IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installing NAV A/V Inputs + Double DVB-T TV Tuner...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 12:43 AM
vodka1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Installing NAV A/V Inputs + Double DVB-T TV Tuner... [DIY]

Ok guys.

I just bought this A/V new equipment on ebay.

I also bought this Double TNT (DVB-T) TV tuner with Dibcom chip (the best for now).

I'll make a complete review/report of installation and usage since I got it installed and tested on my Is220d (Obsidian black/Ivory leather).

If someone's got interest for this of course !

See you soon,

V1.

Last edited by vodka1; 01-25-08 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-08-07, 12:56 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, good luck with all of that
Old 12-08-07, 01:08 AM
vodka1
Driver School Candidate

Wink

It won't take long actually... I'm used to it, i mean disassembling the Nav unit. Did it again yesterday, cos I had some vibration behind the steering wheel. Unfortunatly I couldn't spot the problem.
Old 12-08-07, 02:38 AM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

hurry up and post pics already !!!
Old 12-08-07, 04:06 AM
Letz250
Pole Position

Very interesting! Waiting for your report.
Old 12-09-07, 01:56 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

I have the NAV TV (non ML) and I love it. There is a post with some pix around here somewhere. I am interested to see the TV Tuner - that looks cool. Post when you can/
Old 01-24-08, 01:19 PM
vodka1
Driver School Candidate

Smile The Operation...

Whoomp there it is !

First of all. Sorry for beeing this long... I had to buy another DVB-T Tuner as the first one was never available. I bought this one actually.

Installation time : 4h30.
Preamble : Car equipped with the NAV + ML Sound System and DVD Changer.

So here are some pictures of the equipments and the DIY :

The A/V input unit :

The DVB-T Double TV Tuner unit :

Ok, now get your screwdrivers...

The following photos will show you how to disassemble the front NAV unit :

* Pull up the central unit. You gotta pull it up hard but do it with your own two hands. No tool's needed.

* Then you'll take the S11 piece off pulling it up and out in the same move.

* You'll then discover (first picture below) the two screws that hold the ash tray in its place. Simply remove them and pull out the ash tray. Now you'll notice (second picture below) the two bolts under the NAV unit that hold the NAV unit in place.

* Now let's pay attention to the vents uppon the NAV unit. You'll need a thin screwdriver to gently pull down the little plastic parts to free the vent unit. What seems to be the more difficult part is to pull out the vent unit with care. Pull it out by using two large screwdrivers on each side of the vent unit.

Last edited by vodka1; 01-25-08 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-24-08, 01:21 PM
vodka1
Driver School Candidate

Smile

* Now put the vent unit on top of the front board. Or I guess you can also remove the wires from it and put the vent unit away.

* You'll then notice the two upper (other) bolts that hold the NAV unit.

* You should then remove those 4 bolts and pull out the whole NAV unit. Move the front passenger seat to the front and protect it with towels. We'll place the NAV unit on it while plugging the A/V input.

There you can see the the NAV unit. I had already plugged in the A/V input with my Sony camera as AV1.

* There are three connectors that need to be plugged into the NAV unit. If I remember well, on is for Audio, other one for Video and the last one for switching the interface.

On the following picture, you can see the 12 pins AUDIO connector that has the "Tel Mute" blue wire. The other connector you see at the bottom left (that's plugged into a blue socket) of the unit is the 6 pins VIDEO connector.

On this 6 pins VIDEO connector are two wires (brown and blue) that need to be plugged together first. If the picture is black and white or it's not steady, then remove this binding between those two wires..

The third connector is not shown here. It allows switching the interface from DVD to AV1/2 inputs...

Can you see the upper right big connector with black and white big wire ? This wire is the "ground". The orange on the opposite side of the connecter is ACC. (+12v. when ACC ON) from wich I tool the power for the DVB-T Tuner I put in the glove box. See below.

The following picture shows you how you can disassemble the glove box by :

1) Pulling down the black piece of plastic.
2) Removing the bolts that hold the SRS front knee airbag unit, and pulling down the whole airbag unit (WITH CARE! Don't get punched )
3) Remove the little swrews that hold the glove box.

* Finally, assemble everything back together and you can take the road for some testing.
Old 01-24-08, 01:21 PM
vodka1
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Comments :

* I put the A/V unit on the top of the NAV unit. There was enough place to allow that.
* I originally put the two antennas in front of the main board, under the wind shield, but I saw that the reception was better putting those antennas behind the rear seats, under the rear glass.
* For AV2, I let a 3 RCA Audio/Video cable run from the NAV unit to the central "glove" box. This way, I may soon use a Pocket 2,5" multimedia drive to play mp3 and divx/xvid movies.
* The car now lost an audio facility (functionality) with the use of this external A/V input system. Dunno why but when using the lexus built-in audio "AUX IN" (situated inside the central box beetween front seats) with my MP3 player, I don't get the stereo anymore. Sound only comes out from left speakers... I'll ask the dealer if this is a known "side effect" and if there's a remedy... Actually it's not that annoying as I placed the 2nd AV2 Input inside this central box. So I can use this plug now.
* You activate the external A/V signal by prushing the "DISC" button twice. Then you can switch from AV1 to AV2 input everytime you push the Seek/Track button for at least 1 second.

You can find a video of the result here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viHDscANlJA

Sorry for this poor quality. Nights are longer than days these days.. oh nights ! sorry... I'll try and shoot a new video soon.

Don't hesitate to ask me questions if you have any. Modos, please feel free to correct my english words to get this article more understandable.

Ty,

V1.

Last edited by vodka1; 01-25-08 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-24-08, 01:36 PM
shinbrianj
Driver

does this work on non-ML navs?
Old 01-24-08, 02:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thats great if that is a TV signal you are getting!! Thanks for the post and info. Do you have the DVD option with your navi?
Old 01-24-08, 02:02 PM
vodka1
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

Originally Posted by shinbrianj
does this work on non-ML navs?
I don't know. We don't have any NAV w/o ML versions in Europe.
Old 01-24-08, 02:04 PM
vodka1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
thats great if that is a TV signal you are getting!! Thanks for the post and info. Do you have the DVD option with your navi?
Of course it is. But I couldn't drive the car, hold the camera and change the channels all the same time... That's for the next video...
Old 01-24-08, 02:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so can you install more monitors with this setup? reason i ask is im trying to install monitors in the back headrest off the nav/dvd signal. all i want is to tap into the feed so that what i have on the display in the front will duplicate in the back seat. if you have any info on how or the wire that allows this please share.
Thank you!
Old 01-25-08, 12:07 AM
vodka1
Driver School Candidate

Yes you can. There are 2 other "Video out" yellow RCA cables comming out of the A/V input unit for the back headrest.

You can see them on the left side of the A/V input unit on this photo :

Quick Reply: Installing NAV A/V Inputs + Double DVB-T TV Tuner...