IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to change nav DVD without breaking everything?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 08:22 AM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double side tape works like a charm. Make sure you rub the tape in really good and use a long piece that sticks over at least half the display. i have a whole role of this stuff. I use around 8-10in. Tug on only one end and it should loosen it enough to pry open with you hands.
Old 07-10-07, 04:31 PM
gmeardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Success!!!

Originally Posted by gmeardi
And using little suction cups, instead? Some are pretty strong... I'll try to find a couple...
Like tested by Koz, yes, here is the best way to access the nav DVD!
  • Use the tool provided in your tool kit on one side at a time.
  • Push it in until you feel it passes the first resistance: look at the image in post #5 by Ben. You must insert the tool almost to its maximum lenght, don't worry if you are worring to break everything, it's ok...
  • Then use one or two little suction cups, like the one in in the following images. 1 inch (or 2.5cm) of diameter is fine. Pull the suction cup while keeping the tool pushed a bit towards the "external side" (see always Ben's picture) and the first side is done! Repeat on the right side and...

Just in case, see below what u are 'pushing' with the provided tools... seem impossible to break, even pushing 'hard'.

Yes, it's really easy pulling one side at a time with the 'suction method'! (ahem).
Wow, this post now is worth being mentioned in the official FAQ!

Last edited by gmeardi; 07-10-07 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 07:40 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Wanna show me a link to where I can get some? I dont intend to remove that thing again anytime soon until I can get my hands on the 08 nav disc, but when I do Id like to try your method because the way I did it suct.
There are many types of 3M double sided tape. What you will find at The Home Depot and Lowe's is heavy duty tape meant for all kinds of home use. You want professional grade tape. A quick search on the Bay turns up 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape. It is listed as 'High Performance/OEM Approved' for use in attaching Body side moldings - Claddings - Rocker panel trim - Wheel flares - other exterior trim parts. It comes in various sizes but I've used the 1/2" x 5 yd roll to good effect ($10 per roll). It's way stronger than the garden variety double sided tape. If this tape won't work, there isn't any stronger than I am aware of. Catalogue number 06384.
Old 07-10-07, 08:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Seriously, you guys work too hard at this. If you carefully insert both tools at the same time all the way in, you can wiggle the unit ever so slightly and it will pop right out. Mine did for sure. Pulling and prying only pissed me off. After I did it once, I never had another issue getting it out.
Old 03-06-08, 10:37 AM
skingsland
Driver

Question

restarting an old thread...

The manual mentions the two pick-like tools that are supposedly included as "in car tools". Where are these? I looked in trunk, and all I saw was the tire changing kit and first aid kit, and they weren't in either one.

I tried using another type of pick-like instrument (a narrow allen key), and I never heard a click, nor could I get the face to pop off.

Very frustrating!!

Steve

P.S. - Ben_r_'s photos that were supposedly in post #5 above are gone. Supposedly they were step-by-step photos of the process; anyone know where they could be found?

Last edited by skingsland; 03-06-08 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-06-08, 10:54 AM
skingsland
Driver

OK, I think I have have just found my answer:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/61503-kqt2ktval.html

Originally Posted by kqt2ktval
It's in the bag next to the spare tire. The little trapazoid pouch with the key to the wheel lock. Once you open it, look at the middle (hinge) . It's very well hidden. It took me a while to figure out where it was.
I'll go out to the car and look (I don't remember seeing this).

Photos:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=95

Last edited by skingsland; 03-06-08 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-06-08, 02:41 PM
skingsland
Driver

Smile

OK, I got it to work, but it was a little tricky. Here are the steps I followed:

1) find the "in car tools" in the trunk, in the tire jack kit which fits next to the spare. They are easy to miss.
2) use the rods to push back through the holes. Use lots of force. My rods went all the way in.
3) this will loosen the clock display. then you'll need to jiggle it and pry it off.
4) then eject the old map dvd.
5) turn car off.
6) remove fuse #4 (TV.1 or something like that) from the fuse box right above the parking break pedal.
7) turn car on. (it'll complain in english and japanese that the dvd can't be read.)
8) insert new map dvd (in my case the patched 7.1 with 5.1 loading.kwi file). It will take a minute to load.
9) put clock cover back on, and you're done.

The hardest parts were: 1) finding the "in car tool" picks; 2) prying the clock display off; 3) prying the fuse out of the fuse box.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-08, 02:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

^^and remember, all your stored nav info will be lost when you do this - you're starting from scratch again.
Old 04-12-08, 06:33 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by skingsland
OK, I got it to work, but it was a little tricky. Here are the steps I followed:

1) find the "in car tools" in the trunk, in the tire jack kit which fits next to the spare. They are easy to miss.
2) use the rods to push back through the holes. Use lots of force. My rods went all the way in.
3) this will loosen the clock display. then you'll need to jiggle it and pry it off.
4) then eject the old map dvd.
5) turn car off.
6) remove fuse #4 (TV.1 or something like that) from the fuse box right above the parking break pedal.
7) turn car on. (it'll complain in english and japanese that the dvd can't be read.)
8) insert new map dvd (in my case the patched 7.1 with 5.1 loading.kwi file). It will take a minute to load.
9) put clock cover back on, and you're done.

The hardest parts were: 1) finding the "in car tool" picks; 2) prying the clock display off; 3) prying the fuse out of the fuse box.

Good luck!
For those that read this, you need to put the #4 fuse back in before you turn the car back on. Not that any of you wouldn't figure that out. Also found that a small pair of needle nose pliers worked best for pulling the fuse and then you can use just your hands to put it back in.

Oh and one more thing. Do NOT use a DVD with a self-applied label. It will heat up and start coming off and potentially ruining your NAV.
Old 04-12-08, 07:37 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

I'm about to do my switch. Just wondering what type of media you used for your DVD+R DL disc? I've been hearing memorex / verbatim but anything else that works as well? thanks
Old 04-12-08, 07:40 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

The media i'm using is Memorex DVD+R DL
Old 04-12-08, 08:50 PM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
For those that read this, you need to put the #4 fuse back in before you turn the car back on. Not that any of you wouldn't figure that out. Also found that a small pair of needle nose pliers worked best for pulling the fuse and then you can use just your hands to put it back in.

Oh and one more thing. Do NOT use a DVD with a self-applied label. It will heat up and start coming off and potentially ruining your NAV.
Great points, I agree completely. Removing that f'ing fuse was a PITA!! (needle nose) pliers would definitely would have helped!

Thanks caymandive.
Old 09-14-08, 12:12 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The key was to push the tool all the way in!

Originally Posted by skingsland
restarting an old thread...

The manual mentions the two pick-like tools that are supposedly included as "in car tools". Where are these? I looked in trunk, and all I saw was the tire changing kit and first aid kit, and they weren't in either one.

I tried using another type of pick-like instrument (a narrow allen key), and I never heard a click, nor could I get the face to pop off.

Very frustrating!!

Steve

P.S. - Ben_r_'s photos that were supposedly in post #5 above are gone. Supposedly they were step-by-step photos of the process; anyone know where they could be found?
Old 04-13-09, 08:41 AM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

old thread but..

when burning the patch nav disc.. do we have to "label" the disc with any certain name before burning? just wondering..
Old 06-05-09, 10:01 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Anyone know of another way to eject the nav dvd besides hitting the eject button? For some reason I am trying to put a new dvd in, but after pulling the fuse, and replacing the fuse, I now have NO access to my nav options, can't even hit the eject button for my nav dvd!

Quick Reply: How to change nav DVD without breaking everything?