IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weight Reduction ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 07:43 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Reduction ???

Was just brainstorming and what forms of weight reduction options do we have?
I already know the basics like the spare and jack. Im just wondering what other options are out there. For example, i know many people take out crash beams and heavy things of the sort.

To start out i was thinking about doing a seat change.
Old 07-07-09, 07:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Sad to say you're on the right track. The seats, as great as they are, weigh a ton. Replacing them with something lighter isn't hard to do at all.

I've also heard of a company producing carbon fibre panels to replace your OEM sunroof glass. That saves significant weight AND takes it off a very high point in the car which helps transition stability.

Removing bumpers is taking your life in your hands. You might only need it once, but when you need it, there's no substitute.

Spare, jack, lightweight battery, engine covers (all of them), lighter wheels (yes, there are much lighter wheels available), a truly lightweight exhaust (forget this dual muffler, dual pipe thing - single muffler & single pipe is lighter).

If you really want to get radical, strip the interior as far as you are comfortable, install a proper mount for a five or six point harness and ditch the airbags (this might also permanently **** off the gauges...). Still lots more, but at this point, you'd have been better off starting with something lighter to begin with.

Still, plenty of stuff could be lighter. I've been told there's a shop in Buford, GA that has replicated all the IS-F bodywork in carbon fibre as well - there may be some weight savings there too, but it will come at a steep price.
Old 07-07-09, 08:09 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Weight reduction at a steep price is something that i have been reading about on some GTR forums. Its also a route that i would rather not take.

For now i was thinking about a seat change complemented by a set of light weight wheels. From the research that ive done i can conclude that the shaving of rotational weight has great benefits.

Found some info about Import Tuners time attack isf here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3155553

They stripped the car, but only loss 27 lbs.

In a video i found says they lost a total of 175lbs.
http://videos.urbanracer.com/viewvid...EMA_Lexus_ISF/
Skip to 1:55

Last edited by MRxSLAYx; 07-07-09 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 12:43 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

This is a very intersting topic......but I think Lexus is coming out with a lighter version of IS-F but I heard that it is going to cost a lot more.......
Old 07-08-09, 04:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
For now i was thinking about a seat change complemented by a set of light weight wheels. From the research that ive done i can conclude that the shaving of rotational weight has great benefits.
In order of preference I'd start with the wheels, then doing a lightweight battery. I saved 26.5lbs by using an Odyssey PC680 battery. I've been running with this battery since May 2008 with no problems. I would then do the seats last as I think they complement the car well and are quite comfortable, but there is considerable weight to be saved if you do decide on switching them out.
Old 07-08-09, 05:48 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

CF trunk / CF hood / CF quarter panels / CF Fenders / CF rotors / Light Weight Calipers / Light Weight Wheels / Light Weight Tires / Remove all interior (from rear) / Remove Radio Head Unit / Remove A/C / CF doors / Titanium Exhaust (10lbs) / Air bags / .... - 200-300 lbs?

All that might only cost you around 40-50 grand?
Old 07-08-09, 05:59 AM
anajri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so what to expect give or take a few LBS

easy savings

26.5 LBS Battery
6 LBS PTS exhaust
35 LBS spare jacks and tools
40 LBS light wheels
10 lbs cf fenders, hood and trunk

117.5 LBS savings

hardest savings
10 LBS aprox light seats
27 lbs noise material stripping

144 lbs total savings not to bad exept for the last 30 lbs........

ad this to the 25-30 more hps from the intake and exhaust,
sound good to me....
did I miss something?

Last edited by anajri; 07-08-09 at 06:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Daswede420 (04-29-23)
Old 07-08-09, 06:55 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
In order of preference I'd start with the wheels, then doing a lightweight battery. I saved 26.5lbs by using an Odyssey PC680 battery. I've been running with this battery since May 2008 with no problems. I would then do the seats last as I think they complement the car well and are quite comfortable, but there is considerable weight to be saved if you do decide on switching them out.
James do any autoparts sell this battery?
Old 07-08-09, 06:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

anajri I wouldn't consider the cf fenders, hood and trunk as easy or cheap savings. I do believe though that you can save a lot more weight than 10lbs for the seats. I would also add the seats to be in the easy category. The factory seats weigh at good 65+lbs and quality aftermarket ones are less than 20lbs. That's approximately 90lbs saved with just the seats.

