinder engines generally have only one bank, though there are a few exceptions. Some of the high performance 4-cylinder and straight 6-cylinder engines (such as those in BMW and Lexus) split the cylinders into groups of two or three and call them separate banks.

When the code says that the Fuel System is "too lean," it means that the computer has been adding more and more fuel, which is called Long Term Fuel Trim. Ideally, the Long Term Fuel Trim should be close to 1 to 2 percent. When a code P0171 is set, it means that the Fuel Trim is anywhere from 15 percent to as high as 35 percent compensated. When this happens, the computer knows that there is an improper condition in the control of the Fuel System.

Now for the Causes for these codes:Common Problems That Trigger the P0171 and P0174 Code

PCM software needs to be updated
Vacuum leaks (Intake Manifold Gaskets, vacuum hoses, PCV hoses, etc.)
Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
Plugged Fuel Filter or weak Fuel Pump
Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors

Now many here have gone to the dealerships to get these codes figured out, just to have the vehicle throw the code a week or two later. I found out why!!!!

Now on my scanner, I can check the engine "LIVE DATA" as it is running and it also takes a freeze frame of when the last code was set.
I found that my LONG TERM FUEL TRIM FOR BOTH BANKS (P0171 and P0174) was at 25% or more!!!! This is high enough to cause the computer to throw a code.

Since the issue dealt with BOTH BANKS 1 AND 2, I knew it had to be an issue with my MAF, Vacuum Leak, Fuel related, or possibly gaskets from the intake system.

Here is what I replaced BEFORE I DISCOVERED WHAT SOLVED THE ISSUE:
Below is a photo of everything I replaced minus the 4 - 02 senors and the PCV valve AND MAF SENSOR.
Name:  IphoneJan13247_zps88b374f1.jpg
Views: 86924
Size:  106.1 KB
Here we see: Numerous Vacuum Lines, Intake Manifold Gaskets, Plenum Gaskets, Valve Cover Gaskets, Spark Plugs, Injector Seals for all 6 Injectors (also cleaned injectors), EGR valve, Air intake control Valve gasket, Air filter, numeruos vacuum line clamps, Crush Washers for fuel rails, and a few other things.

Now this pretty much had me at a loss because I replaced nearly EVERY COMPONENT that could possibly be a culprit to this issue. I am sure that Lexus Techs have tried or done the same thinking "this has to be all it can be".

Well after tearing the engine apart and replacing all the above and servicing and cleaning the injectors and entire intake and throttle body, I was thinking that this will do the trick. I had my fuel pressure tested as well and it was fine (54lbs.). So I knew I didn't have a fuel suply issue from the tank.

Put it back together and turned the key thinking problem solved. AND NO!!!!!!!!!!

WTH MAN! I literally replaced everything. I even inspected the plastic manifld for cracks! Nothing. Still showed High Fuel Trim on the Long Term Side after engine warmed up!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell would be next???? I was lost. Went to dealership. Wrote a check for them to diagnose the problem. They did smoke test on system and found no leaks in the vacuum, and reset code and told me system would adjust after a few cycles blah blah blah. They even reset my ECU! ONE WEEK LATER......CODE P0171 and P0174!!!!! AGAIN

At this point I had no clue what to do. Read and read and read about lean codes. Read some more. Inspected all vacuum lines again. Cleaned new maf just in case. Nothing.

Then, FINALLY, AFTER nearly 8 months of fighting with this code KAAAAAAAABBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!! I FOUND THE ISSUE! And I discovered why Lexus techs and mechanics are lost at times. They know it was likely a leak in the vacuum system, but could never clearly identify what was leaking!

I DID!!!!!

