Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Lexus paint-clearcoat is weak and worthless. Should we unite in a class action suit?
I agree the the weak paint-clearcoat issue, count me in the class action suit against Toyota-Lexus.
46.27%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is absolutely perfect just the way it is!
16.42%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is weak, yes, but it does conforms to the US Federal regulations.
37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 04:57 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE

It is unconceivable to accept the type of paint or combination of paint-clearcoat that Toyota-Lexus is using in our cars. There should not be a difference between lets say BMW, Mercedes or Lexus. Every car company should provide a paint-clearcoat with the minimum acceptable requirements to their customers considering real world conditions of the roads.

Here in CL we have lots of evidence to show that the paint-clearcoat is too soft or weak for use in daily driving. Car companies know that roads are not perfect and we find every day in the streets, roads and highways, among other insignificant debris: very minuscule stones, sand, loose soil that shouldn't be a problem when hitting our bonnets and front area of the car. But no, Toyota-Lexus made it a problem because of the soft or weak paint-clearcoat.

I don't have the same problems with my Pontiac Firebird and my Grand Cherokee. What will be the excuse now?

Just to know how you feel, please participate in this poll.

Last edited by warrionex; 09-13-07 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 06:06 PM
Pineapple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am all for Lexus reworking the paint formula so it's much more durable (like Mercedes), who wouldn't?

I vaguely remember reading that due to new environmental laws, certain chemicals are not allowed anymore in paint, so that's why our paint and all newer cars have softer paint compared to the older cars.
Old 09-13-07, 07:01 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

this is absolutely ridiculous...

the paint is just fine...

to be upset that it chipped because a rock flew up and hit it... I hope they countersue for slander/libel...

hell, to me, it's your fault you didn't spend a few extra bucks for the clear bra... every car I've owned has had rock chips in the front bumper/hood area... thats the #1 reason I decided to repaint my SC400... the front was getting so bad I couldn't look at it anymore...
Old 09-13-07, 07:08 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 98 GS and the paint on it reflects like a mirror. I'm not with cha bro, but keep trying.
Old 09-13-07, 07:56 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I have a 98 GS and the paint on it reflects like a mirror. I'm not with cha bro, but keep trying.
Precisely, your GS was manufacture 10 years ago and the excuse of new regulations is going to appear again in the member's replies. I would like to hear from the competing luxury lines, you know BMW and Mercedes, preferably cars manufacture after 2005.

Warrionex
Old 09-13-07, 08:33 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Audi A8L has been with me for 2 years and I drive it on highways every day including my GS300 AWD at times. I have not gotten a chip on the amazing durable Audi paint, but several chips and scratches on the GS. However, I am pretty happy with how my GS has handled in the last 1 year of driving in terms of the paint quality as compared to our former 2002 SC430 which had terrible paint quality and crappy durability with lots of chips even with few highway driving.
Old 09-13-07, 08:53 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

I agree that the Lexus paint is the most chip/scratch prone of any car I have ever owned, however, I can't see losing a lot of sleep over it. I will probably wait 3-4 years, and assuming I keep the car, just have it repainted.

+1 on the amazing fit/finish quality inside and out on Audis....just wish they could get past the QC issues.

Last edited by FiveOhNine; 09-14-07 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-13-07, 09:19 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have my doubts about the paint too. Not sure if it's my color or not but there are a few types of finishes that i'd rather have, regardless of it been shiny in finish or not. I prefer the deep flakey finish which and it's embarassing to say exists in Corollas. The clear coats on these types of paint seems 10 times thicker and are a joy to look at after washing.

I don't know if there there are any differences in paint grades between lower cost models Lexus and higher cost ones, or whether the optional extra paint proctection coat makes any difference, if so then i am regretting not to have done more research before buying the car.
Old 09-13-07, 09:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The clear coat on the newer lexus must comply to the U.S standards.

My 1999 GS has lots of rock chips in the front, but no paint is going to be chip-free unless the car has a bra of some sort. Even Mercedes/BMW will get chips. They'll probably get less chips, but eventually there will be some.
Old 09-13-07, 11:24 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I can't believe 17/29 so far think there's merit for a lawsuit.

If loser pays court costs, are you guys still in? Are people just looking for a free paint job? Trust me, win or lose, any money Toyota spends to defend itself on this will filter down to the consumer in vehicle, service, and part costs.

While you're at it, why not sue BMW for their faulty reliability, since those forums seem to talk about it a lot while not so much on CL. People complaining on a forum do not constitute evidence. Forums these days are basically people complaining... like this thread.
Old 09-13-07, 11:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

There have been several Lexus in my garage in the last few years...including an 04,05 and now 08 RX and also an 04 IS300 and now an 07 GS350. Clear coat problems have not been an issue for me, especially with the mileage and conditions i have driven. Call me lucky?

Alot of modern late model vehicles, including Lexus no longer feature broad sided flat panels. They are now more rounded and shapely in comparison to the past. The more rounded/raked sheet metal panels, the more perpendicular and exposure the sheet metal has to oncoming debris. Just something to think about.
Old 09-14-07, 12:16 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 16k miles on my is350 and I barely have any scratches or chips whatsoever. This is after daily commutes on the freeway 40 miles each way. I've been behind trucks and driven on half paved roads but no damage to my paint, so I happen to think the paint is just fine.
Old 09-14-07, 04:41 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc

If loser pays court costs, are you guys still in? Are people just looking for a free paint job? Trust me, win or lose, any money Toyota spends to defend itself on this will filter down to the consumer in vehicle, service, and part costs.

While you're at it, why not sue BMW for their faulty reliability, since those forums seem to talk about it a lot while not so much on CL. People complaining on a forum do not constitute evidence. Forums these days are basically people complaining... like this thread.

Apparently I am not that wrong. This win is going to be by way of knock out.

Warrionex
Old 09-14-07, 05:36 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the tungsten silver is and after 9500 mi. and 8 months the bumper has many nicks in it and chips in the paint where i can see black of the bumper. i also have 3 spots on the hood already. i don't taligate and i avoid trucks as much as i can, even more so now hoping to not make it any worse. each time i wash my car it makes me sad to see all the damage already knowing how much i paid for the car. i had a 2000 Firebird for 6 years that i was never cautious with and it did not look anything like this when i traded it in.
Old 09-14-07, 06:15 AM
NexVision
Rookie

Originally Posted by sirkfc

Just goes to show people are always trying to get something for free. Heres a idea learn to turn your wheel and avoid the **** in the road.

Quick Reply: Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE