GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 08:35 AM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb GX470 Secrets

I just recently purchased an 06. I was looking at the third row seat and noticed there was a place to attach a middle headrest. I figured that I would have to buy one if I wanted one. Then I happened to upzip the zipper running across the back of one of the third row seats. It turns out that the middle headrest is stored inside that seat. Pretty slick.

That made me think that there might be other hidden compartments, etc. that I don't know about.

Has anyone else found any type of "hidden" features with their GX?
Old 02-15-09, 02:28 PM
pickle
Rookie

The only other hidden compartment I can think of is where the wheel lock adapter is. It was like finding a hidden treasure when I finally found it. It's in a little black leather pouch attatched to the tire jack.
The sales person I dealt with wasn't very informtive on the GX, I have learned a lot reading the owners manual, as well as reading older threads in here. I believe I knew more about the truck than he did! Like, the sun visors flipping over to the side windows, and then pulling out, and the second sun visor that folds down when the primary one is flipped to the side. Also, the ignition is electronic, and doesn't need to be held to start the vehicle. There is also the trick to override the navigation system, and the self dipping side mirrors as long as the adjuster switch is left to the L or R position, but overriden in the neutral position.
Old 02-18-09, 06:29 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, there is this button that if you push it.... I really can't talk about it here.
The following users liked this post:
kelben21 (12-11-17)
Old 02-18-09, 09:04 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
Well, there is this button that if you push it.... I really can't talk about it here.
Thats the "Downhill assist" control button
Old 02-18-09, 09:31 AM
DrVolkl
Rookie

The ignition thing is cool. Took me a while to get out of the habit of holding it over to "crank" the engine.
Old 02-18-09, 10:07 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms

lol

Old 09-25-09, 09:51 PM
Tenant
Driver School Candidate

what else, guys?
Old 09-26-09, 06:08 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

On the Passenger Side Glove Compartment Door frame (ie Once opened) there is a s/w to adjust the TPMS warning if at all you get on the cluster. The s/w is identfied as Main(Up) and 2nd(Down). The s/w when on Main is for normal and for Snow ride you have to move to done position. If at there is a warning when you have the tyres changed, you need to toggle this s/w so that the ECU reads the new values of the Five wheels sensors.
Old 09-28-09, 09:22 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
The ignition thing is cool. Took me a while to get out of the habit of holding it over to "crank" the engine.
I am sorry I didnt get this part you dont need to holding it over to "crank" the engine".

Can somebody explain this please?
Old 09-28-09, 10:10 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
I am sorry I didnt get this part you dont need to holding it over to "crank" the engine".

Can somebody explain this please?
Just tap the key to the start position and the truck will auto start. You don't need to hold the key in the start position until the engine starts.

It's a cool feature, but I find myself trying to do this in my Jeep Wrangler. Needless to say, the Jeep doesn't have this feature.
Old 09-29-09, 08:47 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

So you dont need to hold the key untill it starts? I am going to try this at home today?
Old 09-29-09, 02:24 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
So you dont need to hold the key untill it starts? I am going to try this at home today?
Nope. Just tap it and the car does the rest. It's the coolest feature imo.
Old 09-29-09, 09:08 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Nope. Just tap it and the car does the rest. It's the coolest feature imo.
There is a slight resistance to take the key to the "start" position (almost like a spring action) and the car starts. is this what you mean by "just tap it". I don't need to hold the key at the start position.
Old 09-30-09, 12:13 AM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Options2k
There is a slight resistance to take the key to the "start" position (almost like a spring action) and the car starts. is this what you mean by "just tap it". I don't need to hold the key at the start position.

Yes...

Have you never owned any other cars? All my other vehicles require me to hold the key in the "start" position until the engine fires up... if I let go early the car will not "ignite". (normal car: Twist right, hold until starter makes engine fire, release... Lexus: Twist right, let go immediately to do other things, car does the rest)

I'm not sure what you guys don't get lol. Try twisting your hand clockwise real quick and let go. Your lexus will start.

Try this in another car and it will crank for a fraction of a second and nothing with happen.
Old 09-30-09, 04:45 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Very informative thread, nice one on the engine start.

Quick Reply: GX470 Secrets