Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The All-New 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser (+ thecarconnection review - Page 16)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 06:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

exterior = B O R I N G!

Last edited by bagwell; 08-15-07 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 06:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
would you rathr have a pop-up NAV like some cars are going to???!!!! NO!!!!!
Not sure how my previous post inferred any dislike towards the nav unit in the pic. I said "With nav it looks much better", meaning that I like it!! It's the non-nav console that I don't like.

And no, of course I'd hate to see pop-up nav here.
Old 08-15-07, 06:39 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Not sure how my previous post inferred any dislike towards the nav unit in the pic. I said "With nav it looks much better", meaning that I like it!! It's the non-nav console that I don't like.

And no, of course I'd hate to see pop-up nav here.
sorry dude...misread...I fixed it.
Old 08-15-07, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's pretty tough to name a mass-market SUV that has a better interior than this LC.
Hardly. The MB GL, Cadillac SRX, Escalade, Chevy Tahoe - all look way better than this LC interior!

The exterior has always been vanilla though for the LC, and the interior more about functionality and comfort than style.
The current LC/LX interior is very nice.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-15-07 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 07:44 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Hardly. The MB GL, Cadillac SRX, Escalade, Chevy Tahoe - all look way better than this LC interior!

The current LC/LX interior is very nice.
Oh come ON. The GL interior is rather barren and cold looking despite having nice materials and the SRX is a step up from the last but not amazing. Escalada and Tahoe interiors are nice as well, but I don't think any nicer looking than this one.

The design of this LC looks very nice, but what remains to be seen is the quality. I'm hoping that it doesn't go in favor of high texture, glossy and brittle plastics like many other Toyotas have lately. If that's the case it WILL be a step down from the current one.
Old 08-16-07, 06:33 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thing looks dated already. Is that wood trim or some sort of dark marble wood like hybrid type of material.....
Old 08-16-07, 08:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Milla...
This thing looks dated already. Is that wood trim or some sort of dark marble wood like hybrid type of material.....
Sadly, I agree. It doesn't look like a new interior at all.

Old 08-16-07, 09:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Looks are a subjective thing, but is the Tahoe interior actually better than the new LC? That's doubtful. I can see push start in the LC interior. Already one thing the Tahoe doesn't have.

As for the other SUVs you mentioned, they are all considered as luxury SUVs, as they fall under the Cadillac and Benz brands. They sell in low volumes, and are not mainstream "mass market" SUVs like the LC. Toyota sells roughly 250,000 LCs worldwide each year. GM doesn't sell anywhere near that many Tahoes, but the Tahoe is a mass market SUV. Besides, the Escalade's competition is the LX570, and it's interior is in a whole other league compared to this LC.

Could Toyota have done a better job on this new LC interior? Definitely. Is it a bad interior or worse than others in the class? I doubt that.
Old 08-17-07, 05:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Interior looks really good, and uses a lot of soft plastics, leather and real wood.

Previous LC had old school interior that was better done in Prado, not suprising since it is newer car.

If Prado is to go by, new LC will have Lexus materials and build inside, even when equipped without headunit (worker edition).
Old 08-17-07, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

What I don't like about this LC interior from what I can see in the pic is how the center stack just looks like a big pile of black plastic that juts out from the rest. I like something that flows better.

If you guys like it, more power to you.
Old 08-18-07, 05:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

What I don't like about this LC interior from what I can see in the pic is how the center stack just looks like a big pile of black plastic that juts out from the rest. I like something that flows better.

If you guys like it, more power to you.
just as in any lexus... actually no, unlike in previous Lexus products, it is not shiny black plastic, it has texture. So I would say it looks considerably better

:-)
Old 08-18-07, 06:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. LX570 interior looks better, which was probably the point... It looks as (or more) luxurious than LS460's...

I wonder if LX570 will be offered around the world as Lexus as well, since they made it so different (unlike Prado/GX)...
Old 09-18-07, 01:26 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news-589-...+in+Japan.html

Toyota Launches Fully Redesigned 'Land Cruiser' in Japan

In the world of 4WD, few had the chance to be ranked at the world best vehicle… And the Land Cruiser is without a doubt one of them! Since 1954 Toyota propose the ultimate driving machine when it comes to off-road vehicles and this morning Watanabe-San, president of Toyota, proudly announced the arrival of a new generation of Land Cruiser, which will surely be once again the king of the jungle.

