IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Navigation DVD Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 11:25 AM
PriceCzech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Navigation DVD Update

After searching through the forums for some detailed information, I was finally able to figure out how to update my navigation DVD. In the process, I decided to take some pictures to make it easier for others to update their navigation systems without paying the dealership to do it.

I had some initial problems finding out where the navigation DVD was actually located, but eventually I found the answer on one thread. According to another thread, the toolkit has a 'tool' (paperclip-like object) to pop off the clock console (but I didn't know about it, nor did I use it). I used some toothpicks and business cards to get it to come off, as well as the suction cups from a radar detector. The business cards didn't help much, you just need something strong enough (like a thick paperclip) to push the metal clips in enough so you can pull it forward.

Then I turned on the car, ejected the DVD, and popped in the new one. This will work if you only want to update the map information. I had a hybrid DVD (5.1 loader with 7.1 data), so I needed to update the firmware. For some reason, I was not able to do the override with my stock navigation DVD, but after the update, it worked fine. From what I could tell, both were the 5.1 loader.

To update the firmware, remove the navigation fuse from the driver's side fuse box, which is under the steering wheel. It is a 10A fuse labeled as 'TV NO.1'. I left mine out for a couple of minutes, then popped it back in.

If you're like me and haven't picked up a spare fuse set yet, you'll probably need the fuse puller (located in the main fuse box, on the driver's side of the engine bay). You'll have to remove the side cover by taking out six push tabs and one screw-like holster to get to the fuse box. If you need more info on this, consult the manual. I didn't remove the bottom cover, as I didn't want to have to reinstall that as well. The side cover tucks under the front cover, so you have to somewhat pry it out from under the front one, but it's not too difficult.

Hopefully this helps, as it took me a week to verify where the DVD was located, then another couple of days to figure out how to pop it open without breaking anything. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 08-17-08, 11:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Unless you are trying to load an older version of the firmware than what is currently installed, there is no need to pull the fuse to update the navigation DVD. All you need to do is to eject the old DVD and insert the updated one.

I'd highly recommend using the tools that come with the car. They are much stronger than toothpicks, and are perfect for the job.
Old 08-17-08, 11:46 AM
PriceCzech
Driver School Candidate

Then maybe I had the 6.1 firmware on there, but I'll keep that in mind when the 8.1 navigation DVD comes out.

I'll definitely use the tools next time, now that I know about them.
Old 08-17-08, 11:52 AM
andyboy
Lead Lap

Where are the tools located that came with the car?
Old 08-17-08, 01:18 PM
KaBui16
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I was waiting for someone to DIY on this.
Old 08-17-08, 01:31 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up !
Old 08-17-08, 01:32 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andyboy
Where are the tools located that came with the car?
In the tool kit by the spare tire. It's in the manual.
Old 08-17-08, 05:33 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Evitzee
In the tool kit by the spare tire. It's in the manual.
Yes, they're hiding in a little pouch in the toolkit.
Old 10-20-08, 10:08 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

What does the 7.1 disc do and can you use it in a 2006?
Old 10-20-08, 10:10 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
What does the 7.1 disc do and can you use it in a 2006?
It eliminates the need to press the "I agree" button each time you start the car. Seems silly to buy a 7.1 disc now, since the 8.1 version is out. Both should work just fine in a 2006 car.
Old 10-20-08, 10:12 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

That's weird, I was told the 07 disc doesn't work for 06s I guess I'll get the 08 then
Old 10-17-11, 09:21 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

tried popping the face out but it's super hard to do. is a suction cup really needed?
Old 10-17-11, 10:10 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you need to push the sticks in.
Old 10-17-11, 10:22 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by istarzan
I think you need to push the sticks in.
Great write up Price... as for the tools, all I used was what was found in the tool kit with the spare tire. I pushed it all the way in and it didn't budge. What i found easy was starting on the left side. Push the pin tool in and then slightly the left so that it pops the metal bracket in and then I used a credit card to help ease the top portion off. It poped out after than and then the rest was a gentle tug and the whole thing came off.

Went to the dvd menu screen, popped out the dvd and put in my copy. Waited about 2 or 3 minutes and it updates everything.

You lose previous destinations you've been to and would have to reset the region to your location.
Old 10-17-11, 11:37 PM
lexusDummy
Driver School Candidate

nice write up and thanks for the info i guess i can get the 8.1 and see if its a good update haha

Quick Reply: DIY Navigation DVD Update