ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I need help with 'rear light failure warning' light

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 02:30 PM
bsunder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with 'rear light failure warning' light

When starting my 1996 ES300, the 'rear light failure warning' light comes on and stays on even though no bulbs are burn't out. What could be the cause of this?
Old 01-20-05, 02:53 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a burned out light?

Sorry. But seriously. I had the same issue come to find out i had 2 bulbs out at the same time symetrically on my tail lights. So when i viewed the card from the back it looked identical. So just double check that.
Old 01-20-05, 02:56 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

i have the same problem......it may be a loose bulb or something. I've triple checked mine and nothings out.....also check to see if its one of your license plate bulbs.
Old 01-20-05, 06:39 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

there is a sensor in the car. i was told at Sewell Lexus that its a common problem in ES's that reside in High humidity or low temperature environments. Are you sitting down?

cause to replace mine, they wanted:

$436.77
Old 01-24-05, 11:56 AM
bsunder
Driver School Candidate

Ouch-I can live with the warning light at that price! :-)
Old 01-24-05, 01:24 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

yeah well, im still not sure they werent jerking my chain, but mine pops on when i het the brake, so either i dont have my wiring functioning properly (could be more than $400 to fic that wiring is a PITA) or there really is a sensor, all of my lights work.

the only thing is, on my brakelights, only the outer two lights (1 on each side) light up when breaking, i was iunder the imperssion both the ones closest to the lisence plate and the ones just outside of this were supposed to get bright.

on the other hand, there is a click that happens when i press the brake pedal the first time after i start the car, right hen the warning ligth pops on. its coming from my dash/center console, right under the shifter mechanism from the sounds of it, so i think i may have a shorting wire in there, that arcs over to a piece of metal mounting or something...who knows, when i replace the dash and center console, i'll look into it.
Old 01-24-05, 05:56 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

hey just a heads up. when you delve into the world of a lexus center console be sure to get some bandaids and gause. lol you can loose a thumb. It cuts you like butter.
Old 01-24-05, 06:14 PM
sOaRaHh
Driver School Candidate

I had this problem the other night. i turned off my car and turned it back on and the warning light was gone. hasnt come on ever since.
Old 01-24-05, 08:00 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

yeah i have the same thing happen each time a bulb goes out. I dont know if its supposed to reset like that. but i just replace the bulb when i can and keep on truckin.
Old 01-24-05, 09:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by bsunder
When starting my 1996 ES300, the 'rear light failure warning' light comes on and stays on even though no bulbs are burn't out. What could be the cause of this?
Usually means one of your brakelights is out meaning one of the brake light dual filament bulb is no good. Your parking lights will work, but when you step on the brake, the brighter 2nd filament lights up usually. But when it is burned out, you will get that malfunction indicator light to come on. Have someone check in the back for you while you press on the brake. You will notice which bulbs do not light up when you press the brakes.
Old 02-14-05, 08:44 PM
cui
Driver School Candidate

I have a smiliar but different problem.
The dash warning light comes on because one of the right brake light with dual filament bulb would only light up the parking (dim) filament.

I even cut and swap the wires, and still only the dim filament would light up.
I am damn confused.

Anybody has a pdf of the brake circuitry?

I am happy if I can just leave out one bulb...as long as the dash warning light is not there.

(oh, when I switch the driving lights on and step on the brake...that problemtic sock will go out...somehow it thinks it only has the parking lamp...but I clearly measured there was 10.xxV in the high power node. And yes, I tried swapping bulbs...it is not the bulb problem.)

This drives me nuts!
Old 02-14-05, 08:48 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

i also forgot to mention, mine is intermittent. it seems that when its really cold outside, it doesnt come on. but it has to be like 20 dgrees (not cold where i come from, but for texas, thats pretty cold)
Old 02-22-05, 11:12 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Unfortunately, I plan on removing the bulb from the instrument cluster. The bass is entirely too much for the little plastic brake light to handle. I will take an airsaw to my back deck soon to make the bass come through more and to cover up the hole.
Old 02-22-05, 03:41 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

i actually tracked down my problem. the dual filament bulbs int he rear light up both when you have the headlights on,and when you press the brakes.

well, i found out today that instead of lighting up the brighter filament when i step ont he brake, one bulb goes completely out.

so its a wiring issue with me. now i have to track it down. i have already replaced the bulb...twice.
Old 09-30-08, 07:43 AM
fju2112
Driver

can someone tell me how many brake lamps there are supposed to be on a 2000 Lexus Es300, and the type of bulb that is OEM?

Quick Reply: I need help with 'rear light failure warning' light