In a pure aesthetic point of view this new generation is not so different from the old ones, but it is under the "metallic" skin that most of the new features are hiding, like for example a new chassis, new suspensions, a new 4.7l V8 engine with VVT-I, as well as a new computer assisted 4WD technology…

A new best that we will be happy to test drive for you soon in order to check what this car can really do !

Tokyo — TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announced today the launch in Japan of the completely redesigned "Land Cruiser" full-size, top-of-the-line SUV.

The new Land Cruiser, designed under the theme "The King of Four-Wheel Drives", features a new platform and suspension, 4.7-liter V8 engine with VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) and new technologies that enhance all-around driving performance. As a result, the Land Cruiser's traditional durability, reliability, off-road performance and other basic functions have been raised to a new level.

In addition, VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) side and curtain shield airbags and a newly developed Active Headrest—all standard—combine with an optional advanced Pre-crash Safety System to achieve safety performance at the highest levels in its class

Vehicle Outline

Advanced Basic Performance
The Land Cruiser's completely redesigned platform retains a full frame structure ensuring strength and durability with approximately 1.4 times greater torsional rigidity and approximately 1.2 times greater flexural rigidity. This also serves to increase collision safety while reducing on-road noise and vibration, contributing to enhanced interior comfort.
The suspension provides outstanding handling and cruising stability both on-road and off-road, making for a comfortable ride. A newly developed coil spring, high-mounted, double wishbone suspension in front replaces the previous torsion bar type, while the rear suspension retains the acclaimed four-link type, with optimized control arm placement and tuning.
The 4.7-liter 2UZ-FE V8 gasoline engine features VVT-I, raising the compression ratio (from 9.6:1 to 10.0:1) and maximum engine speed (from 4,800rpm to 5,400rpm), substantially increasing output (up 39kW [53PS]) to provide driving performance with power to spare.
The 5 Super ECT (Super Intelligent, Electronically-controlled, Five-speed Automatic Transmission) Sequential Shiftmatic transmission allows the driver to enjoy a manual-transmission-like sensation.
To match the substantial increase in engine output, the front and rear ventilated-disc brakes are a larger 17 inches (compared to a previous 16 inches) and feature outstanding anti-fading performance.

New Technologies and Equipment that Enhance All-around Driving Performance

'Crawl Control' System
The world's first* "crawl control" system is standard on all models. When driving on surfaces that require delicate speed adjustments such as on rocks or sand and on steep hills, the engine and brakes are automatically controlled to maintain a very low speed, minimize wheel spinning and locking, and provide outstanding vehicle stability. The system maintains vehicle speed at approximately 1km/h to 5km/h, and three speed settings can be selected by the simple turn of a dial. This allows the driver to focus on steering and is also effective at helping the driver get the vehicle out when it becomes stuck.
* As of August 2007, as surveyed by TMC

Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS)
Japan's first* kinetic dynamic suspension system—standard on the "G Selection" model—uses hydraulics to optimally control the front and rear stabilizers depending on the driving conditions, providing excellent vehicle stability for on-road driving through the use of the stabilizers and outstanding off-road performance by disabling the stabilizers off-road for greater suspension stroke.
* As of August 2007, as surveyed by TMC

Torsen® LSD*
The center differential built into the transfer unit of the full-time all-wheel drive system is a newly developed Torsen® LSD (standard on all models). During normal cruising, the Torsen® LSD distributes drive power to the front and rear based on a 40/60 split that favors the rear wheels, but can also instantaneously change a 50/50 split to a 30/70 split in drive power distribution to match road conditions. This delivers outstanding vehicle stability as well as smooth starting, acceleration and cornering on all road surfaces.
* "Torsen" is a registered trademark of JTEKT Corporation; Torsen LSD stands for "torque sensing limited slip differential."

Multi-terrain ABS
A newly adopted multi-terrain ABS (Anti-lock Brake System)—standard on all models—provides excellent braking performance even on dirt roads, gravel and sand.

HAC
The newly adopted HAC (Hill-start Assist Control)—standard on all models— minimizes vehicle roll-back when starting on steep hills or climbing slippery surfaces by controlling brake fluid pressure as the driver's foot is removed from the brake to the accelerator.