Originally Posted by anajri

easy savings

26.5 LBS Battery $150
6 LBS PTS exhaust $1500
35 LBS spare jacks and tools $Free
40 LBS light wheels $3000 aprox
90 LBS aprox light seats $not sure but used EVO Recaro seats would be nice.

197.5 LBS savings

hardest savings
10 lbs cf fenders, hood and trunk $$$
27 lbs noise material stripping $free but not worth the trouble

234.50 lbs total savings not to bad exept for the last 30 lbs........

ad this to the 25-30 more hps from the intake and exhaust,
sound good to me....
did I miss something?
Old 07-08-09, 07:50 AM
anajri
Driver

ok good stuff
here it is. well by easy I ment simple bolt on or easy replacement did not mean by price at all.

easy savings

26.5 LBS Battery
6 LBS PTS exhaust
35 LBS spare jacks and tools
40 LBS light wheels
10 lbs cf fenders, hood and trunk
80 lbs Racing seats

197 LBS savings

hardest savings
27 lbs noise material stripping

224 lbs total savings not to bad exept for the last 30 lbs........

now it really sounds good. defenitly would be an inprovement in performance
Old 07-08-09, 07:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Even with all that completed the car will still weigh in at a porky weight of approximately 3657lbs. I calculated that number based on my racing weight of 3830lbs last year with my weight of 163lbs, 1/4 of fuel, mini battery and spare/tools removed.

Last edited by caymandive; 07-08-09 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 08:04 AM
anajri
Driver

Even with all that completed the car will still weigh in at a porky weight of approximately 3657lbs. I calculated that number based on my racing weight of 3830lbs last year with 1/4 of fuel, mini battery and spare/tools removed.

wow thankd for the info
every 100lbs should help about a .1sec in the 1/4... and being a drag racer at heart I'll take it. This together with the extra Hp should help overtake the M'S easier and maybe even things up with the C63 ( stock of course)

Alf
Old 07-08-09, 08:09 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

wow thankd for the info
every 100lbs should help about a .1sec in the 1/4... and being a drag racer at heart I'll take it. This together with the extra Hp should help overtake the M'S easier and maybe even things up with the C63 ( stock of course)

Alf
My thoughts exactly, but i'm not so hard core as to remove sound deadening material. LOL

Hate to stray OT, but ever consider setting up a methanol injection kit? May be especially beneficial where you live. If my buddies methanol project goes well I might tinker with it as well. Most common in vehicles with aftermarket forced induction systems, such as turbochargers or superchargers, but have to wonder if just maybe it would work with a high compression engine like the F's.

Last edited by caymandive; 07-08-09 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 08:17 AM
anajri
Driver

My thoughts exactly, but i'm not so hard core as to remove sound deadening material. LOL

Hate to stray OT, but ever consider setting up a methanol injection kit? May be especially beneficial where you live. If my buddies methanol project goes well I might tinker with it as well.

for the F or the race car?

if for the F, have not thought about. for N/A cars i have not hear of that.. tell me more.

For my race car have not done it cause dont need it.. made 980 whp on only 31 LBS of boost and still have not been albe to use all that power because of the track conditions in our country are not the best.... but hope to run 7's real soon..
Old 07-08-09, 08:32 AM
anajri
Driver

for the F or the race car?

if for the F, have not thought about. for N/A cars i have not hear of that.. tell me more.

For my race car have not done it cause dont need it.. made 980 whp on only 31 LBS of boost and still have not been albe to use all that power because of the track conditions in our country are not the best.... but hope to run 7's real soon..

ok never mind saw the website......
i use a mix of sunoco race fuel with regular gas but im thinking this would save some money in the long run

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction ???