IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus sold damaged goods to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 07:01 AM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus sold damaged goods to me

Just noticed after 2600 mi that my driver side door and part of the fender has been repaired(badly) before I bought the car. Can see some swirl marks, 4 tiny bubbles. Noticed when I was walking up to my car in parking lot and noticed that it slightly dull, then at different angles I could see lines like the bondo wasnt smooth before it was repainted. You cant tell looking straight on but its not as shiny and smooth as the passenger side or the rest of the paint around the drivers door and fender.

After reading some the about the problems people are having with their cars and dealers and now this, I so disappointed. I want to bring it today instead of waiting for the 5000 mi service to see what kind of lame excuse they have. May have a independent body guy look at the car first.

What should I do. I know they will never get it uniform if its re-done. They will just send it to there body person and try.

I hope ct has some law about selling a new car that has been damaged and repaired.

Any thoughts on the situation is appreciated.
Old 05-29-07, 07:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was it used or brand new?

Some people with brand new cars had paint quality problems (do a Search on paint from earlier this year). Perhaps it wasn't damage, but poor paint application?
Old 05-29-07, 07:21 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately this happens more than we care to believe. Cars get jacked during transport and repairs are done as a matter of course. Definitely have your third party guy look at it first to determine what was done, then go to Lexus and show them the damage. They will have to redo it, but if it is done correctly you should be ok. People will say you should get some compensation for 'diminished value' but that will be hard to claim in a case like this, imo. Maybe they can give you some free maintenance as partial compensation.
Old 05-29-07, 08:24 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

man that sucks. def. take it up there and have them fix it.
Old 05-29-07, 08:27 AM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Was it used or brand new?

Some people with brand new cars had paint quality problems (do a Search on paint from earlier this year). Perhaps it wasn't damage, but poor paint application?
Brand new, I will do a search. Its right in place that gets damaged when you back up with the door open and the door hits something damaging the fender and door. The internal door seals and hinges look clean with no overspray. With the right angle and the right light, especially with white parking strip on the ground reflecting up to the door and fender, the defects can be seen. Nobody would ever notice unless they get a good **** look at it like I did.

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Unfortunately this happens more than we care to believe. Cars get jacked during transport and repairs are done as a matter of course. Definitely have your third party guy look at it first to determine what was done, then go to Lexus and show them the damage. They will have to redo it, but if it is done correctly you should be ok. People will say you should get some compensation for 'diminished value' but that will be hard to claim in a case like this, imo. Maybe they can give you some free maintenance as partial compensation.

Thats what I plan to do. I do think it was something during transport.
Btw, hope your staying dry in the hill country.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 05-29-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 09:01 AM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

if they are unloading cars off at a pier, there is body shops at the pier. what happens is these guys on the boats will start the cars up drive them down the ramp off the boat but at the top of the ramp they jump out of the car pop them in neutral and let the car roll down the ramp and a guy on the ground will hope in the car, put it in drive and drive it to where it needs to be on the lot or on a truck. i know this happens for all audi's, vw's, toyota's and nissan's. their is a pier close to where i live where the boats come in and you can literally watch these guys running up and down the ramps jumping in and out of cars. what happens is sometimes cars go to fast and they hit each other, when that happens the body shop repairs it a the pier in thier body shop but most of the time those guys hustle pretty well. i know some people will call BS but i've been there and watched this and it is quite amusing especially when they mess up.
Old 05-29-07, 10:43 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^^^ Won't call BS on this, but I got to believe it's a port specific thing. Never been to the east coast port, but no way they do this with Lexuses (Lexi ?) at the Long Beach port. I've seen Lexus cars coming off the boat, in fact they have pictures of this in the Lexus book. Note to self, never take delivery of an imported car from the east coast . . .
Old 05-29-07, 11:02 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is something i have to see, try to get a video of that........ it sounds comical actually, but i could see this being the way the do it.
Old 05-29-07, 01:03 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
that is something i have to see, try to get a video of that........ it sounds comical actually, but i could see this being the way the do it.
it is comical, guys running their asses off, it's like the circus all over again. it's controlled ciaos. i haven't been down there since last year, but it's around an old navy base. maybe if i feel like it i'll blast down this weekend and watch.
Old 05-29-07, 03:01 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question is: Would you buy the car if I knew this situation beforehand?

Answer: Absolutely not!

If after investigation the result is that the issue was cause by the dealer, there is a problem of consent and it could nullify the purchase contract. If the situation is a manufacturer's defect, it is a warranty issue.

In the first situation, if you defend your case strongly base on your legal rights, you could get a new car.

In the second, you are doom. Its just a matter of working with them for eternity until they make things right.

Warrionex
Old 05-29-07, 03:54 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

As far as I know most states have a law where damage does not need to be disclosed if the damage is under a certain % of total value. Right or wrong.....???? Unfortunately that's just the way it is.
Old 05-29-07, 05:02 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

And trying to prove it was there BEFORE you bought it. Who's to say you didn't do the damage, then repair, and now try to blame the dealer? Just throwing it out there.
Old 05-29-07, 05:37 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Try a Magnet on it just to be sure. If it has Bondo the magnet will not adhere or adhere nearly as much.

Make sure you put a piece of paper or tissue or food wrap between the magnet and your paint before putting the magnet on. You won't scratch your paint this way.

If you're suspicious, always run a velour type fabric with a strong magnet along the car where you have your doubts. If it's "filled", you'll know immediately.

This is the best way for purchasing a used car.

Old Oiler
Old 05-29-07, 06:09 PM
evotolexus
Driver

That's why you should always ask for the "Vehicle Inquiry Report". this will show whether there was any damage at the port.

It is not out of the ordinary for vehicles to be damaged in transit to the dealer. It's usually just minor adjustments, but this is reflected in the inquiry report.
Old 05-29-07, 09:23 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by evotolexus
That's why you should always ask for the "Vehicle Inquiry Report". this will show whether there was any damage at the port.

It is not out of the ordinary for vehicles to be damaged in transit to the dealer. It's usually just minor adjustments, but this is reflected in the inquiry report.
Really? I didnt know you could do that. Huh. I wonder if I could get one for mine now....? Its only been 2 months since I bought it.

Quick Reply: Lexus sold damaged goods to me