Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review......2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review......2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD

By CL member request, a review of the 2007 Buick Enclave CXL AWD

http://www.buick.com/index.jsp?seo=goo_buickRT

In a Nutshell: Not much different from many past Buicks.....a relatively soft, quiet ride and body roll, combined with a GM-plastic interior, though a rather flashy and good-looking one.

Buick, a manufacturer often unfairly painted as producing vehicles only for white-haired Geezers and Tiger Woods fans, with occasional exceptions like the two-seater Reatta and the muscle-car Grand National GNX, has, in recent years, expanded its line-up to incude both truck-based and car-based mid-size SUVs and a car-based minivan. I've always kind of had a soft spot for the brand (I had two used Buicks myself as a teenager), but lost much of my attraction to them in the 1970's as both their physical size and build quality dropped....and in recent years, of course, have become a convert to the Subaru boxer-engine AWD. Buicks, in recent years, have also become very popular in China...they are considered a prestige, upmarket brand there and are highly sought after by the increasing percentage of the huge Chinese population that can now afford a new car. Buick has opened up new Chinese assembly plants to try and satisfy the increasing demand there, and also sells models there that are not available here in the U.S, and often better build quality (GM executives openly admit that their Asian-market Buicks receive more attention and are more solidly-built than the domestic ones here). Their excuse?.......Americans don't expect the kind of attention from GM that overseas markets do.

Go Figure.

Anyhow, that is not really a story for this review....we have already dealt with and discussed that topic in another CAR CHAT thread (one that I myself opened). So, let's lead up to the American-market Enclave and the vehicles that paved the way for it.

Buick, perhaps in an attempt to cater to their mainly sedan-loving market base (with a few wagons thrown in like the Estate and Century wagons) dragged its feet a little getting into the truck/van/SUV buisness. In the late '90s and early 00's, when I kept asking Buick car-show reps for any plans for non-sedan/wagon vehicles, most of the time I just got a dull, lifeless, We-don't-know-anything look or a We-have-no-plans-for-that answer.
Ah, but Buick DID have some plans. Shortly after that, we saw the debut of the Buick Ranier...a spinoff of the truck-based, ladder-frame Chevrolet Trail Blazer SUV whose design was also shared as the GMC Envoy, Isuzu Ascender, and (with some more extensive modifications) as the Saab 9-7X. The Rainier, though off-road rated like the others, not surprisingly had the softest underpinnings and tires of the group, the quitest ride, and was the only one of the five models that combined the V8 with the standard short-wheelbase version...the other brands only offered the 275 HP in-line 6, and made you buy the extended-wheelbase version to get the V8.

Then came the Buick Rondevous and the Terraza. The Rondevous was a restyled version of the car-based, unibody, horrible-looking Pontiac Aztek....a vehicle almost universally panned as one of the ugliest on the market, deservedly so IMO. The Rondevous had the same platform and mechanicals as the goofy Aztek, but in a package that, if not exactly handsome, at least did not turn your stomach to look at it. But, like the Rainier that preceeded it, suffered from a dull, flimsy, overly-plasticky interior with second-rate materials and less-than-perfect paint job.

The Terraza that followed was a vehicle that seemed to get mixed opinions. It was essentially a rebadged, Buick version of the ubiquitous GM car-based mininan platform that followed the infamous, plastic-bodied, earlier-generation, droop-nosed, "Dustbuster" minivans. The basic design was shared with the Chevy Uplander, Saturn Relay, and Pontiac Montana. Consumer Reports criticized their dated designs, interiors and build quality, but, in one of my rare disagreements with CR, I didn't think they were bad at all.....and they seemed more solidly built, IMO, than the notoriously troublesome Dodge/Chrysler minivans, although, of course, they could not compete with the benchmark Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey.

So, now, we have the all-new Enclave for 2008......a mid-sized, 7 or 8 passenger vehicle specifically designed to replace both the Terraza minivan and the Rondevous SUV and more or less roll both of their functions into one. The Enclave shares a common platform, drivetrain, and much of its interior with the also-just-released GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook. The Enclave's interior, on the surface, is definitely more plush-looking (on the surface) than its two slightly more mundane cousins (For a quick comparison, I briefly looked at an Acadia today at the combination Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealership but did not test-drive it). Again, on the surface, the Enclave's interior is easily one of the best new GM interiors to come out in years, but is it really that good under the surface? More on that later.

Four models of the Enclave are offered in the U.S market; CX FWD, CX AWD, CXL FWD, and CXL AWD. All share the same 3.6L VVT V6 and silky-smooth 6-speed automatic. Cloth or leather seating is available depending on trim line and options (I prefer cloth myself for its hot and cold-weather comfort and better adhesion). 7 or 8 passenger versions are offered, depending on the design of the second and third-row seats. I chose the top-line CXL AWD primarily because of the request I received.....I had done the top-of-the-line Hyundai Veracruz Limited last week with a special custom interior package, so natually the top-line Enclave CXL with leather would make the best comparison.

And, as the Hyundai Veracruz Limited last week was expensive by Hyundai standards (36K for FWD, 38K for AWD), the Enclave was not exactly chump
change either. My test vehicle, admittedly with some expensive options (see below) listed for over 43K....that kind of money can get you into a Cadillac SRX. But it's easy to see where the engineers spent the money in this vehicle.....ride comfort. Triple-sealed windows. Quiet-ride tuning (something Buick makes a lot of in its advertising). Special coatings for the sheet metal to absorb noise.

And quiet and comfortable it is, indeed....more on that below. The Enclave is a refreshing change from the annoying, monotonous world of low-profile, rubber-band tires, stiff "performance" suspensions, thick anti-roll bars, go-kart steering, drag-the-ground chassis, boom-your-ears coke-can exhausts, and the general (and growing) obsession in the auto industry with more and more sportiness every year. And though I couldn't verify it, either in the brochure or on the web site, the Buick salespeople there told me that the Enclave gets special, Michelin all-season tires especially designed for Enclaves...and ride comfort. (My test Enclave indeed had nice, relatively high-profile, 60-series Michelin all-seasons).

And, speaking of the web site, though I posted it like I do with all of my reviews, the official Buick web site did not impress me at all. It took forever to unload the data and functions for each model, was poorly designed and laid out INO, and was sometimes confusing as to where to search for what. The Enclave brochure, though big and somewhat oversized, is much easier to look up specs in.

And, of course, what is the other side to that soft, quiet, relaxed ride and suspension? Yes, you got it....less-than-Formula-1 handling and response (more on that below). But, as I said earlier, the Enclave is not meant to be a sports car.....in fact, it is the classic ANTI-sports car. If it is handling you want, go down the street to the Porsche dealer.......Buicks are STILL Buicks. So now, let's take a look at the newest Buick in detail:

Model Reviewed: 2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD

Base Price: $36,990

Major Options:

NAV/DVD: $4320

Power sunfoof with rear skylight: $1300

Heavy-Duty towing package: $425

Rear Cargo net/shade $90

List Price as Reviewed: $43,125.

Drivetrain: 3.6L VVT V6, 275 HP @ 6600 RPM, Torque 251 ft-lbs @ 3200 RPM
6-speed automaTIC transmission, 3.16 final-drive ratio, Full-time AWD

Exterior Color: Blue-Gold Crystal Metallic with Gray metallic lower body color.

Interior: Titanium (light gray) leather with Dark Titanium Accents.

PLUSSES:

Smooth, well-isolated ride.

Relatively good road, wind, and engine noise isolation.

Relatively nice steering feel in spite of overboost at higher speeds

Rich-looking interior trim...but mostly on the surface.

Nice-looking real wood on the steering wheel.

Solid interior door grips.

