RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

ATF Drain/Fill amounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 07:14 AM
ppcpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATF Drain/Fill amounts

Greetings...did a drain and fill on the 2001 FWD RX yesterday..old fluid was purple looking, not really cherry red, and car was at 35000 miles.

The how2 on the web shows the guy with the 99AWD drained and filled right about 3 quarts. Mine was closer to 3.5 - 3.75 quarts.. I put 3 and a half back in. This morning, I started the engine and checked it and it was a little (1/8th inch) below the first cold indention on the ATF stick. I didn't add anymore because I had this question. Do you check the cold level when the engine is at normal op temp, but the car hasn't gone anywhere, or do you check it as soon as you start up? I checked it as soon as I got the engine started. If I would have let the engine warm up, do you think the level would have climbed up to the right level, or do I probably need to add some more fluid? I didn't want to overfill it this morning, and the wife had to go to work, so I let her take off. It was shifting smoothly yesterday.

how long does it take for the tranny fluid to become 'cool' (dipstick definition) again after it's been at normal op temp?

Thanks!!
Old 04-17-07, 09:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I did check ederny's how to site (ederny is a good guy, but did you also drain the front differential show below (just behind the tranny pan?

That can also contain about .5 liters of ATF.

Usually about 15 minutes after the RX300 is warmed up is a good time to check the warm level, preferably after having driven for 15 minutes as opposed to sitting their and letting it warm up.

Cold level should be when the vehicle is not turned on and it should be a little above the cold level mark.

FYI, my levels cold or hot are always above the hot level, I don't recommend this but do know that you have some leeway.
Attached Thumbnails ATF Drain/Fill amounts-frontdifferentialplug.jpg  
Old 04-17-07, 06:23 PM
ppcpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried draining that front diff, but the dang screw was on extremely tight, and I didn't have enough room to work with it. I got almost a full gal just from the pan. This was the factory fill, as far as I know. The fluid came out almost purple/magenta.

If your levels seem off on your ATF, start the car..mine is all streaky and all over the place..then I start it, and a couple minutes later, I get a good, clear level.

My Lexus manual says a drain and fill should be 3.3qts US. I know I drained more than that out, and I put back in 3.75qts, which is roughly what I took out. If I start the car and don't let the engine reach peak, my stick shows a little low. I haven't been able to test the hot yet due to time. If I put back what I took out, i don't guess I have much to worry about....
Old 04-17-07, 08:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ppcpilot
I tried draining that front diff, but the dang screw was on extremely tight, and I didn't have enough room to work with it. I got almost a full gal just from the pan. This was the factory fill, as far as I know. The fluid came out almost purple/magenta.

If your levels seem off on your ATF, start the car..mine is all streaky and all over the place..then I start it, and a couple minutes later, I get a good, clear level.

My Lexus manual says a drain and fill should be 3.3qts US. I know I drained more than that out, and I put back in 3.75qts, which is roughly what I took out. If I start the car and don't let the engine reach peak, my stick shows a little low. I haven't been able to test the hot yet due to time. If I put back what I took out, i don't guess I have much to worry about....
That differential plug is a PITA. I actually got 2 new plugs for the pan and differential for the next time I do it, as they have have been literally shredded to bits every time we did a drain and fill.
Old 04-18-07, 03:57 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
they have have been literally shredded to bits every time we did a drain and fill.
Mine haven't been used that often (51,000 mi). What part of your drain plugs are getting wear? Is it the 10mm hex slots or the threads? I can't visualize what would cause the wear.
Old 04-18-07, 06:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bob2200
Mine haven't been used that often (51,000 mi). What part of your drain plugs are getting wear? Is it the 10mm hex slots or the threads? I can't visualize what would cause the wear.
The slots. I can't figure it out either. But over the years, both the tranny bolt and especially the front differential have had issues. I can take some photos this weekend as I plan to change out just the rear differential/transfer case fluids (I know its early since I did it last year, but I am curious).