Class-leading Safety Performance
The Land Cruiser adopts an advanced GOA (Global Outstanding Assessment) collision-safety body that has been improved to meet stricter-than-normal conditions by incorporating the concept of omni-directional compatibility. Through the use of a body that effectively absorbs collision impact by diffusing it throughout its structure, Toyota satisfied all independent targets for survival space and occupant injury.
Improvements in the body structure further reduce the likelihood of pedestrian head injuries in an effort to achieve one of the highest levels of injury prevention in this vehicle class.
In addition to VSC, dual-stage SRS airbags for the driver and front passenger seat, SRS knee airbags for the driver and front passenger seat, SRS side airbags for the driver, front passenger and second-row seats and SRS curtain shield airbags that cover the front through to the third-row seats, are standard on all models.
Also adopted as standard equipment is an Active Headrest for the driver and front passenger seat, which shifts to an appropriate position in order to lessen the stress on the neck and reduce the risk of whiplash injury sustained during a rear-end collision.
The advanced Pre-crash Safety System employs near simultaneous responses to sudden braking (standard on the "G Selection" model) and millimeter wave radar (optional on the "G Selection" model).

New Equipment that Enhances Comfort and Security
In anticipation of operation under extreme weather conditions, air conditioning performance has been enhanced by adopting fully automatic independent temperature controls for four areas (the driver and passenger side and the front and rear) as standard on all models and a pollen removal mode that filters out pollen, dust and other impurities from the air.
An optional 30GB high-capacity HDD navigation system with a high-resolution 8-inch wide display is compatible with the advanced "G-BOOK ALPHA Pro" telematics service and offers Bluetooth-compatible hands-free telephone communication1 and numerous other multimedia functions. The audio/visual system includes an integrated AM/FM radio with an in-dash, six-disc DVD/CD changer with MD player and nine speakers. The NAVI-AI2 Shift Control System uses road information from the navigation system for optimal gear shift control.
The Smart Entry & Start System is standard on all models and uses a key that does not need to be removed from the driver's pocket to lock and unlock the doors, as well as a push button for starting the engine.
The redesigned total package increases the interior length by 175mm.
The redesigned seats achieve greater comfort as well as functionality. The heated front seats feature free temperature control (standard on the "G Selection" model) compared to two temperature settings previously. The second-row seats (6:4 split) have a 105mm slide function and new reclining backrests that fold in a 4:2:4 split. The authentic leather ("G Selection" model) second-row left and right seats are heated. The third-row seats (5:5 split) offering an "extra space" function that lifts the seats up and folds them away with just a single touch.
An antitheft system with enhanced security functions—standard on all models—features an engine immobilizer system and an auto alarm function fitted with an intrusion sensor and tilt sensor.

Interior and Exterior Designs that Convey the Reliability of the Land Cruiser
The interior and exterior designs were created based on the Toyota brand design philosophy "Vibrant Clarity". The Land Cruiser identity is maintained with an exterior design that seeks to combine reliability with a sense of advancement, while the interior boasts the advanced features of a full-scale four-wheel drive vehicle and a sense of quality and precision to express dependability.
The front view is a modern expression of the traditional Land Cruiser look. The increased vertical thickness expresses the powerful structure and character of a high-end SUV.
The side view emphasizes solidity with a strong horizontal axis, while a new form that merges the front and rear fenders into the body emphasizes the presence of the wheels and expresses dynamism and advancement.
The rear view features combination taillights that project from the body and a bumper integrated with the body to convey a wide feel and sense of stability.
The largely horizontal instrument panel creates a sense of expansiveness in the cockpit and allows the driver to easily determine any tilting of the vehicle.
The center cluster expresses strength with holding bars on its sides that have the quality of sculpted metal.
The steering wheel features a stability-exuding design characterized by its large pad, while large switches embedded in metallic bezels achieve both functionality and a sense of quality.
Two new body colors—a dynamic and glossy Gold Mica Metallic and a high-gloss Green Mica Metallic—have been added for a total of seven colors.

Posted on 18/09/07 By G-A.G

Old 09-18-07, 01:27 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Old 09-18-07, 02:25 AM
xioix
Racer

I know some of you don't like the interior, but I love it, and wished it was in the Tundra too

Quick Reply: The All-New 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser (+ thecarconnection review - Page 16)