Super-slick operating interior air vents

Attractive insurumentation includes a voltmeter.

Classy analog clock.

Versatile, multi-use center console armrest.

Easy-to-use second-seat folding for third-seat access.

Plenty of stretch-out headroom and legroom front and rear.

Relatively roomy third seat...a rarity in mid-sized SUV's.

Smooth, quiet engine and transmission.

Seamless AWD system.

Relatively good NAV/stereo integration of controls.

High-quality, special-design (?) Michelin tires.

Plenty of creature comforts.

5 Year/ 100,000 mile Drivetrain warranty.

MINUSES:

Lousy Buick web site. (not the vehicle's fault, of course)

Quality of paint job inconsistant with color.

Cheap, ugly, plastic engine cover.

Manual steering wheel tilt/telescope lacks power control.

Typical GM plastic interior trim/hardware underneath the rich-looking surfaces.

Wood on steering wheel does not match plastic swirl-wood trim on dash.

The usual funeral-home paint colors.

Flimsy-feeling outside mirrors and roof rack.

Park-bench-flat, unsupportive leather seats.

Engine could use more torque.

Spongy brake pedal.

Typical Buick Roly-Poly handling.

Relatively slow steering response.

Poorly-finished cargo area in back.

Ugly, poorly-designed rear wiper arm.

Tinny-sounding doors.

The first impression you get of this vehicle, as you walk up to it, is that it is definitely a Buick SUV, but one quite differently styled from the previous ones I mentioned above. It has some of the classic Buick signatures from the past.....things that were lost on the first Buick attempts at minivans and SUV's. The chrome-plated plastic grille has the traditional Buick vertical waterfall rib pattern from the late 40's through the late 50's, and the also-traditional Buick portholes are attached to either side of the rather short, sloping, SUV-type hood.....but the holes are not real holes (they are black-painted plastic with chrome edges to simulate square holes). A big, circular chrome Buick tri-badge emblem lies in the middle of the grille. While the chrome emblem is classy, of course, on a Buick, I myself prefer the more traditional red, white, and blue emblem on a stand-up hood ornament...somehow, in my book, a Buick just isn't a Buick without it....it's like a Jaguar without leather seats. In fact, at customer request, many Buick dealerships order those tri-color hood ornaments and actually attach them onto the hood before or shortly after delivery of many Buick products today....the factory no longer does it that way, but many Buick customers still demand it.

The exterior paint....what can I say?......like so many other vehicles these days, is mostly a choice of Murphy's Funeral Special colors. Of those offered, I myself liked only the White (Pearl) Diamond Tri-Coat and the Red Jewel Tint-Coat. My test vehicle, partially because of limited Enclave availability at the dealership, was a rather light bluish-gray called Blue-Gold Crystal Metallic (where the "Gold" comes from, I have no idea ). Like with most SUV's, a second, lower-body color, in one of three shades, depending on the mani color, runs all around the vehicle and up into the wheel-wells....my vehicle had light gray. The actual surfaces on the very edges, of course, were treated with anti-scuff and anti-chip material for road debris. The Enclave (and the similiar GMC Acadia) paint jobs that I saw there, in general, were better than some recent GM paint jobs I've seen (Cadillac, among GM brands, generally does the best paint), but seemed to vary with color. Some colors seemed to have less orange peel, more gloss, and smoother application than others. The Blue-Gold on my test car, while somewhat dull-looking, was applied smoothly and did not seem to have much orange peel.

Open the hood, and the transverse-mounted 3.6L VVT V6, one of GM's most highly refined and technically advanced engines, fits in fairly well, with a small amount of room around the edges to get things done. The battery is easily reached, under a cover, on the left side, and the most-needed clear fluid reserviors and dipsticks are all readily accessable. Many manufacturers bolt on unneeded and unnecessary large plastic covers over the top of the engine, but at least most of them are nice-looking (if a pain in the a**) with chrome and metallic paint. Why Buick decided to use an ugly, dull, dark, flat-gray one is besides me. Well, at least you don't have to look at it most of the time.

