Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SEMA: 2009 Toyota Corolla/Hatchback, HD Tundra and FJ Cruiser Convertible (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 05:06 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Hopefully it is not the same boring Corolla from Europe/Japan/China. Toyota NEEDS something to bring in the customers it is losing to the much more youth-oriented Civic, Lancer and Mazda 3.
The Corolla remains the best selling small car in America. It's sales have actually increased in it's last couple of years of production. The much newer Civic still trails by about 15,000 sales for the year. Even the hot Mazda 3 only sells at a fraction of the volume that the Corolla does. And the Lancer's sales are a joke in comparison.

I'm not sure why cars always have to be more "youth-oriented". There are other buyers in the market. And small cars aren't just for young people.

The 2009 Corolla is actually the car I'm most eagerly awaiting. I can't wait!
Old 07-17-07, 05:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The Corolla remains the best selling small car in America. It's sales have actually increased in it's last couple of years of production. The much newer Civic still trails by about 15,000 sales for the year. Even the hot Mazda 3 only sells at a fraction of the volume that the Corolla does. And the Lancer's sales are a joke in comparison.

I'm not sure why cars always have to be more "youth-oriented". There are other buyers in the market. And small cars aren't just for young people.

The 2009 Corolla is actually the car I'm most eagerly awaiting. I can't wait!
Whether you like it or you hate it, the Corolla is North America's best selling compact. It's also the best-selling car in the world. Come SEMA a lot of worried competitors will be watching the unveiling of the 2009 Corolla.
Old 07-17-07, 08:45 PM
xioix
Racer

The Corolla should stay the same soft set-up as it is, but only for the CE and LE, with the S trim a little more sporty, and with an XRS that competes with the Civic Si, best of both worlds for Toyota and the consumers
Old 07-17-07, 08:55 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JLSC4

Fair points. I am just concerned that Toyota is resting on its laurels a bit, and not doing anything exciting or revolutionary because they know that their formula 'works.' The time will come when it just won't anymore. I recently test drove a Camry, and I am sorry, but it just isn't a good car. The interior materials are pretty rubbish, and it drives like a boat, not to mention the very jelly-bean looks. Meanwhile, the Accord looks sharp(er) and drives sharp as well, plus feels better-put-together inside.
Old 07-18-07, 01:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Fair points. I am just concerned that Toyota is resting on its laurels a bit, and not doing anything exciting or revolutionary because they know that their formula 'works.' The time will come when it just won't anymore. I recently test drove a Camry, and I am sorry, but it just isn't a good car. The interior materials are pretty rubbish, and it drives like a boat, not to mention the very jelly-bean looks. Meanwhile, the Accord looks sharp(er) and drives sharp as well, plus feels better-put-together inside.
I doubt that Toyota is resting on their laurels. We will see with the new Corolla if that is the case or not. You also have to look at the target market and demographics for the Camry; while you may not like the ride/handling, a huge number of consumers do. Enthusiasts or sporty drivers are a very small minority of the overall auto buying market. While Toyota definitely needs to lead the class again in materials and fit/finish, I've driven the Camry and for the target market the Camry excels in meeting the needs of customers. It's a very family friendly car, especially the rear-seat area, it's very comfortable and refined, yet handles fairly well. The Accord while being sharper and a bit more sporty gives up a bit of refinement and fuel economy.
Old 09-20-07, 03:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any new news about this show?

I found out that Toyota will have Five Axis soup up a Yaris, xD, and IS-F for the show...

Toyota + Five Axis collaboration for SEMA
Old 09-20-07, 03:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

I have been looking at new Corolla's, and they are nice... Front is really nice design, lot of cues taken from lexus, while back is modernized corolla back...

Interior is fresh looking, of course dont expect lexus quality but it is good...

and drives really well...
Old 09-20-07, 09:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently the IS-F will have a surprise and steal the show... we shall see.
Old 09-20-07, 09:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

SEMA is going to be fun this year in comparison to last year. I'm really happy Toyota is the main sponsor for the event and Lexus is taking a huge role in pumping up the aftermarket support. I was at SEMA last year courtesy of Lexus and am glad some of the input I mentioned actually came into frutation.

Last edited by flipside909; 09-20-07 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 09:32 PM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

toyota saw something they liked
Newport Convertible's

Last edited by juniorEXE; 09-20-07 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 11:02 PM
xioix
Racer

Those wheels are horrible
Old 10-22-07, 09:41 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

"We wanted a rig we could take to grassroots motorsports events," explains Gary Boler, Business Operations Manager for TRD. "Our concept was to turn a Tundra Double Cab and trailer into a race-support rig to display parts and accessories from the TRD catalog."
For a bold, impressive stance, the team installed a custom suspension along with the necessary driveline components to widen the track at both front and rear by five inches. Next, they added forged 17-inch wheels from TRD and shod them with 37-x12.50-inch tires; electric winches were integrated into the Tundra's front and rear.
"Our favorite feature is the intercooled supercharger we developed," enthuses Boler. "It boosts the output of the Tundra's stock 5.7-liter V8 to approximately 500 horsepower. It's emissions-legal in all fifty states and we hope to offer it as a dealer-installed option soon."
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...w-rig-concept/
Old 10-22-07, 10:13 AM
LexFather

500horses, dealer installed. WHOA!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-22-07, 11:09 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes. I wonder how many will actually purchase the supercharger kit.
Old 10-22-07, 12:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Yikes. I wonder how many will actually purchase the supercharger kit.
There are a lot of people with "bigger and faster" complexes...

Quick Reply: SEMA: 2009 Toyota Corolla/Hatchback, HD Tundra and FJ Cruiser Convertible (updated)