GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

"Snap, crackle & pop" goes into shop tomorrow :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 05:05 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Snap, crackle & pop" goes into shop tomorrow :(

NOT what I expect from a Lexus!
During the 5K service, I had to have the dealership fix the passenger door panel on our '06 GS300 (which I now refer to as "Snap, crackle & pop"), which was about 1/2" pulled away from the door, near the dash. The result was some plastic-to-plastic scrubbing between the door panel and dash. I also complained about a faint rattling sound coming from inside the passenger door that was driving me crazy whenever I rode in that seat. They fixed the panel, but claimed not to hear the rattle. Our car now has about 9K miles. Last week I started to hear a popping, creaking sound from the dash/windshield area that may be what others are hearing in another thread, so the car 'pops' every time I drive over a sharp bump. Well... tonight, as we left home to go for dinner, the area along the front edge of the closed sunroof started creaking so loud it sounds as if it will fall in on us! We bought a Lexus to AVOID the dealer's workshop! I'm PRAYING that I get a JD Power survey in the mail for this car

PS: Did I mention it takes 45 minutes to get to the dealer's workshop?
Old 01-11-06, 07:47 PM
scotts
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattles

The noise from the front end when going over bumps could be caused by the front stabalizer bar,they relaced the bushings on mine. The headliner on my car needed two clips replaced. I thought my rattle was from the roof also but was from the roof supports.The fix for the windshield noise is to replace and insulate the windshield clips.I`m very happy with my gs 300 since the repairs were done. The car seems quiet like when i first got it. HOPE IT STAYS THAT WAY.
Old 01-12-06, 03:53 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Scotts, did your entire dash have to be removed to fix the clips? The dealer told me they were pulling out my entire dash. They gave us an RX330 for a loaner overnight. That thing is also a rattle trap over rough pavement!
Old 01-12-06, 04:32 PM
alxmorse
Driver School Candidate

Default yup they sure will!!!

they pulled my whole dash out and had to fix the dash speakers... but on the up side no more rattles even though I'm on 20's
Old 01-12-06, 05:18 PM
scotts
Driver School Candidate

They said my noise was from under the cowl area.The dash was not touched yet.I`m still waiting for the temp to drop to know if it is fixed for sure. The problems seem common on the early production cars. I`m curious if your noise is from the windshield or the dash??, mine was from the windshield. keep us posted.I washed my car in a heater garage when it was cold and after It was dry I took it out for a ride. The car creaked like a 10 year old chevy. I knew then it was not the dash.

Last edited by scotts; 01-12-06 at 05:23 PM. Reason: more imfo
Old 01-12-06, 05:50 PM
alxmorse
Driver School Candidate

Default both

mine was both the ml dash peaker clipp and the window... it took three days oh and they replaced my glove box too....
Old 01-16-06, 10:16 AM
costanza
Pole Position

5 days and "Snap, crackle & pop" is STILL in the shop! They claimed to have fixed the noise issues I complained about, but said they now hear the steering column rubbing after having put everything back together
Old 01-16-06, 10:37 AM
scotts
Driver School Candidate

Default noises

make sure they check yout rear view mirror ,mine is getting worse and need s to be replaced.These issues are not lexus like.The other noises were fixed and the cars runs awsome.
Old 01-23-06, 07:31 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning on taking my GS in very soon for the windshield noise. Frankly, I'm disappointed by the number of minor fit/finish issues I've experienced with the GS. I still love the car, but I never thought I would be taking this car in for service so many times. Oh well, I guess even Lexus has troubles with their first year models, but at least it's nothing serious.
Old 01-23-06, 08:16 AM
GS4_LEX
Driver School Candidate

We buy the first year 06 GS model and we get the first year model "quirks" - but I am happy with it. I expect it from any first year car - no matter who they are.

They replaced my lock assembly and I still have a creeking noise but it is faint but still at the door sill area. Probably the door panel not fitting snugly with the door. I will let things shake out again and send it in. No big deal. I also had them replace some clips on the front windshield and some other things. My trim peice that is on the outside bottom of the doors was not staying put ( Broken Clip) was also fixed. Its all good.

We have to be patient with them finding out things once customers send it in to the service center to get repaired. TSB's have been sent out and I am sure several more will come to include more VIN numbers. My VIN was not part of the first two TSB's but i exhibited the same problems as the models that were in the VIN set.

Peace...
Old 01-23-06, 08:32 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just came back from the dealer today. It was in for about 4 days.

They had to take apart the dash and center console and do multiple
road tests. It is a first model year car and they fixed it under warranty,
no questions asked. They let me keep the loaner and it was a pain
(ES330), but now I have my car back

This is why I will wait a few years before getting the new LS460...
Takes a couple of years to get the glitches out.
Old 01-23-06, 09:59 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
This is why I will wait a few years before getting the new LS460...
Takes a couple of years to get the glitches out.
Yup, first year gowing pains. My old GS had a Dec. '98 build date, so it was a late 1st year model. Talk about rattles...the GS spent many days in the shop, although most of the rattles were eventually fixed. I'm sure by the 3rd year, the 3rd gen GS's will be rock solid.
Old 01-23-06, 05:58 PM
scotts
Driver School Candidate

Default rattles back

The wonderful noise from my windshield is back ( I might have to trade this car for a m35x.) I can`t believe its back. help My gs 300 is back at the dealer for a second try to fix the noises, it was quiet for more than a week.I cant be the only person with this problem that wont go away.
Old 01-23-06, 07:19 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scotts
The wonderful noise from my windshield is back ( I might have to trade this car for a m35x.) I can`t believe its back. help My gs 300 is back at the dealer for a second try to fix the noises, it was quiet for more than a week.I cant be the only person with this problem that wont go away.
Sorry about your frustration, scotts. Hopefully they will fix it this time around.

Mine seems to have gone away (at least it is a lot more subdued). It's odd you
mention the M35x, because the way I feel about my GS right now is that I am glad
I did not get that car. Hopefully the GS won't make me change my mind as well...
Old 01-24-06, 03:33 AM
soflGSguy
Rookie

don’t feel bad 2 times is nothing, I had my car in for soo many things I feel weird if 2 weeks go by and my car isn’t in the shop, I bring it for a rattle on the front right side they replace a speak on the front left, 2end time the replace the front bottom speak 3rd time replaced the front right speaker, rattle still there turn on it was the glove box, not my steering wheel sounds like a rattle, oh did I tell u I had it in 5 times because they wouldn’t replace my front seatbelts that DID not work? I love my GS, but I have friends with BMW's who have less problems anyone see a problem there? btw my car is going back in the shop the 25th to fix my cd/dvd changer that doesn’t read disks and fix the rattle in my steering wheel hopefully they wont replace the motter trying o fix the rattle

Quick Reply: "Snap, crackle & pop" goes into shop tomorrow :(