Outside hardware, in typical GM fashion, was less than first-rate. The trim itself was not bad, for the most part, was not bad, but the thin plastic outside mirrors, roof-rail covers, grille, and rear-wiper arm all had a cheap, flimsy feel to them, although the grille (as mentioned above) and roof-rail covers were well-chromed with a nice, shiny, even plating. The rear wiper arm, besides looking ugly, IMO, only pulled up a couple of inches, making it rather difficult to replace the rear wiper blade (to be fair, this is also a problem on my own 2006 Outback that Subaru fixed for 2007). But, all in all, I would rate the exterior of Enclave as MUCH better looking than the Rondevous that it replaces, especially for Buick traditionalists.

Inside, Buick traditionalists will feel right at home as well....especially after some of the insultingly cheap interiors of some recent Buicks. Open the rather tinny-feeling doors, and step into the cabin (the vehicle sits up a little but not high enough for most people to need running boards) and a multi-tone, classy world of chrome, wood, imitation wood, leather, and both hard-touch and soft-touch plastics awaits you. This vehicle, inside, is as different from other recent Buick SUV's as Pam Anderson Lee is to a convent nun. The entire upper-dash is done in either a light or medium imitation swirl-wood pattern....a GOOD-looking one. The same pattern is carried over to much of the console, door panel inserts, and shifter handle. The wood on the upper and lower steering wheel rims is also a good-looking REAL wood, but it doesn't match the rest of the interior wood pattern, which makes it a little awkward. Rich-looking, classy chrome and metallic trim adorns the mid-dash
under the wood, the classy, analog, Infiniti-style clock, the gauges, and most of the control ***** and buttons. The dash air vents are slick, easy to operate, and effective. The legible, attractive gauges are the traditional Buick circles with chrome rings, white and blue markings, and include a voltmeter....unusual in this class. The NAV system, in the center of the dash, is well-integrated with the stereo controls....almost, but not quite, to Honda/Acura ease of use. The cleverly-designed center console arm rest operates several different ways and glides back and forth to uncover either cupholders or several different compartments in one. The inside door-pulls, unlike the doors themselves, had a strong, solid feel. The air-conditioning, in typical GM fashion, takes you to the North Pole in minutes on a 90-degree day.

The seat leather, while not of Jaguar or Lexus quality, was noticeably better than on some comparable European vehicles, especially the cheap-looking and feeling (I thought) Navajo leather on the BMW X3 and X5, and the interior, overall was very roomy. Guys my size......over 6 feet and 275 lbs......had no problems at all fitting in, even with my always-present baseball cap. There are two sunroofs....the rear one is actually more of a skylight than a sunroof itself....but neither one intrudes much on headroom because of the tall roof and the multi-adjustable power seats....even for the front passenger. Headroom and legroom in the rear is almost as good as in front, and......(get this, a rarity).....even the THIRD-row seat will accomodate a person my size with minimal discomfort. That is highly unusual in mid-sized SUV's, and even some full-sized SUV's have grmlin-sized third seats. Buick says that the third row seat and rear roofline were designed for two large or three small adults....for once, it is close to the truth.

But the interior also has some problems as well. Except for the real wood on the steering wheel and the rather nice leather on the seats, much of the flashiness and rich-looking trim and hardware inside, like with the Chrysler 300C, is a layer of glitter and chrome over unimpressive, typical-GM light plastic underneath. The seats are park-bench flat and offer little in the way of support...perhaps because this vehicle is not designed for spirited cornering to start with. The cargo area, though with a power-operated liftback, is rather poorly finished.....the cargo area of the Hyundai Veracruz Limited I loked at last week just blew it away on hardware and carpet quality. The second-row seats are well-designed for a quick, multi-fold access to the third seat, and have special slide-tracks, but feel like they are made with lightweight hardware and hinges, with plastic used for some stress pieces that I think should have been made of metal. The steering wheel has manual tilt and telescope, but power assist is more common in this price range (remember, this is a $43,000 vehicle).

