ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Please indicate your ES350 transmission problem, concern by build month
Transmission Shift Flare Requiring Service
27.45%
Transmission seems erratic at times with a shift flare now and then, will observe for now
25.49%
02/06 Build
1.96%
03/06 Build
1.96%
04/06 Build
7.84%
05/06 Build
11.76%
06/06 Build
7.84%
07/06 Build
9.80%
08/06 Build
17.65%
09/06 Build
15.69%
10/06 Build
5.88%
11/06 Build
7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Problem By Build Date

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-06, 03:02 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Problem By Build Date

Many people ask what the build month is of cars that have transmission issues.

Hope this poll helps those interested.

Please indicate if you have or had a transmission problem with your ES350 or that you suspect you might but have not yet brought it up to service department and are observing it for now and then indicate the build month for the car which can be found on driver's door jamb displayed by month/year, as example...02/06.

If you no longer have the car you may still indicate your former vehicle on this poll.
Old 11-26-06, 04:12 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bob for the thread, My Flare hit 550 one time and for the most part seem to be around 250-400. Is this the baby Flare. Other thing going on is the flare was like clock work every morning, but now some mornings I have no flare then it does it again a few days later then back to no flare. Each morning I dive the same way at the same time in the morning. The other thing I just read is some dealers SC are disconnecting the battery now then reconnect to let the ecm re-learn again. Has anyone had this happen to them when taking there car in for some other service?
Old 11-26-06, 04:22 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by osokuko
Thanks Bob for the thread, My Flare hit 550 one time and for the most part seem to be around 250-400. Is this the baby Flare. Other thing going on is the flare was like clock work every morning, but now some mornings I have no flare then it does it again a few days later then back to no flare. Each morning I dive the same way at the same time in the morning. The other thing I just read is some dealers SC are disconnecting the battery now then reconnect to let the ecm re-learn again. Has anyone had this happen to them when taking there car in for some other service?

You are welcome.
The flare can first start out mild, aka baby flare, and progress to more intense when it happens though driving style was unchanged as my former car did, or it seems it can come on strong with no interim milder form giving you a hint of things to come.

Driving style, as in acceleration level, can show up reflected in intensity of it.

Sounds like you are going to do what I am doing, observe for now, but will bring it up to service in future, or sooner even if it gets far more frequent...

I still have very low miles on my car and there seems no reliable permanent fix for it anyway at this time except getting rid of the car and into something else entirely.
Old 11-26-06, 05:33 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, I think some people either missunderstood this poll or didn't realize that you have to select a build date AND the problem. If you don't have any problems, don't click on a build date. Cause right now we have 7 people reporting their build dates and only 5 listing their problems?!?
Old 11-26-06, 05:36 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Yes I'm making an apointment this week to have the SC test for the flare and to look at my NAV screen diming to dark after 30-45 min. of use. My flare has been this low rpm 200-400 area since 1480 miles to the current 2200 miles. But I feel I must act now and have the service center enter a record to protect my investment later. I plan to wait also until this issue is solved as we all know a new tranny is no guarantee. My other concern is the financial aspects of re-sale later, will anyone what to perchase an 07?
Old 11-26-06, 05:37 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
Hmm, I think some people either missunderstood this poll or didn't realize that you have to select a build date AND the problem. If you don't have any problems, don't click on a build date. Cause right now we have 7 people reporting their build dates and only 5 listing their problems?!?
I noticed that too but figured they just selected the build date of their car that had a problem.
Old 11-26-06, 05:48 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Hi twister how's the car? Hey remember the 80/20 rule? Hopefully it will continue with "problem/build date" now.
Old 11-26-06, 06:06 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I assume you mean GS? Its great!!! I guess by some forces of nature (the same one that caused my tranny problems? ) I ended up with a car that was meant to fit my needs and style better! Yeah, not as much interior and trunk room and gas mileage will not match ES, but a much sportier fun ride with a better handling.

Not sure about 80/20 rule???
Old 11-26-06, 07:11 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Wow the car sounds grate, well actually I was over looking at the gs350 matador red with black interor at Lexus site, umm nearly the same size as ES. He He. Hey got some new info on Flare. Seems the Toyota gang maybe on to something. Folks with the same flare issue (every day like clock work) have taken their car for a full throttle run and noticed that the flare either reduced in size or went away. Last week on the way home from work I did the same a full throttle in second gear all the way to 6200 rpm then it shifted. Then slowed down again - no one on the road. The next morning I had a much smaller flare of 150 and the next day no flare for the first time in a long while. My flares had been running about 400 each morning just like clock work, but now there much smaller 150-200 and some day no flare. Something change. Please I don't wish anyone to push you cars, only info to think about. So we may be on to somethings or it's nothing, time will tell as other try this.

oops had to edit: ONSKNHT if your around you probably know the thread I'm talking about, so what do you think?

Last edited by osokuko; 11-26-06 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-26-06, 08:31 PM
ckon
Rookie

That's what I was asking here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248093 last week, but nobody seemed to think it had any merit. I drive mine hard with fairly frequent full throttle shifts and I have no flare.

Last edited by ckon; 11-27-06 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-27-06, 06:50 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

oso...,

Since you tried that and you still have a level of spiking/flare, I'd say you answered your own question.
Old 11-27-06, 08:03 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I noticed that too but figured they just selected the build date of their car that had a problem.
Or maybe they don't have a problem and are indicating this by just selecting the build date?

It would have been nice to have a no problem line so those of us without transmission issues could contribute too. Without this you don't know if a low response rate is due to apathy or to good transmissions.

I can see though, that the current poll format does allow for a quick look at the most problematic build dates if everyone does select an issue.

Last edited by dreyfus; 11-27-06 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-27-06, 08:15 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Or maybe they don't have a problem and are indicating this by just selecting the build date?

It would have been nice to have a no problem line so those of us without transmission issues could contribute too. Without this you don't know if a low response rate is due to apathy or to good transmissions.

I can see though, that the current poll format does allow for a quick look at the most problematic build dates if everyone does select an issue.
I did it in this fashion so that it is easy to identify the build month of vehicles exeriencing problems, otherwise you would not be able to tell if both issue and non-issue were posting.

I don't think anyone would select build month on this poll to indicate a problem free transmission given the title, the preface and the underscore posting, I think they are like anybody can be at times, just read the subject title, and selected their build month because their transmission is or was hosed up.
Old 11-27-06, 08:52 AM
e-Mel
Rookie

08/11/06 build.
No Transmission problems.
Old 11-28-06, 05:11 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Bob - great poll. I'm shocked that the later builds still report problems. Its too early for the 10/06 and 11/06 builds I suspect to report issues. I shouldn't be shocked by these polls, but they continue to have that effect on me!

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem By Build Date