Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry Craze: Toyota short on supply, working to keep up with demand

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 08:44 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Camry Craze: Toyota short on supply, working to keep up with demand

Camry Craze
Long America's best-selling car, the newest Camry has cranked things up a notch

By MARK RECHTIN | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Published 08/28/06, 7:47 am et
LOS ANGELES - The best-selling car in America is hot.

Dealers have a slim 10-day supply of the redesigned 2007 Toyota Camry, which hit dealerships in March. The Georgetown, Ky., plant is running overtime and weekend shifts. Sales executives are begging for the Japanese Camry plant to export more. The car has no incentives.

"Customers are following the car carriers to the dealership," says Toby Hynes, president of Gulf States Toyota, which distributes vehicles to 148 Toyota dealerships. "This is not just selected dealers. It's every dealer in every market that is short of product."

The 2007 redesign gave the Camry more attractive styling, more interior room and more power. A hybrid version is now available. And rising gasoline prices are pushing customers away from trucks and toward cars.

If Toyota's manufacturing plants keep up with demand, there is a strong chance that the Camry could be the first car to top 450,000 sales since the Chevrolet Impala in 1978.

The Camry has been America's best-selling car every year but one since 1997.

Sales, transaction prices up

Since the March launch of the redesigned model, Toyota has sold 205,615 Camrys, including the still-to-be-redesigned Camry Solara coupe, up 3.1 percent from the March-July period of last year, according to the Automotive News Data Center. Sedan sales account for 90 percent of the total.

A 3.1 percent increase is modest, considering redesigns typically boost demand. But dealers say they could sell many more if stock were available. And the average transaction price of the Camry is rising, from $22,378 in April to $22,558 in July, according to the Power Information Network.

Meanwhile, many light-truck segments are faltering with $3-per-gallon gasoline. Full-sized SUVs fell 29.5 percent in the five-month period.

Mid-sized cars are flat, down 0.4 percent in the March-July period.

Before the redesign, the Camry was a loss-leader for Toyota dealers; dealers ordered them to become eligible for hotter, more profitable models. The cars often sold for below dealer invoice.

"There were years in the not-distant past when you were content to lose a grand a unit on Camry, because you'd make it up on other products," says Fritz Hitchcock, a multiline dealer in Puente Hills, Calif.

"Now we're getting within $500 of sticker, and we can make a buck on them. You'd have to be asleep at the switch not to be selling these."

As Toyota factories rush to fill Camry orders, the launch has encountered a speed bump. Internet chat sites such as Edmunds.com, MSN Autos and Yahoo! Autos list hundreds of customer complaints about 2007 Camry powertrains hesitating under low-speed acceleration. That echoes problems suffered in the launch of last year's redesigned Avalon, which shares many components with the Camry.

In response to these complaints, Toyota has issued several technical service bulletins for the 2007 Camry powertrain, a spokesman said. The bulletins address transmission malfunctions, spiking RPMs and harsh downshifts.

Toyota's success around the world has caused a substantial review of the company's vaunted quality procedures.

Executives are pondering whether Toyota's rapid growth is undermining vehicle quality, forcing a reevaluation of the automaker's launch strategy.

More room, more pizazz

In the redesign, Toyota accurately gauged consumer demands for a more upscale interior, more rear-seat room and more power, dealers say.

Its exterior design also is more appealing. In a review, AutoWeek described the Camry as having "more interesting surface treatments, shapes, lines and details."

Even in domestic-friendly Michigan, Toyota dealers are sold out of Camrys.

"Customers aren't treating this like a core volume car. They're acting like it's a niche car," says Rosario Criscuolo, owner of Spartan Toyota in Lansing, Mich.

"The only reason we are discounting off sticker price is so we can help people get out of a negative equity situation when they finance," Criscuolo says. A customer has negative equity when he owes more on his car loan than the car is worth.

Another Camry advantage is a strong residual value from Automotive Lease Guide, he says. After three years, the Camry retains 62 to 64 percent of its sticker price, depending on the trim level. The residual, the value of a vehicle at the end of a lease, allows Toyota to offer low monthly lease payments.

