Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The First Hybrid Benz will be launched in 2008

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 06:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default The First Hybrid Benz will be launched in 2008

From correspondents in Berlin

July 16, 2006
This article from : Agence France-Presse

THE first hybrid Mercedes car will be launched at the start of 2008, German-US parent company DaimlerChrysler said overnight, in an effort to tap into a growing market as consumers look to cut their fuel bills.

Soaring fuel prices have led to a rise in sales of hybrid vehicles, which use a combination of petrol and electric propulsion which cuts consumption and emissions. Japanese automakers have stolen a march on competitors, launching several hybrid cars, most notably Toyota with its Prius.

A hybrid Mercedes S Class was presented at the recent Frankfurt car show, and the firm has previously said that it would be launched in the US and Japanese markets.

source : couriermail.news.com.au
Old 07-16-06, 07:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
From correspondents in Berlin

July 16, 2006
This article from : Agence France-Presse

THE first hybrid Mercedes car will be launched at the start of 2008, German-US parent company DaimlerChrysler said overnight, in an effort to tap into a growing market as consumers look to cut their fuel bills.

Soaring fuel prices have led to a rise in sales of hybrid vehicles, which use a combination of petrol and electric propulsion which cuts consumption and emissions. Japanese automakers have stolen a march on competitors, launching several hybrid cars, most notably Toyota with its Prius.

A hybrid Mercedes S Class was presented at the recent Frankfurt car show, and the firm has previously said that it would be launched in the US and Japanese markets.

source : couriermail.news.com.au
But the engines won't actually start until 2009.

Sorry, left that one wide open

Old 07-16-06, 07:41 AM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Dr. Z:

Welcome to 2006! Glad you're here. Please build something that does not break. Thanks.
Old 07-16-06, 08:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and you thought their electrics were bad now
Old 07-16-06, 11:58 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say they're gonna use their new 3.5L V6 plus an electric motor. From the statement, I got the impression they are going after economy, not performance hybrids like Lexus does.
Old 07-17-06, 07:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

The technology will be offered on the S-Class in the form of a "mild" hybrid configuration. A mild hybrid setup costs less than a full hybrid system. It works by using an electric motor to provide additional power, rather than operating independently. Unlike full hybrids, the gas engine in a mild hybrid configuration is always running. The hybrid S-Class will go up against the Lexus LS 600h L, which is a 430 horsepower full hybrid.
Old 07-17-06, 07:45 AM
Milla...

I will be very afraid of their Hybrids, very afraid.
Old 07-17-06, 08:19 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Mercedes will not be able to compete with the LS 600h L. It will blow away Mecedes' S class hybrid. They will retreat with their tail between their legs. I kinda want to see this matchup...

Last edited by Trexus; 07-17-06 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very nice, definitely want to see what they can put up, when lexus already has 3 yrs head start on the system. it's funny they are putting the ls600hl as competitor though
Old 07-17-06, 12:29 PM
cloudnine
Pole Position

By the time this thing comes out, there'll probably an LS700hll, built on yet another generation of hybrid technology, and maybe 550 hp and 30 mpg.
Old 07-17-06, 01:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mild hybrids offer little improvement but is a nice way for companies to "supercharge" their engines, slap on a hybrid badge and call themselves green. Think Accord Hybrid. Same method with the new S-Class. It's more like (oh yeah Lexus? well.. well.. we have more hp than you.. )
Old 07-17-06, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

It may be enough to confuse the market of typical buyers, i.e., those not as aware of differences in hybrid drivetrains.

Besides, fuel economy is IRRELEVANT for vehicles like the S-class and LS600h.
Old 07-17-06, 04:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Besides, fuel economy is IRRELEVANT for vehicles like the S-class and LS600h.
True. But some people want V12 power without being so eco-incorrect about it.

I doubt that Lexus will ever make a V12 for their sedans. And with the current trend in gas prices, I doubt that it would be viable if they try. MB has a great history with powerful V12 engines, and will have the prestige to continue them even if the sales numbers drop.

For now, the V12-power trend will turn to V8s or V10s with hybrid systems. I wonder when BMW will join the club?
Old 07-17-06, 09:39 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

BMW still has plenty of time. Hybrids are still in it's infancy and Toyota has only scratched the surface. If I were BMW I would be developing some new technology to either catch up or be one up on the competition with new and efficient drivetrains other than just gasoline engines...
Old 07-17-06, 09:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
True. But some people want V12 power without being so eco-incorrect about it.

I doubt that Lexus will ever make a V12 for their sedans. And with the current trend in gas prices, I doubt that it would be viable if they try. MB has a great history with powerful V12 engines, and will have the prestige to continue them even if the sales numbers drop.

For now, the V12-power trend will turn to V8s or V10s with hybrid systems. I wonder when BMW will join the club?
very true, that's how i see it too. i think hybrid really means differently on lexus side than toyota. on toyota it's all about efficiency, cost, environment, etc....

however on the lexus side, i think it's their form of power, just like superchargers on amg. gas mileage isn't really the top of their pirorities at all. if you look at the rx400h, gs450h, they have pretty good gas mileage for their power, but it's definitely not something impressive

Quick Reply: The First Hybrid Benz will be launched in 2008