SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My Carputer

Old 01-30-08, 08:45 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My Carputer

OK, it's late so, this won't be a long write-up, just a couple of teaser pics.

I've got a nice little demo video that I'm uploading to YouTube but, I'm not staying up to wait for it to load and process! Will post later along with the specs of the machine. But, here's what my Nav screen boots up to now.

I did A LOT of research and some messing around...as far as I can tell, there's no way to tap into the factory touch-screen so, I installed a mouse touchpad on the center console. I wanted it to be as unobtrusive (and factory looking) as possible. Here's my solution.

I still have my factory navigation system (with touchscreen). I can easily switch back and forth via my nifty custom switch; see my previous post below...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=331293

My Motorola Bluetooth kit is still installed. The computer front-end I'm using (Centrafuse) doesn't support my phone at the moment but, a new phone module is coming in a few short weeks (fingers crossed). Once that happens, I'll integrate the phone into this and the Motorola Bluetooth kit and big silver button controls will go away (I've already made a place for the phone control in the Carputer).

This was quite a bit of research/work (above and beyond getting the NavTool and switch installed). However, if, like me, you want it all with little to no compromises, this does it. I have Nav, CD, mp3, satellite radio (Sirius please!), videos (avi, mpg, etc), DVD, Bluetooth (currently data-only, voice soon), Internet, even voice-control (if I want to get it set up...one thing at a time, please!)

Opinions/comments welcome/wanted.

-Greg

EDIT - OK, here's a link to my demo video...

Some more details...

It's an Intel 1.83 GHz Core Duo processor, 1 GB of RAM, 250 GB 2.5" laptop HDD. I bought the computer, already built, from mp3car.com. If you're interested in doing something like this, mp3car.com is just an invaluable resource! They also sold me the 12VDC computer power supply.

The computer is installed in the trunk (I refuse to post pics of that until I make it pretty!).

I ran a constant hot from the battery (through the firewall, down under the passenger-side scuff plate, and through the backseat).

I grabbed switched power from the same source as the NavTool interface (it's in the wiring harness of the DVD navigation unit in the trunk).

I ran a USB cable up through the back seat and up into the center console where I installed a USB hub. The touchpad and Bluetooth adapter are plugged into that.

I use a Sirius SC-C1 receiver and a Sirius-to-USB adapter that I got from MJS Gadgets.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has on this. However, I don't have plans to post step-by-step instructions. I mean, if you need to ask "How does the scuff plate come off?" or "What's the difference between the switched 12V wire and the constant 12V wire?" you probably shouldn't be doing this mod! With a little bit of modesty, I'm pretty good with electronics...and this was quite a challenge for me!

As for time...the NavTool installation and the custom switch took an entire weekend (about 16 hours of work, total). Beyond that, the Carputer took probably another 20-24 hours. This includes prep work, installing and testing the software, loading all the media, and then finally actually putting the sucker into the car.

Total cost, including the NavTool interface and backup camera - ~$2,000.00ish

Last edited by Habious; 07-24-09 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Added YouTube video link + more details
Old 01-30-08, 10:25 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

19 looks and not one reply!!!! H, this is insane !!! Pics of the procedure stat11!!!
Old 01-30-08, 10:37 PM
biggie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what in the world

wow...nice...
Old 01-30-08, 10:44 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Wow Well done!!

More pics and info please
Old 01-30-08, 10:45 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, looks impressive!!
Old 01-30-08, 10:49 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks boys !!!!! Now share the info !!!
Old 01-31-08, 12:32 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice
Old 01-31-08, 02:38 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome upfit!

What kind of $$ and time am I looking at to add to my 2002?
Old 01-31-08, 05:27 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

That is very impressive. As soon as I am done here, I am going to look for the long version on YouTube. Excellent work!
Old 01-31-08, 08:06 AM
Habious

See my original post above...I've added a link to my YouTube demo video.
Old 01-31-08, 09:06 AM
Cruizing
Rookie

Incredible convenience. The access to internet is terrific. Like having a laptop built into the car. Plus I assume its modifiable for future upgrades since it PC based?
Old 01-31-08, 09:58 AM
Habious

Exactly Cruizing. It's a PC. Running Windows XP Professional. Anything you can do with a home computer, you can do with this. This biggest limitation is the input device. I couldn't make the touchscreen work (if ANYONE has info on this...bring it!!) so I went with the touchpad as a nice compromise. Right now, there's no keyboard hooked up at all. I've toyed with the idea of installing a small one inside the center armrest but, I haven't found one small enough to fit yet.

The lack-of-a-keyboard is the biggest limitation. Typing takes some time! But, the front-end software is really designed to make this as easy as possible. I wouldn't want to write out a long e-mail with the on-screen keyboard but, it does get the job done.
Old 01-31-08, 11:27 AM
Habious

tfeni52355,

I've updated my original post to include the answers to your questions regarding time and $$$.
Old 01-31-08, 11:29 AM
Cruizing
Rookie

Because its a PC a small folding keyboard that plugs into a USB is the way to go. Like this- http://www.matias.ca/foldingkeyboard/
Old 01-31-08, 11:57 AM
Habious

Cruizing,

Where would you put that though? That would be a bit awkward to pull out of the center console, unfold, and set on your lap. If the passenger was planning on writing out a long Word document, I think that would be a great solution. I as thinking more along the lines of a keyboard that's about 6" wide that I could permanently install inside the top part of the center console. So, lift up the armrest and there it would be. Something to make it easier to type in a search term into Google or something.

I've searched for "mini-keyboards" but, none I've found are quite small enough.

I guess it would all depend on what the ultimate plan for the computer is. I see it more as my multi-media entertainment system, not as a laptop with a folding roof.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Carputer