SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

speedo/tach trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-05, 02:54 PM
dpark500
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo/tach trouble

Seems like anytime anyone asks a question the reply is always "search for cluster repair'" or some other useless remark, but I'll try anyway.
My '93 SC300 (47k) has issues with the gauges, specifically the tach (doesn't work at all) and the speedo (reads much slower than actual speed, i.e: reads 60mph when I'm actually travelling at 85-- similar percentage discrepancy at slower speeds) Needles and lights work fine, odometer reads mileage according to the speedo info, which I suppose is a good thing considering that I only add about 70 miles to the odo for every 100 miles driven.
I am adept at mechanical and electrical repairs, I just need to know if anyone can guide me to the proper place to start. I have a BMW which had cluster issues that the dealer insisted required a $1700 repair, but it turned out that a 40 cent capacitor was the culprit. (Thanks to the guys on the Roadfly.com Bimmer board)
I'm hoping that a similar fix is in the offing here.
Old 06-05-05, 03:06 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Ohh man. Sounds like similar problem I had. My RPM guage says my car was idling at 0rpm. It was lying to me! So what I did is I took the whole thing out and moved the needle around a bit until it was perfectly zeroed. I put it back on and now everything looks perfect.
Old 06-05-05, 03:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by dpark500
Seems like anytime anyone asks a question the reply is always "search for cluster repair'" or some other useless remark, but I'll try anyway.
My '93 SC300 (47k) has issues with the gauges, specifically the tach (doesn't work at all) and the speedo (reads much slower than actual speed, i.e: reads 60mph when I'm actually travelling at 85-- similar percentage discrepancy at slower speeds) Needles and lights work fine, odometer reads mileage according to the speedo info, which I suppose is a good thing considering that I only add about 70 miles to the odo for every 100 miles driven.
I am adept at mechanical and electrical repairs, I just need to know if anyone can guide me to the proper place to start. I have a BMW which had cluster issues that the dealer insisted required a $1700 repair, but it turned out that a 40 cent capacitor was the culprit. (Thanks to the guys on the Roadfly.com Bimmer board)
I'm hoping that a similar fix is in the offing here.
unless your speed sensor is incorrect, no matter WHAT the needle points to, the mileage is unchanged, it is counted at the wheel, not the cluster. So, I highly doubt the mileage is incorrect.

Provided the cluster is bone stock, it's time to change the speed sensor.

"Search for cluster repair" applies to 99% of the posts here. The only useless part is the thread with all the info and noone even attempting to search.

Fortunately your problem is of a different calibur and can get a fresh answer, but you'll catch more bee's with honey, with regard to your attitude in approach.
Old 06-05-05, 04:18 PM
dpark500
Driver School Candidate

Default Mea Culpa

I apologize for the remark about being directed to search for the answer, but many on this board are new or unskilled at searching, and a quick, though repetitive answer to the poster's question would seem to be more appropriate. I have seen posts on other boards asking the same question over and over, and more often than not, that person's query is answered with a possible solution rather than a directive to look it up.
I know that I posted answers to the same 8 or 10 questions about common problems regarding the questioner's car rather than tell the poor guy to look it up on many, many occasions. It just takes a moment to cut and paste a previous poster's solution... and the questioner may very well realize that the search function is a useful tool on his own.
Oh, and as for the speed sensor, that makes sense, which is one of the things that has me baffled. I tested the odometer on I-95 a few weeks ago, and after 50 mile marker signs, the odo had registered 36.4 miles.
Tires and wheels are the same size as when the car was new.

Last edited by dpark500; 06-05-05 at 04:24 PM. Reason: to add more information
Old 06-05-05, 04:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

definately speed sensor related, if ti reads incorrectly, it won't be able to give you speed OR mileage, it sends the signal for both. That's my guess on the repair.

And for search we dedicated an entire thread and stickied it to the top of this forum on how to's. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/95303-please-use-the-engine-section-read-this-sticky-read-this-sticky-read-this.html
Old 06-05-05, 06:46 PM
2jznat
Pole Position

and is there a way to correct speedo with a tranny change
Old 06-05-05, 08:57 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dpark500
....but many on this board are new or unskilled at searching, and a quick, though repetitive answer to the poster's question would seem to be more appropriate......I know that I posted answers to the same 8 or 10 questions about common problems regarding the questioner's car rather than tell the poor guy to look it up on many, many occasions. It just takes a moment to cut and paste a previous poster's solution... and the questioner may very well realize that the search function is a useful tool on his own....
You're entitled to that opinion, and free to act that way towards newbies you encounter, but I disagree. If you answer a newbie's question with yet another cut and paste, where's his motivation to search in the future?

Yes, it only takes a moment to cut and paste a previous poster's solution, but it also only takes a moment to search. If the newbie is adept enough to find this forum and register, he's got the computer smarts it takes to use the search function.

Start 'em off right, I say. What's it say in the bible? "Give a man a fish, and his breath stinks for a day, but teach him to fish, and he stays offshore..." (or something like that).
Old 06-05-05, 10:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The thing is, when you ask one question, you get one answer. You have to wait for it. If you search, your answer is almost immediate followed tons of information and answers other questions that you havent even thought about yet. Just take the advice and search...