While inspecting the engine yet again for potential leaks etc, I was running my hand along the left side of the intake manifold (black plastic) when I placed my hand and fingers and some weight against the AIR INTAKE VALVE on THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE INTAKE. Now the mechanism and linkage from the vacuum bladder that operates it had my fingers slightly pressing on it and I noticed an engine RPM change and a slight change in the pitch of what sounded like my engine beltpulleys making noise. I release and the engine returned to what is was and had been doing and sounding like. At this point I though to myself that maybe I had simply just moved the linkage enough to move the internal valve inside the intake manifold. So I again placed my fingers near the linage to the valve this time just barely placing enough pressure on the linkage to change the pitch of the noise, yet ensuring I did not MOVE THE VALVE inside. The pitch changed again and engine revs changed slightly. I immediately connected my scanner and drew the live data up. Did it again and pressed on the linkage and BAM THE FUEL TRIMS DROPPED TO NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOM Maybe this was it!!!!! But how????
This was not a vacuum line, simply linage to the internal air valve. I tested the vacuum line going to the valve bladder (sucked and watched the valve mechaism move thus moving the internal valve and held it and it was air tight. What the hell. How could this be leaking if the bladder holds a vacuum and the linkage works and holds when there is a vacuum????

Well, what the hell, I've already replaced everything else, might as well replace this. TOYOTA PART NUMBER: 17320 0A010 Air Intake Control Valve No 2.Bought it. Tore the intake apart again to get the old one out.
See photo:
Name:  IphoneJan13242_zps60a955ae.jpg
Views: 85385
Size:  106.4 KB
Name:  IphoneJan13241_zpsa97eda7c.jpg
Views: 84945
Size:  65.9 KB
The mechaism to the left my thumb in the photo is what I replaced. It is also picture above.

Now when I removed the old one, I noticed some "play" in the SHAFT THAT RUNS FROM THE CONNECTING LINKAGE THROUGH THE PART THAT MOUNTS TO MANIFLD TO THE VALVE ITSELF. See the photo for a picture of the shaft.
THIS IS WHERE THE LEAK WAS COMING FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Name:  IphoneJan13244_zpsae5f14b8.jpg
Views: 84481
Size:  90.6 KB
THIS PHOTO is of the linkage WITHOUT PRESSING ON IT.
This photo however....
Name:  IphoneJan13245_zps6a0fcd13.jpg
Views: 87478
Size:  86.1 KB
Shows a slight gap in the shaft area. You CAN CLEARLY FEEL A LOT OF PLAY especially comparative to the new one. There are two rubber seals int he linkage that obviously have gotten old and began to leak due to the play.

But why would the "leak" be intermittant and only throw a code on occasion..... BECAUSE THE VACUUM VALVE HAD TO BE WORKING TO EXPOSE THE PLAY IN THE SHAFT LINKAGE and this usually only actuates at idle at start up or idle while driving. IF YOU WERE NOT IDLEING THE CAR FOR LONG PERIODS, the leak is not apparent and thus the fuel trims are not HIGH ENOUGH FOR LONG ENOUGH to throw a code. At some point they will, but thus the intermittant code throwing!!!! I once reset my code and drove 237 Miles BEFORE THE CODE thre again! It was nearly ALL HIGHWAY MILES....DING DING DING. NO IDLE TIME thus no intense vacuum thus no code throwing.

Now if a Lex Tech hooked up smoke machine, HE WON'T FIND THE LEAK AS THE VACUUM DRIVEN VALVE WILL NOT BE ACTUATED AND THUS THE LEAK NOT APPARENT AT THAT TIME. The rest of the system will check out and you will be back at sqaure one!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Have your Mechanic check this valve mechanism if you are getting these codes. The leak is coming from the SHAFT THAT CONNECTS TO THE VALVE!!!!!!!

After months and months and countless hours, I FINALLY DISCOVERED THE ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!

Email me at htownblue@gmail.com with any questions.

Last edited by Rainbird; 04-25-15 at 03:52 PM.
The following 26 users liked this post by HtownBlue:
Alexuses300 (09-14-23), Buzzltyr57 (09-13-23), Chapp (01-29-24), Dah13 (07-08-20), DavidWebb (05-28-19), DCWake (05-01-21), DeeFlat (02-08-17), Djpoint (05-31-20), Farqui (02-13-19), jdanielca (05-08-20), JimmyRX350 (11-24-21), JSNash (11-06-21), lindseykdev (12-31-23), Mewannalex (11-16-23), Michael95 (04-10-20), MrHarris (04-16-22), NYCGeordie (01-26-19), reisingdw (11-29-19), SENSAY813 (12-07-21), sumrob (09-12-23), TeamPSI (11-22-21), tempestv8 (09-02-18), tlin (02-24-22), usmc02127 (11-27-23), VOES300 (11-19-19), xNoCap (02-15-21) and 21 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-04-13, 08:24 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, great job on sticking with this to the end. I'm sure that your investigative attitude and willingness to find the problem will help many people on this forum.
Jeff
Old 01-04-13, 08:34 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Default FINALLY SOLVED!!!! P0171 and P0174 Codes. Check Engine/VSC/TRAC lights...