Mid-sized cars continue to account for more than half of the vehicles traded in to get a Camry. However, SUVs have increased from 13.3 to 15.6 percent of vehicles traded in, according to PIN data. During the March-July period, the Ford Explorer was the fifth-most traded-in vehicle for a Camry, up from eighth in the same period of 2005, the PIN data states.

"We're seeing a lot of SUVs coming in on trades, from Envoys to Explorers and Navigators," Criscuolo said. "They are getting out of domestic SUVs and into our car. Now we're going to retain them."

More stock coming

Some inventory relief will come this fall when the Georgetown plant begins building 48,000 Camry Hybrid models, about one-eighth of Camry production at the plant. That will free up Toyota's Japanese export allocation for more standard Camrys, while the Japanese hybrid plant can concentrate on Prius production.

Next spring the Subaru plant in Indiana will begin building Camrys at a rate of 100,000 units per year. But that will not be incremental production, cautions Toyota manufacturing spokesman Dan Sieger. Those units will be used to decrease the number of Camry exports from Japan.
Old 08-28-06, 10:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wow 10 day supply thats crazy. Its going to be hard to get much of a discount on them as a result. Dealers are going to make a ton of money now
Old 08-28-06, 10:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does Toyota count the Solara as part of its total Camry sales? Sounds kinda fishy, especially since they don't share a lot of things, such as the same V6 engines. I thought Toyota was trying to make the Solara an independent coupe, not a two-door Camry.

Does the Corolla and Matrix do the same number sharing?
Old 08-28-06, 11:26 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Does Toyota count the Solara as part of its total Camry sales? Sounds kinda fishy, especially since they don't share a lot of things, such as the same V6 engines. I thought Toyota was trying to make the Solara an independent coupe, not a two-door Camry.

Does the Corolla and Matrix do the same number sharing?
They count them the same as they are the carmy sedan and camry coupe (solara), same with the corolla and matrix
Old 08-28-06, 02:46 PM
LexFather

I cannot lie, its hard to imagine, I see a Camry on the streets and I am like "nice looking car". I find the rear very interesting and working really well.

They are all over here in Atlanta. And thank GOD they look like a Camry and Toyota didn't decide to make it look like a GS and have 10 million GS look alikes on the road like cough cough, someone else

Old 08-28-06, 06:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Camry SE is much more interesting. The Gen 5 SE was sorta like the Corolla S of 2001 and 2002 - rear spoiler, alloys and in the Corolla's case, side skirts. IOW, not much to spruce up the exterior. The same goes for the interior - just black in colour and red (Corolla S) or orange (Camry SE).

At least now it has its own set of gauges, its own grille and bodykit and very nice "CAMRY SE" aluminium door sill plates.
Old 08-28-06, 08:13 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Looking through the ads in this Sunday's Chicago Trib I was surprised to see "Order yours today" listed under the Camry ad. Very interesting.
Old 08-28-06, 08:21 PM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

I find Camry to be VERY attractive. Honestly, I don't think camry has been that good looking before.

My girl's parent got a white one. Its a thing of beauty.
Old 08-28-06, 09:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see SO many 07 Camry in SoCal, it is not even funny.

Old 08-28-06, 10:42 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I love the new design. I find myself contemplating a trade for a nice, black manual SE Camry.
Old 08-28-06, 10:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the Camry hybrid's look the best, it looks elegant and refined in a way I never thought a Camry would. Next up is the sport edition, but the regular Camry doesn't look that bad either. I like them all this time.
Old 08-29-06, 10:31 AM
VorghenRiz
Driver School Candidate

IMO, the new exterior is beautiful and not "boring" as most rags make it out to be. If given the choice, I'd take a Camry over an Accord, Sonata, Fusion, or Altima. And those hybrid ones, damn, are those LED lights on the rear?
Old 08-29-06, 10:49 AM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

The SE version is the hottest with the kit.. I would luv one in red or black
Old 08-29-06, 10:53 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I cannot lie, its hard to imagine, I see a Camry on the streets and I am like "nice looking car". I find the rear very interesting and working really well.
Same here. I never thought I'd see the day when I thought the Camry was a good looking car
Old 08-29-06, 03:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

wow... many ppl like the camry, eh?

Quick Reply: Camry Craze: Toyota short on supply, working to keep up with demand