LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ultimate Lockpick Install Guide w/pix

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 03:55 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Ultimate Lockpick Install Guide w/pix

I just received and installed my Ultimate Lockpick. Since I ran into a little bit of trouble getting my center console out, I thought I would do a short write up on it to help the next person out. This is specific to my 2004 LS430 UL, not sure if its different for other years. Whole thing took about 30mins. 20 or more of it was trying to get the two temp control switches out. Here it goes:

Eject all your CDs in your changer.

Slightly pry the lowest module straight out. Easiest to eject the business card tray out above it first, which would allow you a place to grip it.

Onces removed, you should remove the screw on both side as shown.

Now, that would allow the lower section of the console to be removed.

Note: it may be held in place by clips in which you need a slight tug to release.

Next, remove the screw on both sides of the CD changer. That will release the changer.

Now comes the hardest part. Removing these on both sides took the longest time. They are clipped in pretty tight. These were removed using a thin putty blade wedged in from the bottom of the clip and also using another thin piece of metal underneath that for support so that you are not placing too much pressure to damage or mar up the surround.

That will expose these 2 8mm screws. Like another member mentions here before, try to use a magnetic driver as it will easily drop into the dash.

On the re installation, this is what I did to not drop the screw in. Using a piece of tape to keep it there.

After the removal of those last screws, the center nav screen will pull straight out. Plug in the Lockpick wires as directed, test everything before reinstalling. and reverse the order of the install.

All works perfectly. Side note: If you start your car and immediately put it in reverse before it got a chance clear the "I Accept" command, you will have to do it manually is what I've found. Also, to get the video command, you have to press your voice command and say "DVD". Then you have to press the Audio button on the dash and press Picture on the screen to view. The quality is quite nice except the angle of the screen which is prone to sunlight coming straight down on it. I've also found that by adjusting the contrast to the left and brightness to max, it works best.

Last edited by airtime; 06-19-07 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling errors
Old 06-18-07, 05:57 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Very nice write up, One question?

Where did you insert the DVD? In the trunk for the nav drive, or in the cd changer?

Thanks,
Randy B
Old 06-18-07, 06:05 PM
airtime

I have the RCA dangle between the center console and the front passenger seat. That way, I have my choice of using my 80GB Archos 504 video, or my 60GB Ipod Video for input. I've left enough lead so that I can pass the unit to the rear passengers to control. I decided not to install a DVD changer as most of my movies are now ripped into either my Archos or Ipod (something like 200 movies and series like Deadwood, Entourage, etc) and much faster and easier to control.

I talked with my friend who help do the install and we surmised that we might be able to fit a DVD changer where the existing CD changer's location current is. Or, better yet, installing a hard disk base video device there. I have one of these http://www.galaxymetalgear.com/Produ...isto_lite.html but the user interface is terrible. If I find a better one that I can place a 500gb hard drive in it and it fits the CD changer's location, I'll post the install.

Last edited by airtime; 06-18-07 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-18-07, 11:02 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know if this will work for the 01-03 model?
Old 06-19-07, 08:45 AM
!SPEED
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtime

GREAT PICTURES AND INFO.

What's your impression of the rest of the LockpicK? Can you access your POD's on the go? Did you upgrade your Nav DVD and if so did everything still work?

2004 LS UL
Old 06-19-07, 09:52 AM
airtime

The lockpick is pretty cool but I think the price a bit high. It should be around $125 to have more mass appeal, but I took the plung anyway. I did not install the Vaistech iPOD controller, though I can listen to music with the iPod when I put it in DVD mode. A much better pick in my option is their new Ulitmate ipod controller with a pretty decent interface. http://www.coastaletech.com/ULTIMATE%20IPOD.htm

I'm still working on getting a new Jan 07 Nav disk and then creating a hybrid version with my old Nav and merging it with the new map data to retain the functionality of the lockpick.
Old 06-19-07, 12:45 PM
!SPEED
Driver

Default Airtime

Sorry, I meant to say POI (Points of Interest) not POD. I never got a reply from the people at Lockpick if you could access the POI's while moving. Like say finding a restaurant then calling to make reservations without having to pull over.
They put this disclaimer on their site for the Ultimate Lockpick
NOTE: UPGRADING YOUR CURRENT NAV DVD TO THE LATEST ONE OFFERED BY TOYOTA/LEXUS ( version 6.1 ) MAY DISABLE THE ABILITY TO INPUT ADDRESSES."