P0171 and P0174 I know this is long, but if you've had these codes, please read the entire post as it will explain EXACTLY what and why which will be important to tell the mechanice you work with.

If you want to know the solution, simply scroll down. What follows is an explanation of what I discovered. Let me start by telling you guys what I encountered. P0171 and P0174 are one set of codes that set off the Check Eng. and ECT and one other light on the dash I cannot recall at this exact moment...whatever.....engine detects these codes and sets off the lights.

Now what are these codes? Lean codes in bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. In layman's terms, the computer sees too much air in the system for the proper fuel air ratio and tells the injectors to stay open longer and add more fuel so as to balance out the ratio.

Now many things can play into this.
The Basics
Combustion engines operate by burning an air/fuel mixture of about 14.7 to 1—14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. When the air ratio goes below 14.7 parts, this is called a "rich" mixture. If the air rises above 14.7 parts, it is called a "lean" mixture.

Rich Mixture = Too much fuel, not enough air
Lean Mixture = Too much air, not enough fuel

To keep the engine running properly, the Engine Control Module measures the oxygen content in the exhaust with oxygen sensors and makes adjustments to the mixture by injecting more or less fuel.

The control module operates within specific parameters and under normal conditions, it will make minor adjustments to the air/fuel mixture. When these adjustments become too large, a fault code is set. When the P0171/P0174 code sets, the oxygen sensors are detecting too little oxygen in the exhaust and the control module is adding more fuel than normal to sustain the proper air/fuel mixture.

When a vehicle has the fault code P0171 and or P0174, it means that computer can no longer automatically adjust the mixture between air and fuel. Code P0171 applies to Bank 1 and P0174 applies to Bank 2. Code P0174 mainly applies to V6 or V8 engines because 4-cylinder engines generally have only one bank, though there are a few exceptions. Some of the high performance 4-cylinder and straight 6-cylinder engines (such as those in BMW and Lexus) split the cylinders into groups of two or three and call them separate banks.

When the code says that the Fuel System is "too lean," it means that the computer has been adding more and more fuel, which is called Long Term Fuel Trim. Ideally, the Long Term Fuel Trim should be close to 1 to 2 percent. When a code P0171 is set, it means that the Fuel Trim is anywhere from 15 percent to as high as 35 percent compensated. When this happens, the computer knows that there is an improper condition in the control of the Fuel System.

Now for the Causes for these codes:Common Problems That Trigger the P0171 and P0174 Code

PCM software needs to be updated
Vacuum leaks (Intake Manifold Gaskets, vacuum hoses, PCV hoses, etc.)
Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
Plugged Fuel Filter or weak Fuel Pump
Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors

Now many here have gone to the dealerships to get these codes figured out, just to have the vehicle throw the code a week or two later. I found out why!!!!

Now on my scanner, I can check the engine "LIVE DATA" as it is running and it also takes a freeze frame of when the last code was set.
I found that my LONG TERM FUEL TRIM FOR BOTH BANKS (P0171 and P0174) was at 25% or more!!!! This is high enough to cause the computer to throw a code.

Since the issue dealt with BOTH BANKS 1 AND 2, I knew it had to be an issue with my MAF, Vacuum Leak, Fuel related, or possibly gaskets from the intake system.

Here is what I replaced BEFORE I DISCOVERED WHAT SOLVED THE ISSUE:
Below is a photo of everything I replaced minus the 4 - 02 senors and the PCV valve AND MAF SENSOR.
Name:  IphoneJan13247_zps88b374f1.jpg
Views: 80503
Size:  106.1 KB
Here we see: Numerous Vacuum Lines, Intake Manifold Gaskets, Plenum Gaskets, Valve Cover Gaskets, Spark Plugs, Injector Seals for all 6 Injectors (also cleaned injectors), EGR valve, Air intake control Valve gasket, Air filter, numeruos vacuum line clamps, Crush Washers for fuel rails, and a few other things.

