GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Confusion on daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 07:10 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusion on daytime running lights

In the last two weeks both front signal bulbs blew out (about a week apart - so I dont think there's a connection). When I went to replace them - I looked up tha part number which is listed as 4157NALL. I went and bought those - only to find that a standard 1168 bulb is actually whats used. I pulled the bulb out - and there it was. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-17-04, 08:14 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Confusion on daytime running lights

Originally posted by 177mph
In the last two weeks both front signal bulbs blew out (about a week apart - so I dont think there's a connection). When I went to replace them - I looked up tha part number which is listed as 4157NALL. I went and bought those - only to find that a standard 1168 bulb is actually whats used. I pulled the bulb out - and there it was. Anyone else have this problem?
nahhh, had my dealer do it for me in 10 minutes. ask ur dealer what bulb they replace em with cuz they have a ready bulb anytime a gx comes in to replace a busted running light
Old 08-17-04, 01:44 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Problem is - I cant get to the dealer for the next two weeks. Two weeks without blinkers is tough.
Old 08-18-04, 05:30 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the same thing when I swapped bulbs. I changed bulbs to clear (illegal) with some I had already in the garage to see what it looked like. When I went to change back, and was looking for SIlverstar's, I found the different numbered bulbs. Kind of figured they had the wrong number published, but I believe the owners manual has the same thing. Just put in some long life bulbs like you took out and you'll be fine.
Old 08-20-04, 10:17 AM
cmoore1353
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I have had this problem as well. Mine is with the left turn signal. I have had mine replaced twice...kind of odd. I have had many cars and never had this problem. They say because it is also used as daytime running lights, that's why it keeps going out. Not good enough for me. When one goes out I have to take it into the dealer. What makes them think I want to keep running out there for this? Something is not right.
Old 08-22-04, 04:17 PM
CT1
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem. The first time I went to a local auto parts store and gave them the bulb part number from the Lexus book. Wrong bulb. The part number is wrong. After bringing in the bulb they matched it. Three weeks later the same bulb went out. This time I went to the Lexus dealership. The tech explained that Lexus has had a problem with the bulbs burning out on the GX. Their solution... keep replacing them.
Old 08-22-04, 07:17 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

this is one reason that i don't like about the gx, is the turn signal/DRL!! but otherwise, it's a great SUV!!
Old 08-23-04, 08:32 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Since they seem to burn out so often - I've decided to leave off the engine cladding under the hood. The one ppiece that goes across the front area and the left hand side piece (both black). Anyone see a potential problem with this? I thinki they are just cosmetic....
Old 08-25-04, 07:15 PM
LexusTech
Rookie

The DRL function can be electronically bypassed by the way. It has to be done at the dealer unless you know someone with a Lexus scantool (Vetronix).

IMO it was retarded of Lexus to use a turn signal bulb as a DRL,they're not designed for constant use.
Old 08-26-04, 06:36 AM
177mph
Pole Position

So - I can ask a Lexus service person to disable my DRL's? Didn't know that. Nice. I personally disagree with the concept of DRL's - but I didnt mind the GX's since they were yellow. Cars that run with their headlights on all the time make it tougher on us motorcyclists. That's one of the few things bikers had to distinguish us - the headlights on in the daytime.
Old 08-27-04, 12:28 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Wonderful, I hope my 4Runner does not have this bulb crisis
Old 08-28-04, 06:17 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LexusTech
The DRL function can be electronically bypassed by the way. It has to be done at the dealer unless you know someone with a Lexus scantool (Vetronix).

IMO it was retarded of Lexus to use a turn signal bulb as a DRL,they're not designed for constant use.
I think it's a great idea. Cause it's so bright and noticable during the day.
Old 09-15-04, 12:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a 2003 4Runner, 30,000 miles, never had the turning signal/DRL bulbs go out yet how many miles do you guys have?

Maybe you could just turn your headlights on all day, which turns off the DRL's. but then your headlights might burn out faster... i don't know
Old 09-15-04, 03:56 PM
LexusTech
Rookie

Originally posted by pbm317
i have a 2003 4Runner, 30,000 miles, never had the turning signal/DRL bulbs go out yet how many miles do you guys have?

Maybe you could just turn your headlights on all day, which turns off the DRL's. but then your headlights might burn out faster... i don't know
I've replaced GX signal bulbs that had under 30K miles.
Old 09-28-04, 01:39 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same here

I had the same thing happen and spent about a week looking for the NALL bulbs - which stand for amber long-life. Anyway turned out they were the regular type of bulbs, and after the dealer replaced them Sylvania told me they would've just sent me new ones under warranty - (they shoudn't have burned out so quickly) My other one (pass. side) went last week (about 8 months apart). Funny but in 9 years of owning my Explorer I don't ever remember replacing a bulb. I just hope that the GX isn't plagued with the issue that the Chevy Trailblazer GMC Envoys have with their lighting systems.... ever see them on the road - guarneteed 1 of 3 will have one light or another burned out on it. My bro-in-law has one same time I got my GX, going thru bulbs like crazy.

Quick Reply: Confusion on daytime running lights