Time to drive. Start it up with a rather conventional GM transponder Pass-Key, and the smooth V6 settles immediately into a sikly, Lexus-quiet idle. Power delivery is equally smooth, silky and quiet, although the vehicle's weight, AWD drag, automatic transmission and max A/C on a typically hot, humid D.C-area August day takes its toll on the powertrain...the engine, while not a slug, could use a little more torque for conditions like this....and especially fully loaded and towing the 4500 lbs. it is rated to with the towing package. Power is adequate for normal suburban stop-and-go driving, but a Buick Grand National it is not. The transmission, in typical Buick fashion, is as smooth and silky as the engine. It is designed, of course, for smooth, quiet operation, not sport-quick, jerky shifts for performance, so it doesn't add much to the acceleration either. Of course, I did not test either the engine or the tranny at its limits, either, adhering to the 4000 RPM rule for a new engine during break-in. The transmission does have a manual-shift mode, but it is not the common lever-bump method...twin buttons on the left side of the shifter marked (+) and (-) do the job.

One does not expect Formula-1 handling from a Buick SUV......or most Buick products......and the Enclave is true to form. Body roll, while not really severe, is more noticeable than with most of its competition, and steering response is not exactly Miata-quick. This is not a vehicle for narrow, twisting roads, and you have to crank the steering wheel pretty good to get any real response on a sharp curve, though the standard GM Stabilitrak system is there to help keep things from getting out of hand unless you really do something dumb. The power-steering feel and effort varies markedly with speed.....from noticeable (for a Buick) effort at parking-lot speeds to way overboosed and feathery at freeway speeds. But, at low speeds, it did not seem to have the awkward, school-bus handling feel that I noted in my review of the Hyundai Veracruz Limited last week....I could notice the difference.

Nor is it, particularly, a vehicle for steep grades or panic stops. The brake pedal, though well-designed for big long shoes like mine, shows a fair amount of the typical GM truck/SUV sponginess and lack of response. You have to push the pedal through a couple of inches of sloppiness, then it starts to respond...but it is a long way from Porsche 911 effectiveness. Again, I wouldn't call it dangerous or inadequate, but you just have to remember not to tailgate and keep an eye on the vehicle ahead of you.

The flip side to the Cream-of-Wheat handling and steering response, of course, is what Buicks are famous for....a Cream-of-Wheat ride and library-quietness. (I myself generally prefer ride comfort to sharp handling, but not to extremes....I do like SOME steering response). Bumps are well-absorbed, and the soft shocks and springs filter out most of the road impacts before thet get up the steering column or the seat of your pants. 60-series tires, becoming less and less common on new cars, help with the ride...their tall profiles absorb a lot of the impacts that 45's and 50's pass right through. This is a nice vehicle to relax in at the end of a hard working day.

Buick has made a lot in their recent advertising of their special Quiet-Tune features...things like triple-sealed windows, sheet metal coatings, thick
insulation, special glass, etc.....to keep the noise level down. For the most part.....it works. Tire noise is almost zero, powertrain noise is already low
because of the design of the engine/transmission, and wind noise, while not totally absent, is well-muted. I could hear, on the Interstate, with all the windows up, a little bit of rumble from trucks next to me in the adjacent lanes at about 65 MPH, but that was about it.

The Verdict?