Now this pretty much had me at a loss because I replaced nearly EVERY COMPONENT that could possibly be a culprit to this issue. I am sure that Lexus Techs have tried or done the same thinking "this has to be all it can be".

Well after tearing the engine apart and replacing all the above and servicing and cleaning the injectors and entire intake and throttle body, I was thinking that this will do the trick. I had my fuel pressure tested as well and it was fine (54lbs.). So I knew I didn't have a fuel suply issue from the tank.

Put it back together and turned the key thinking problem solved. AND NO!!!!!!!!!!

WTH MAN! I literally replaced everything. I even inspected the plastic manifld for cracks! Nothing. Still showed High Fuel Trim on the Long Term Side after engine warmed up!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell would be next???? I was lost. Went to dealership. Wrote a check for them to diagnose the problem. They did smoke test on system and found no leaks in the vacuum, and reset code and told me system would adjust after a few cycles blah blah blah. They even reset my ECU! ONE WEEK LATER......CODE P0171 and P0174!!!!! AGAIN

At this point I had no clue what to do. Read and read and read about lean codes. Read some more. Inspected all vacuum lines again. Cleaned new maf just in case. Nothing.

Then, FINALLY, AFTER nearly 8 months of fighting with this code KAAAAAAAABBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!! I FOUND THE ISSUE! And I discovered why Lexus techs and mechanics are lost at times. They know it was likely a leak in the vacuum system, but could never clearly identify what was leaking!

I DID!!!!!

While inspecting the engine yet again for potential leaks etc, I was running my hand along the left side of the intake manifold (black plastic) when I placed my hand and fingers and some weight against the AIR INTAKE VALVE on THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE INTAKE. Now the mechanism and linkage from the vacuum bladder that operates it had my fingers slightly pressing on it and I noticed an engine RPM change and a slight change in the pitch of what sounded like my engine beltpulleys making noise. I release and the engine returned to what is was and had been doing and sounding like. At this point I though to myself that maybe I had simply just moved the linkage enough to move the internal valve inside the intake manifold. So I again placed my fingers near the linage to the valve this time just barely placing enough pressure on the linkage to change the pitch of the noise, yet ensuring I did not MOVE THE VALVE inside. The pitch changed again and engine revs changed slightly. I immediately connected my scanner and drew the live data up. Did it again and pressed on the linkage and BAM THE FUEL TRIMS DROPPED TO NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOM Maybe this was it!!!!! But how????
This was not a vacuum line, simply linage to the internal air valve. I tested the vacuum line going to the valve bladder (sucked and watched the valve mechaism move thus moving the internal valve and held it and it was air tight. What the hell. How could this be leaking if the bladder holds a vacuum and the linkage works and holds when there is a vacuum????

Well, what the hell, I've already replaced everything else, might as well replace this. TOYOTA PART NUMBER: 17320 0A010 Air Intake Control Valve No 2.Bought it. Tore the intake apart again to get the old one out.
See photo:
Name:  IphoneJan13242_zps60a955ae.jpg
Views: 88946
Size:  106.4 KB
Name:  IphoneJan13241_zpsa97eda7c.jpg
Views: 80576
Size:  65.9 KB
The mechaism to the left my thumb in the photo is what I replaced. It is also picture above.

Now when I removed the old one, I noticed some "play" in the SHAFT THAT RUNS FROM THE CONNECTING LINKAGE THROUGH THE PART THAT MOUNTS TO MANIFLD TO THE VALVE ITSELF. See the photo for a picture of the shaft.
THIS IS WHERE THE LEAK WAS COMING FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Name:  IphoneJan13244_zpsae5f14b8.jpg
Views: 79465
Size:  90.6 KB
THIS PHOTO is of the linkage WITHOUT PRESSING ON IT.
This photo however....