That's why I wanted to know if you had upgraded your disk. I upgraded mine then found this put this on their website about the time I was getting ready to order from them.

2004 LS UL
Old 06-19-07, 12:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by !SPEED
Sorry, I meant to say POI (Points of Interest) not POD. I never got a reply from the people at Lockpick if you could access the POI's while moving. Like say finding a restaurant then calling to make reservations without having to pull over.
They put this disclaimer on their site for the Ultimate Lockpick
NOTE: UPGRADING YOUR CURRENT NAV DVD TO THE LATEST ONE OFFERED BY TOYOTA/LEXUS ( version 6.1 ) MAY DISABLE THE ABILITY TO INPUT ADDRESSES."

That's why I wanted to know if you had upgraded your disk. I upgraded mine then found this put this on their website about the time I was getting ready to order from them.

2004 LS UL

Yes, that feature works after you initiate the override sequence. I only have 5.1 in my 2005 LS430 Ultra and haven't tried to upgrade to 6.1 yet because of the lockpick. If someone else tries it let us know
Old 06-19-07, 01:02 PM
!SPEED
Driver

I'm still working on getting a new Jan 07 Nav disk and then creating a hybrid version with my old Nav and merging it with the new map data to retain the functionality of the lockpick.[/QUOTE]

If Airtime can pull that off that would be great. But like you DaveGS4, I'd like to find out if anyone has upgraded to 6.1 and if they can input address.

2004 LS UL
Old 06-19-07, 02:25 PM
airtime

Looks like someone beat me in building a sucessful hybrid disk. Look here at jerfitz

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rid+navigation
Old 06-19-07, 02:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Looks like someone beat me in building a sucessful hybrid disk. Look here at jerfitz

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rid+navigation
They've got it done in the 2nd gen IS forum as well.

I'm not sure how much different their Gen 5 nav DVD is from our Gen4 in the 2004 - 2006 LS430 is though - keep that in mind if you undertake it!
Old 06-19-07, 03:40 PM
airtime

I'm appending this to my original post. Found a perfect location to use my iPod.

Now you see it , now you don''t

Perfect fit without and cutting. My fingers can natually extend right over the iPod touch wheel and I can control movies on the nav screen. If I need to pull it out, I got tihis retractable iPod cable so I can unplug and charge it in my house and add new content to the iPod.

About $10 from eBay.

Just needed to drill a small hole in the back of the business card holder slide out thing-of-ma-jig to route the wires through.
Old 06-21-07, 06:06 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default A few more questions...

How do you get into DVD mode. I understand that your source for DVD is external (Ipod, etc.) however does this lockpick add an extra feature on the display that says DVD or something similar. If so could you please take a pic and post?

I am new to this car having come from a Mercedes E500 and am trying to learn all this stuff over again now for Lexus.

Thanks,
Randy B
Old 06-21-07, 06:52 PM
airtime

The lockpick adds in a feature to simulate a LX470's rear entertainment center. When you say "DVD" with the voice command, it responds back saying "DVD Player". The screen doesn't automatically show the DVD if you are on the Navigation screen, you have to press Audio, then the screens show something like Toyota DVD, you then press an onscreen button called "Picture", that will then display the video from your lockpick's wiring input. I'll get an image of the DVD screen posted soon.

Dave.
Old 06-26-07, 05:38 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default For an 06' LS430 two exceptions to the stated instructions!

After reviewing this thread, I felt confident to order and install a bluetooth lockpick from CET. Very straightforward after reading this thread with two exceptions. Where the picture shows removing the screws for the CD changer, on an 06' LS430 there are two 10mm bolts in place of screws. Below these bolts are a single screw on each side which also need to be removed as well. The picture which shows a single screw on each side of the lower panel with the business card drawer, my 06' LS430 also had a screw in the middle below the unit. Heed the warnings regarding the magnetized screwdriver use. I can only imagine if you dropped one and the almighty magnet in the center of the vehicle grabbed it to a place not retrievable without much pain and time being spent.

Thanks so much for your pictures and step by step instructions. Took me all of thirty minutes taking my time.

Randy B

Quick Reply: Ultimate Lockpick Install Guide w/pix