So far, I don't think I have to really elaborate much here....the vehicle pretty much speaks for itself. The best way to describe it is a moderately expensive, plush (looking), roomy, vehicle for several large adults that excels in ride comfort. If I had to make any real recommendation to the Buick engineers, I would recommend better-quality plastics and materials some of the interior and exterior hardware, some more torque for the V6....it is overwhelmed by the weight and AWD, a reprogramming of the power-steering hydraulics to provide more consistant steering feel at all speeds, a better-designed rear-wiper arm, a better-finished cargo area, and (don't laugh) a traditional red, white, and blue Buick hood ornament for traditionalists.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-30-07 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 05:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now all is left is a review of the new Highlander. Nice review of the Enclave, and the engine really does struggle simply because the Enclave (and all the other GM full-size crossovers) is very heavy.
Old 08-30-07, 06:19 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marshall, you forgot one HUGE MINUS...

- This thing is hideous

I nearly turned into stone when I saw it.
Old 08-30-07, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Now all is left is a review of the new Highlander. Nice review of the Enclave, and the engine really does struggle simply because the Enclave (and all the other GM full-size crossovers) is very heavy.
Weight is part of it, but with AWD you not only have weight but drag as well (unless, like the Suzuki SX-4 and some other AWD vehicles, it can be disconnected with a switch and run on two drive wheels)...and most Buick transmissions are not set up for performance.

I'll do the Highlander...per your request. But there is no use doing the 2007 model now....I'll wait for the new one. The first ones will probably get into my area in a month or so. The top-line non-hybrid V6, obviously, will be the best comparison to both the Enclave and the Veracruz Limited....but from what I've seen in these two vehicles so far, their interiors compete more with the Lexus RX350 than past Highlanders. I'll refrain from commenting more on the new Highlander until I see and review it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-30-07 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 06:51 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

quite an interesting crossover SUV from Buick
it is quite a luxurious one
almost comparable to lexus eh

heres a video intro of the Enclave
http://www.buick.com/enclave/
Old 08-30-07, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Marshall, you forgot one HUGE MINUS...

- This thing is hideous

I nearly turned into stone when I saw it.
Hideous is a relative word. Car styling....and people's opinions of it....differ widely fron one person to the next. I don't particularly like the Enclave's Buick waterfall grille myself, but IMO the vehicle looks better than the Rondevous that it replaces......and the Rondevous, IMO, looks MUCH better than its corporate cousin.....the Pontiac Aztek, a vehicle that MANY people, not just you or me, consider hideous. The Aztek is truly gross.

But even then, the Aztek had its fans. Several years ago, when I was shopping with my ex-boss for a Yukon XL / Suburban, he and I were at a local Pontiac/GMC dealer checking out a silver XL. A couple of rows down from the XL were several new Azteks lined up in a row.....the dealer's stock. A fairly young coupe drove in, took a white Aztek out for a test drive.....and drove it home an hour or so later.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-30-07 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 07:57 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Great write up mmarshall!!! I really look forward to these reviews! Appreciate it soooooo much.
Old 08-30-07, 09:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Great review.

Must be a pretty peaceful drive with all that attention to quietness.
Old 08-31-07, 02:53 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I parked in front of it once and I remember saying to myself "what the hell is that?" and saw the Buick symbol and thought they finally figured something out. At a quick glance, it was painted with that deep rich brown paint, I actually really liked the exterior design, and interior looked nice too, so I did what I always do after I got home. Check their website. And I'm glad you mentioned it, b/c their website really is hard to navigate. After 5minutes trying to navigate the stupid thing, I just jumped to conclusions that "its a GM afterall".

Glad I read your review and I wasn't wrong. BUT, I think GM and its brands are getting better recently. Thanks again for a great review. I think you covered the two cars I was really curious as to how they are; this and the Suzuki SX4.
Old 08-31-07, 05:50 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The first time I saw the Enclave, I fell in love with the interior. I'm a sucker for a really nice cabin because I spend much more time inside looking out than vice-versa. The exterior isn't that bad, certainly a big step up from the Aztek. It actually has a usable third row that even many large SUV's lack. I haven't had an opportunity to drive one yet, but having been spoiled by RX's all these years, I fear the silky smoothness and tactile sensations I've come to expect in a highway cruiser may be lacking. GM is only beginning to understand you don't make a near-luxury car out of cardboard, vinyl, and plastic.

