Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 09:28 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD

DISCLAIMER:

This is to allow upgrade and keep the override function and NOT for discussion of copying the Nav DVD. You can purchase your DVD upgrade from your local dealer or get a better deal from our CL vendors such as Sewell Lexus / Lexus parts here.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

2006 ISx50 = V5.1 DVD Navigation disc = V1550 firmware = Override Exists
2007 ISx50 = V6.1 DVD Navigation disc = V1650 firmware = NO Known Override Exists

FACT #1:

Upon inserting the V6.1 DVD into an ISx50, the firmware will be AUTOMATICALLY updated to V1650. Hence, you will lose your override.

FACT #2:

It is possible to go back to the old firmware. Yes, you heard me right. You can go back to your old firmware. It is NOT a problem at all, despite what Lexus and others may tell you. All you need to do is remove the fuse for the nav unit and put the old V5.1 disc back in. It may take 1-2 attempts, but the nav unit will load the old firmware with no problems. Many of us have gone back and forth between numerous firmwares on the ISx50 without any problems whatsoever.

FACT #3:

The firmware file is located on the nav DVD and is called "loading.kwi". This is only loaded when the power is cut to the nav, or a newer firmware is detected.

SOLUTION TO OVERRIDE:

You will need to own BOTH discs (V5.1 and V6.1) and a PC with a DVD Dual-Layer burner that supports bitsetting (booktype) in order to do this.

1) Copy all the files from the V6.1 disc to your hard drive into a directory called "nav" (or whatever name you want)
2) Copy the loading.kwi file from the V5.1 disc to your hard drive into the same "nav" directory, overwriting the existing loading.kwi file
3) Burn all the files in the nav disc directory to a DVD+R DL disc - Booking type (bitsetting) DVD-ROM

You now have a DVD with all the map data and new features of the V6.1 disc, with the firmware + override of the V5.1 disc.

This has been confirmed to work on an ISx50.

The biggest variable here is your burner software settings, although many variables exists, including what type of media you use, what burning software you use and the type of burner you have.

FYI, our successful burns used:
1) Various media (Verbatim and Memorex)
2) Various burning software (dvd decrypter, isoburn, or Prassi Ones)
3) Various burners (plextor, benq, samsung, liteon)
4) Burner software settings must set - Book Type (aka Bitsetting) = DVD-ROM

Hope this helps those of you who wanted to upgrade to the new V6.1 DVD but don't want to lose the override.

"Pro-Override gang" signing off...

Last edited by Technique; 11-29-06 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-29-06, 09:40 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AWESOME! Can't wait to try it.
Old 11-29-06, 09:48 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info!! how long does it take to do this? and how much different is the new version from the old, i.e., is it worth it to upgrade?
Old 11-29-06, 09:51 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsquared
thanks for the info!! how long does it take to do this? and how much different is the new version from the old, i.e., is it worth it to upgrade?
I don't know about you guys, but I think it's not worth to upgrade since i'm living in OC, CA and some major freeway (like 22) is under major contruction. And I don't think the new version has an update of that.
Old 11-29-06, 10:02 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you BIG time for your effort and results but how do I go about
acquiring a 5.1 disk since all I have in my car is 6.1?
Old 11-29-06, 10:04 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by viettho
I don't know about you guys, but I think it's not worth to upgrade since i'm living in OC, CA and some major freeway (like 22) is under major contruction. And I don't think the new version has an update of that.
yeah, i'm in san diego and i don't think there's really anything new that's gonna be added... at least not worth spending the $270. but either way, it'd be nice to know how long it takes, and how easy it is just in case i decide to do it.
Old 11-29-06, 10:11 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

^what he said... it'll save you the $$$. haha i was kinda surprised when i saw the GB price for the new 6.1 disk was $270...
Old 11-29-06, 10:12 AM
markyboy
Rookie

Depending on what area you live in the map data may or may not be much different.
Here in Calgary, Canada I can tell you that the map information is not much different than the map information on the 5.1 disk. To be honest with you the map information is quite poor in comparison to my friends portable Garmin unit.
Old 11-29-06, 10:13 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsquared
1) Copy files to your hard drive (5-10 minutes)
2) Burn DVD (20-30 minutes)
3) Eject old DVD and replace with new burned DVD (5 minutes)
4) Pull fuse and replace and watch firmware load (5-10 minutes)

So maybe like 30-60 minutes...
Old 11-29-06, 10:36 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This is great information. Thanks for your time and efforts.
Old 11-29-06, 10:42 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Ok. let me ask a question for those that have an 07 with the v6.1 DVD but want to be able to override.

Do we just have to eject the 6.1 DVD and copy the contents to our hard drive, replace the loading.kwi file with that from the 5.1 DVD, burn it all to a DVD+RL disc (bitsetting to dvd-rom), and then just insert it back into our car and let it do it's thing? In other words, for those with an 07 all they really need is the old firmware file?

One other question, which I'm sure has been answered before but would be nice if it was in this thread. How/where do we eject the dvd and insert the new one we made.

Thanks
Old 11-29-06, 10:55 AM
chuckler
Driver

Originally Posted by totalstu
Ok. let me ask a question for those that have an 07 with the v6.1 DVD but want to be able to override.

Do we just have to eject the 6.1 DVD and copy the contents to our hard drive, replace the loading.kwi file with that from the 5.1 DVD, burn it all to a DVD+RL disc (bitsetting to dvd-rom), and then just insert it back into our car and let it do it's thing? In other words, for those with an 07 all they really need is the old firmware file?

One other question, which I'm sure has been answered before but would be nice if it was in this thread. How/where do we eject the dvd and insert the new one we made.

Thanks
the nav dvd is found in the glove box...there should be a button for it.
Old 11-29-06, 10:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Exclamation

Members please read:

A reminder that discussion of software piracy on our forum will result in infractions, suspension or permanent removal of your access.

I have removed a couple of posts already that, if continued, will cause this informational post to be closed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq.php

Specifically

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...hibited_topics
Prohibited Topics

The following topics and links are prohibited on Club Lexus:

Links or discussions regarding software piracy including duplication of Lexus Navigation DVDs or other Lexus software
To recap:

A) Own both disks versions, creating a workaround for the Override FINE, NO PROBLEM
Questions about the process on creating this type of hybrid backup JUST FINE

B) Discussions about swapping disks between members, burning and /or selling Nav DVD copies, sending files YOU WILL BE SUSPENDED

There will be no further warnings in this thread on this topic. Post about piracy, you will take two weeks off.

PS, nice job Technique
Old 11-29-06, 11:01 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckler
the nav dvd is found in the glove box...there should be a button for it.
It's NOT in the glove box on the IS250 or IS350. The nav DVD is located BEHIND the clock face that is below the nav screen. There are two small holes to access it. There is a tool that comes with the IS to do this. You pop the face off and then eject the disc via the nav interface. Do a search, you'll find pics and links...
Old 11-29-06, 11:06 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I may have to try this myself, good job! Thanks for providing the info.

Are you sure you can go back and forth with the firmware? I know maybe the version number on the screen might change or maybe it appears that the [re]loading is taking place (which in and of instead is not exactly proof) but are you absolutely sure that the old firmware is put back into the nav? What is different about the old firmware vs. the new firmware (functionality, color, routing, new screens, etc) that proves the new firmaware is removed and reverts back to the old firmware?

I'm asking for those of us with '06 who screw up this conversion and want to simply start over and go back to the old '06 disc and firmware and get the old override back, are you 100% positive?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD