Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus dealer alignment cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 12:34 PM
hokietech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus dealer alignment cost

I just got a quote from my local lexus deal, pohanka lexus, the cost of four wheel alignment is $170. Took my car to the tires plus got it done for $50 w/ coupon. Does dealer do better alignmnent? What are your experiences? Btw, pohanka lexus sucks in Northern Virginia/Dc area. They seem to be very impatient and unknowledgeable when your ask for the price for the services. Take your cars to other surrounding dealers. Lets shares your experiences!!!
Old 04-27-08, 12:48 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hokietech
I just got a quote from my local lexus deal, pohanka lexus, the cost of four wheel alignment is $170. Took my car to the tires plus got it done for $50 w/ coupon. Does dealer do better alignmnent? What are your experiences? Btw, pohanka lexus sucks in Northern Virginia/Dc area. They seem to be very impatient and unknowledgeable when your ask for the price for the services. Take your cars to other surrounding dealers. Lets shares your experiences!!!
quality of alignment solely has to do with how experienced and how committed the alignment tech is to getting it done right... We charge $70 for an alignment, and I'd put my primary alignment tech up against any alignment tech anywhere... best bet is to get a printout of the specs when done, then you can judge for yourself when done...
Old 04-27-08, 08:20 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would take it somewhere reputable instead, cuz $170 is a lot. i take it to a local place and it costs me like $70

Peace out
Old 04-27-08, 10:24 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
quality of alignment solely has to do with how experienced and how committed the alignment tech is to getting it done right... We charge $70 for an alignment, and I'd put my primary alignment tech up against any alignment tech anywhere... best bet is to get a printout of the specs when done, then you can judge for yourself when done...
+1 it doesnt matter where you get it done. it depends on who aligns it for you. some people are **** about perfectly aligning peoples cars, some people aren't. but lexus should have the least amount of errors. because if you get to many cars return under your name. your pretty much fired after that.
Old 04-28-08, 10:56 PM
labrealiv
Driver

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
+1 it doesnt matter where you get it done. it depends on who aligns it for you. some people are **** about perfectly aligning peoples cars, some people aren't. but lexus should have the least amount of errors. because if you get to many cars return under your name. your pretty much fired after that.
Does Lexus (dealership) do the alignment on site?

I haven't had an alignment done on mine. Alignment for previous cars, incl. Acura, were sub-contracted: dealership/service guys took car to a wheel/tire place nearby. Doubled the price too i'm sure!

Old 08-15-16, 09:16 AM
TomBurke1
Driver School Candidate

Default Cost of 4 wheel alignment

The wheel alignment on the LS460 is a little more complicated then a regular car. The caster and camber is adjusted from the "girdle" betweeen the front wheels, not with shims . I had mine done at the dealeship when they had a special. Less then $100.00 total bill. The statement that the quality of the job is dependant on the skill and ethics of the person doing the work is spot on. I had checked with a few independants and was surprised how many have no idea how to adjust the caster and caster. One guy told me there was no way to adjust the caster and camber.

Last edited by TomBurke1; 08-15-16 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts..
Old 10-15-16, 12:22 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I think the difference of the Lexus alignment and some place else, is there is constant training for Lexus techs to keep up with the latest. Most alignment places are lazy and if it looks close they won't fool with any adjustment, and some places at least in the old days could ruin something on the car using an air hammer to try to loosen something, my brother had that happen and he had just installed all new parts and didn't tighten nothing. I like how if the caster and camber is out they say it is not adjustable. In other words just pay us for the toe in because we aint taking the time for $100. to fool with anything else. And can't blame them, they can't afford to work for free.
Old 10-17-16, 08:17 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by dicer
I think the difference of the Lexus alignment and some place else, is there is constant training for Lexus techs to keep up with the latest. Most alignment places are lazy and if it looks close they won't fool with any adjustment, and some places at least in the old days could ruin something on the car using an air hammer to try to loosen something, my brother had that happen and he had just installed all new parts and didn't tighten nothing. I like how if the caster and camber is out they say it is not adjustable. In other words just pay us for the toe in because we aint taking the time for $100. to fool with anything else. And can't blame them, they can't afford to work for free.
That is a pretty bold statement.

To say that the dealer is the only one that can do an alignment properly is a pretty silly statement.

It all depends on how good of a place you go to and how good the technicians are, the same applies to Lexus dealers.

Do you really think dealers are the only ones that have ongoing training? Caster and Camber is not adjustable on many vehicles, but on those that are, a good alignment shop will take care of all of them. Also, sometimes, an air hammer is a necessary evil when things are rusted and corroded.
Old 10-21-16, 06:52 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

I did not say ALL alignment shops. There is one near me highly rated, but the alignment prices vary per brand and type of vehicle, the lowest price if I remember right starts at $160. and goes up from there I forget the top price I think its in the high 300. range. So proof you get what you pay for.
Old 10-21-16, 07:44 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

That may be even crazier.

We charge a set rate no matter the car.

That includes a local pro teams competition NSX, Vipers, Ferraris, etc. So long as its adjustable without chassis disassembly, its included.

Even things like adjusting rear caster on the few cars that have that adjustment.
Old 10-21-16, 07:42 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I know that if I had an alignment shop I would be charging more than others, that is if I had to buy a $50,000. alignment system, and pay $4000. a month rent for the building. And if you have employees the monthly out go would be nasty. If I didn't charge more for the alignment then I'd have to have a super low competitive price and hope most all other dimensions other than toe would be good so you could move a car in and out in less than a half hour or even less time. Spending 1 hour per car would be unprofitable for $100. If you buy a 50k dollar excavator or dozer you better be getting at least $1500 a day for it. And with it there is no other over head other than insurance and operator and the big one fuel, unless your a one man show. With an alignment system there is lots of overhead, the building its in for one, and all the things associated with the building. To survive you would have to do total repairs on vehicles and that adds a lot more overhead.
Old 10-21-16, 08:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I mean, we do over 2 million a year in revenue and amortize an alignment machine over 10 years with updates yearly. 5-6k a year is a drop in the bucket towards the alignments we sell. We do one alignment a day, we break even. Even the most difficult of cars shouldn't take an experienced tech over 90 minutes.
Old 10-21-16, 08:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I mean, we do over 2 million a year in revenue and amortize an alignment machine over 10 years with updates yearly. 5-6k a year is a drop in the bucket towards the alignments we sell. We do one alignment a day, we break even. Even the most difficult of cars shouldn't take an experienced tech over 90 minutes.