How does the Enclave compare say with the RX, MDX, and the CX-9?
Old 08-31-07, 06:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great review Marshall..By the sound of things, it seesm as if one will fall asleep driving this thing. Rather dangerous driving on a lonely dark road with this mushroom imo.
Old 08-31-07, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
quite an interesting crossover SUV from Buick
it is quite a luxurious one
almost comparable to lexus eh
Inside, it has Lexus looks but not quite Lexus quality, except for the nice wood on the steering wheel, Arctic-cool A/C, and well-designed third seat.
And it has Lexus ride and powertrain quietness. Other than that, it's more or less a typical Buick, with the typical GM hardware and paint.
Old 08-31-07, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Great review Marshall..By the sound of things, it seesm as if one will fall asleep driving this thing. Rather dangerous driving on a lonely dark road with this mushroom imo.
And that lonely dark road would preferably be wide and straight. The Enclave is not a Miata or an S2000.

But it is not the worst-handling modern vehicle I have driven. I thought the Kia Amati had even more body roll and clumsier handling (Consumer Reports agrees), and the Ford Excursion was.....well, don't even get me started on that.
Old 08-31-07, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The first time I saw the Enclave, I fell in love with the interior. I'm a sucker for a really nice cabin because I spend much more time inside looking out than vice-versa. The exterior isn't that bad, certainly a big step up from the Aztek. It actually has a usable third row that even many large SUV's lack. I haven't had an opportunity to drive one yet, but having been spoiled by RX's all these years, I fear the silky smoothness and tactile sensations I've come to expect in a highway cruiser may be lacking. GM is only beginning to understand you don't make a near-luxury car out of cardboard, vinyl, and plastic.

How does the Enclave compare say with the RX, MDX, and the CX-9?
IMO the Enclave is roughly equal to the RX in looks...but in typical GM fashion, the looks are on the surface.....most of the chrome, metallic, and fake-wood flash is really just a coat on top of budget plastic. The steering-wheel wood, though, IS real...and nice.
If you like Lexus-type powertrain refinement and quietness, you will be right at home in an Enclave....although the AWD weight and vehicle size does burden the 3.6L V6 a little, and it could use a little more torque.

This vehicle is not a direct step up from the Aztek. It replaces the Buick Rondevous, which was the Aztek's much-less-ugly corporate brother. As I noted in my review, I thought the Enclave looked markedly better inside and out than the Rondevous (except for the Buick waterfall grille), though it has much of the same materials, just with a better surface finish.

The 2007 MDX and CX-9 (see my reviews of both) are both somewhat sportier and more driver-centered in the chassis than the Enclave. The MDX interior is not as plush-looking on the surface as the Enclave, and uses an odd-looking mixture and texture of high-quality and budget materials inside. Its handling, though no match for the smaller Acura RDX, was markedly better then the Enclave's. The CX-9 Grand Touring that I reviewed was very plush inside for a Mazda product, had reasonably good materials, but didn't have quite the "zoom-zoom" handling that is Mazda's advertising trademark...but still had slightly better response then the Enclave. It was more of a luxury vehicle than the rest of the relatively sporty Mazda lineup...even more so than its less-expensive CX-9 cousins.

Neither the MDX or the CX-9 had the roominess inside that the Enclave had, though....especially in the third-row seat. The Enclave, and its GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook brothers, are ideal for large adults.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-07 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-31-07, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOL!
Great write up mmarshall!!! I really look forward to these reviews! Appreciate it soooooo much.
Thanks.
I'm retired now, and have more time for them than before....but of course, I have other things to do, too.

The new Toyota Highlander is next, by request, whenever it becomes available here, unless you want something else in the meantime.

Quick Reply: Review......2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD