HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Newbie! Just picked up the car today....very fun!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 08:44 PM
jbripps
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie! Just picked up the car today....very fun!!

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a few days. This is an informative place, glad to be a part of it. I was looking at hybrids since my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited was getting a whopping 14 mpg (on a good day), and I was tired of spending so much at the pump here in NY. I do LOVE the Jeep and it's incredible in the crummy weather, but it was approaching 100k uneventful miles, so I thought it was time to get something more economical with fuel prices on the rise, again.

I stopped by the local Toyota dealer (Interstate Toyota in Airmont, NY). I drove a new Prius II. While I'm amazed at the hybrid technology, the car just didn't "do it" for me. I left still teetering on what to look at. The dealer called me later that day, and invited me back to test the Camry Hybrid. He also advised that they just obtained a 2010 Lexus Hybrid....hmmmm..."a Lexus Hybrid?" I asked. I was not aware of a Lexus hybrid, and to my surprise there are quite a few. Was never really a Lexus fan. I've been spoiled with my choice in autos...Bimmers and Porsches in the past.

BUT, I researched this so called 250h and got very excited. It had all of the creature comforts, and more, than I've had in the past, along with the 35 mpg (give or take a few). I test drove the 250h this morning. Drove it for about 40 minutes, a good stretch of highway too....used the eco mode, the power mode for a bit, managed to hit 100 mph easier than I thought, no worries, empty road, and not something I would do often if ever since my interest is stretching each gallon. I just wanted to see if the car had the capability. It sure did, and was very stable and smooth too. It's odd to hear the engine spool up first, and then transfer power to the wheels...it's like a clutch being slowly let out, but from I understand on variable transmissions, this is normal.

Anyhow, traded the jeep and drove home my new sled. It's very interesting to drive, and extremely smooth. I have seen quite a few negative comments about road noise, handling, etc. I must say they are mostly wrong...it's pretty quiet and the whirring is not intrusive at all, and confirms the regeneration of power as it occurs. I CANNOT believe I bought a car that will make me more patient as I have to glide to a red light. This car may save me from a heart attack, as I'm constantly complaining about the crappy drivers and getting frustrated. At least now, coasting is a good thing, right? 19k on the odometer with another 2 years 8 months on the warranty...so I have piece of mind too!

this is my first car with navigation. I have the standard edition with nav, the two-tone seats, larger wheels and some other neat things, like the lite up door sills. It's spotless...with the dark grey exterior...not sure what the name is. Averaged 35/36 mpg my first 60 miles, which I'm perfectly fine with. Oh...I only got one key (not super happy about that), where can I pick up another? I know it won't be cheap, but any leads on finding one at a reasonable price would be great.

THANK YOU!
Jon

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience. Thanks for listening!!
Old 03-06-12, 12:45 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Jon, welcome to CL.

I too started looking at the Yotas before choosing the HS250, which was far superior in comparison. I think most of the ride issues were made in comparison to other Lexus model cars as the HS can be a bit more harsh at times. I've had an ES and RX in the past and they are really good at what they were built for, smooth/quiet rides. The HS, too me has way better response, handling around curves and more "road feel" as well as better mpg. Haven't drove the CT so can't comment there, but its size turned me off right away. Guess we can't have everything. Maybe if there was a hybrid IS I would have a tougher decision but for the moment am very satisfied with the HS.

Some here increase tire pressure to gain more mpg this affects the ride/road noise so must be taken into consideration when assessing the car. I'm running at 40psi all around and find it still comfortable enough. I guess road conditions where you drive would have a far greater determination than anyone else's opinion on this matter.

As far as a new smart key, your local Lexus dealer or one online like Sewell read post #3 for discount info. http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...250h-2010.html and look here http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...250h-2010.html is the only option I know of as I'm sure they would have to program it to your car (check if you can program it yourself). I'm not sure if a smart key from another Lexus/Toyota model to use on your car will work.
Old 03-06-12, 11:32 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Congratulations!

Welcome to CL - we've a lot of HS owners here excited about their HS even after 2 years of launch.
Like you, I have a 2010 too but I bought it new in May 2010. I also have around 20k on it by now.

I wanted to get a Lexus after driving Camry for 4 years but then I got married and had to wait for next 10 years in another Camry .

The car is at least 2 years ahead of others in when it comes to combining luxury, hybrid economy and technology (not nav, bluetooth but the real brains behind using gas, battery in ECO, NORMAL and POWER modes). Lexus just launched 2013 GS with ECO and POWER modes.

Just like you, I used to be a very impatient driver cursing at others not getting out of left lane and let me pass them. Not anymore - may be it just added a year or two to my life

Here in Southern Tier, I do use higher pressure in my tires but not quite 40 - around 37 - careful when it snowing though. I'm getting around 36mpg during this time of the year - with temps around 60-70 in summer, I easily get 39 and better yet - countryside driving in summer 42 . Besides patient driving, there're many other tricks that you may have already seen here in the forum to stretch you gas dollars - some here are masters at it.

Please stay in touch and share your experiences as you go along.
Old 03-06-12, 06:38 PM
jbripps
Rookie

thanks for the feedback!! Had a pretty fun time driving today. Finally got the nav figured out, mostly. Is there any way at all to map an new route while driving? Not sure why Lexus precludes that when you can do all of the other nonsense while driving. My passenger could easily put a new route in too since the enter buttons are on both sides on the dash.....anyhow, not really that big of a deal, but I can seem to overide that.

My mpg was a bit lower today, but I was somewhat spirited. Still got 32 with some nice bursts on the highway. I'm getting the hang of "hypermiling" as I coast down long hills and glide to stop signs. It's kinda fun, but I won't be a legit hypermiler for the most part. I love that term.

Also finally figured out remote lock and unlock, very cool stuff. Never have to take a key outta my pocket.

Do your cars shutter a bit when the engine kicks on when still? Doesn't really bother me, but want to make sure I'm not running "rough".

Also, if some of you don't know, you can go to www.lexus.com and sign up, and enter you VIN number and get the full service history. I was pleased to see my 20k service was performed a month ago!! Yahooo!! Does anyone here us Toyota service out of location/convenience? Is there any real difference other than the smiles, etc??

thanks again.
J
Old 03-06-12, 07:15 PM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

Use Toyota for service? Are you crazy?

I don't know about you, but one of the reasons I didn't buy a Toyota (or Honda, for that matter) is that I wanted a luxury experience during servicing. Perhaps this is your first Lexus, jbripps, and I don't want to over-inflate your expectations, but let me just say this: Even moving from an Acura to a Lexus (HS, of course), I was blown away by the service experience at Lexus. My version of "luxury service" was that I'd receive a loaner vehicle during my service, so I could go about my day and not wait around for my car.

First of all, if I did wait around at a Lexus dealership, it would be like going on a fabulous vacation -- massages, good food, quiet if you need it. Second of all, the loaner program is definitely there, no questions asked. Third, I could literally have eaten off of the floor we DROVE THE CAR IN ON. I could go on, but let me just suggest that you head to your Lexus dealership at least once. See what you think. Then picture going back to Toyota for service. If your version of "convenience" is that you drive 10 minutes less to the Toyota place than to the Lexus place, might I gently suggest that the extra hour you will spend hassling your Toyota service technician about what, precisely, is taking so long -- measured against having a valet speed your car into a service bay the nanosecond you arrive at the Lexus dealership -- well, I think I've made my point. Lexus understands how to treat the luxury customer. Toyota isn't measured against that yardstick.

Or perhaps that's just my dealership. Since my other car is a VW, though, I definitely know from the "low end" service experience. And I'm very, very, very happy to head to Lexus, no matter how close a Toyota dealership might be.
Old 03-06-12, 08:26 PM
jbripps
Rookie

whoah!!!! really? messages? wow. I must stop in, thanks for tuning me up on that issue...didn't realize how much powder puffing went on. Have never really seen that before, not even at Porsche...not even close. And I HATED BMW service, terribly. Will keep you posted.

J
Old 03-07-12, 03:52 AM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

To be fair, it's a bunch of massage chairs but they're in the "quiet room," the "sports room" (always tuned to sporting events), and the regular waiting room adjacent to the kids' play area. Not the "quiet room," though. You must be speaking above a whisper to get a massage.
Old 03-07-12, 08:30 AM
beavlexus
Driver School Candidate

Cool Congrats JB!!

Congrats JB...I too just purchased a 2010 250H with 17k and only one key. It cost me over 300 smackers at the dealer plus 60 to program. I found a couple of places online,after the fact, they seemed legit, hope you don't have any trouble finding a second key!!

Beavlexus
Old 03-08-12, 04:21 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Massage!? I don't think my dealer does that - will have to check next time. But then, I usually head to one of the offices and work while my car is being serviced - much nicer than my cube!

While I like the service experience, you do pay for it. 25k service, which isn't much more than oil change and tire rotation, runs $160. Can't wait to see what they will charge for my upcoming 30k...

BTW, getting a new key seems expensive anywhere. I just bought a used Civic for my son, and had a key fob and a few keys made. After programming, the total was around $300.
Old 03-08-12, 10:10 AM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure you definitely pay more at a Lexus dealership... but then again, you'd pay more at ANY dealership than you will at an independent mechanic. That being said, I would be curious as to what you'd pay at a Toyota dealership vs. what you'd pay at a Lexus dealership. In my mind, the fact that the experience at Lexus is no-hassle is worth a few extra $$$. As I said above, the real issue is being able to get a no-cost loaner and be on my way while they fix my car (and I can go about my business without being slowed down by even routine maintenance). Plus the Lexus dealers around here are open on weekends almost all the time -- another convenient feature. On the other hand, if I'm paying DOUBLE what I'd pay for the same service at a Toyota dealership, that might make me think twice... Has anybody done service with Toyota for a Lexus?

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm talking about massage CHAIRS, not masseuses. But they're still quite nice!
Old 03-08-12, 06:30 PM
sublexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by jbripps
Do your cars shutter a bit when the engine kicks on when still? Doesn't really bother me, but want to make sure I'm not running "rough".J
I wouldn't describe it as a "shudder", nor annoying, but it is noticable.

Regarding the Lexus "service experience", my wife and I both think it is great! Much better than any other brand!
Old 03-08-12, 08:04 PM
jbripps
Rookie

looks like I can grab a key fob for under 100, including the uncut key. Don't really care if it's used as long as it's operable. Guess I'll have to schmooze my dealer to program for a minimal fee if anything....funny, when I traded my car, I only gave them one key. As he saw me dangle the second key to my car, they asked for it. My reply, not in a jerky way was..."hmmmm...when you give me a second key to the lexus...I'll give you a second key to the jeep"...we all giggled, but they didn't give me another key! So I have a jeep key on the key hook as a memento!!
Old 03-09-12, 07:18 AM
beavlexus
Driver School Candidate

Cool I like your Jeep Key story!

Originally Posted by jbripps
looks like I can grab a key fob for under 100, including the uncut key. Don't really care if it's used as long as it's operable. Guess I'll have to schmooze my dealer to program for a minimal fee if anything....funny, when I traded my car, I only gave them one key. As he saw me dangle the second key to my car, they asked for it. My reply, not in a jerky way was..."hmmmm...when you give me a second key to the lexus...I'll give you a second key to the jeep"...we all giggled, but they didn't give me another key! So I have a jeep key on the key hook as a memento!!
f

Like your story, too bad it didn't result in a second key for you. I think you are stuck with a $60.00 fee to program key at your local Lexus dealer...Wonder if a toyota dealer could do it cheaper, hummm

Good Luck, BL
Old 03-09-12, 07:43 AM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

FWIW, when we bought our ('11) HS, used, we were immediately given one key and told that the owner still had the 2nd, and it would be provided as soon as the owner surrendered it (which would take a week). If the owner didn't provide that 2nd key within a week, the dealership promised to get us that 2nd key free. Makes me wonder... Is Lexus selling used cars on consignment??? Why would an owner hold back a 2nd key? All is well; we got the 2nd key. But it did strike me as odd.
Old 03-09-12, 02:48 PM
jbripps
Rookie

No clue why they are short on keys. Called local Lexus...they advised they will only program a key that THEY sell...won't program a third party key. Key fob is $300, cutting the key is $50, and programming is $25. That is excessive I should say!!!

Called my Toyota salesman who sold me the car. They were great. Advised if I bring the fob to them, they'll cut the key, program it, and wash my car....gratis. Very pleased, and will pick up a fob on ebay for sub $100. If they follow thru, I'll leave my second Jeep key .

FEW QUESTIONS:

When I have the heat on, the side vents by the windows blow hot, while the center vents do not...is there something I'm missing?

Also, is there a way to open the rear doors by sensor without having to unlock the front door first?

That's about it for now! Having a blast this week driving. Gas is $4.07 now....wow!!

J

Quick Reply: Newbie! Just picked up the car today....very fun!!