Shows a slight gap in the shaft area. You CAN CLEARLY FEEL A LOT OF PLAY especially comparative to the new one. There are two rubber seals int he linkage that obviously have gotten old and began to leak due to the play.

But why would the "leak" be intermittant and only throw a code on occasion..... BECAUSE THE VACUUM VALVE HAD TO BE WORKING TO EXPOSE THE PLAY IN THE SHAFT LINKAGE and this usually only actuates at idle at start up or idle while driving. IF YOU WERE NOT IDLEING THE CAR FOR LONG PERIODS, the leak is not apparent and thus the fuel trims are not HIGH ENOUGH FOR LONG ENOUGH to throw a code. At some point they will, but thus the intermittant code throwing!!!! I once reset my code and drove 237 Miles BEFORE THE CODE thre again! It was nearly ALL HIGHWAY MILES....DING DING DING. NO IDLE TIME thus no intense vacuum thus no code throwing.

Now if a Lex Tech hooked up smoke machine, HE WON'T FIND THE LEAK AS THE VACUUM DRIVEN VALVE WILL NOT BE ACTUATED AND THUS THE LEAK NOT APPARENT AT THAT TIME. The rest of the system will check out and you will be back at sqaure one!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Have your Mechanic check this valve mechanism if you are getting these codes. The leak is coming from the SHAFT THAT CONNECTS TO THE VALVE!!!!!!!

After months and months and countless hours, I FINALLY DISCOVERED THE ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!

Email me at htownblue@gmail.com with any questions.

Last edited by Rainbird; 04-25-15 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SENSAY813 (12-07-21)
Old 01-05-13, 03:26 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Congrats. Sometimes solving the toughest of problems brings the greatest sense of satisfaction. Your perseverance definitely should be rewarded this weekend.
Timmay1269 (01-30-24)
Old 01-05-13, 08:42 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

Congrats
Old 01-05-13, 11:29 AM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to inform the non-informed Lexus techs about the issue or sell your results to Toyota!!!
Great satisfaction in getting it solved.
Old 01-05-13, 12:05 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cartman57
Time to inform the non-informed Lexus techs about the issue or sell your results to Toyota!!!
Great satisfaction in getting it solved.
I am not claiming to be a Lexus Tech or anything for the record, I just know how they go about diagnosing these issues and the way they test for the leaks etc., would not show the issue. Combine that with the regular pulley noise and it is a difficult leak to diagnose. Hope I didn't come across arrogent.
The following 2 users liked this post by HtownBlue:
Lrivera134 (11-26-22), SENSAY813 (12-07-21)
Old 01-07-13, 07:52 PM
cartman57
Driver

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
I am not claiming to be a Lexus Tech or anything for the record, I just know how they go about diagnosing these issues and the way they test for the leaks etc., would not show the issue. Combine that with the regular pulley noise and it is a difficult leak to diagnose. Hope I didn't come across arrogent.
You didn't come across that way by any means, your troubleshooting skills payed off,
The Lexus techs only work by the book, not mant around that actually take the time to figure things out.
Lrivera134 (11-26-22)
Old 01-08-13, 10:09 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

remember the techs are just techs, they come with different degrees of ability, I always say there is something to learn everyday....You might share with the techs and hopefully the next customer with the same issue will not suffer your pain.
Old 01-14-13, 08:37 PM
mrjustinx
Driver School Candidate

Dam , your good at troubleshooting
Old 03-05-13, 08:32 AM
Jumper73
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great find and fantastic detective work!
Old 03-05-13, 09:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Come on now HtownBlue, you just wanted to tear the engine down...LOL, but seriously great stuff...thanks for sharing.
SENSAY813 (12-07-21)
Old 03-06-13, 12:19 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Wow thanks very good information, thank you for all your hard work and persistent to resolve this issue
Old 09-26-13, 06:26 AM
Idiotica
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Nicely done! I want to tell you that I find the logical explanation just as important as the fix.
SENSAY813 (12-07-21)
Old 09-26-13, 07:04 PM
Denvermgb
Rookie

How many miles were on your RX when you completed this fix?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FINALLY SOLVED! P0171 and P0174 Codes!!!!