IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

illuminated scuff plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 10:12 PM
single sho
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a post on the Lexus Owners Club/UK group on the complete install for the illuminated scuff plates.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...howtopic=5258&

Single shot
Old 05-26-04, 01:31 PM
single sho
Driver

Got a call from Collin @ Carson this afternoon. Looks like $269.00 plus shipping ($11.00 to Oregon). He was very helpful and said he'd pipe me an e-mail when the product is shipped from where ever it's coming (forgot to ask). BUT, they are ordered and looks like up to 6 weeks before I receive them(hate those long waits).

Again, thanks for the Carson info. They got back to me in less than a day with a price.

Single shot
Old 05-27-04, 02:51 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

hehes, congrats.
so what other color besides blue u've got in mind?
Old 05-27-04, 04:05 PM
single sho
Driver

As "played out" as the blue maybe, I still like it. I'll have to wait and see how it's all put together to see if the color can even be changed. I've been really hesitant to do anything with this car as far as upgrades. I've toyed with mulitple different ideas, but they all felt like it was taking away from the overall class of the vehicle. I might add that this is my first step into a luxury class vehicle. So the beauty and elegance is still going hand in hand with the price I paid. I imagine over the next year or so I will have gotten over the sticker shock. At that time I will be checking into changing the rear bumper for a dual exhaust style, then having a custom exhaust installed on it. I've seen several on the UK Lexus owners club gallery and like the look.

Anyway, I may not like the look of the scuff plates at all when I get them. Hate to gum the car up with cheeze upgrades.

I was thinking if I don't like them, I'd just find a place in the trunk or engine compartment (or both for the matter) and mount them there. Or just sell them for a loss

single shot
Old 06-29-04, 09:51 AM
princess4
Rookie

have you received these yet?
Old 06-29-04, 12:22 PM
single sho
Driver

sadly enough, not yet. I should receive them today or tomorrow according to UPS. I will post pics when they get installed.

The past few weeks have been like christmas for me though, getting ready for hunting season always gets the boxes coming from UPS. Some days, I'll just sit on the porch waiting for the "Brown santa" truck to pull up. The scuff plates are just a bonus to the other stuff.

Occording to the install instructions on the other web site, the wiring will be run up the inside of the door jam, under the carpet to the fuse panel. I think I will check into fishing the wires up the inside of the body to the door plunger button the runs the dome light and red door panel light. That should save drilling holes and messing with the fuse panel all together. If it needs a fuse, I'll just incorporate some inline fuses.

Again, I'll post pic when I'm finished with the install of the scuff plates.

single shot

Last edited by single sho; 10-16-04 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-29-04, 01:04 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by single sho

In the mean time I've installed 4 curb rubber and some wide, low profile 13 inch wheels. I had to use chevy luv rotors to have the rims clear them. The wire wheels look sharp. I've also installed a brushgaurd that came off a toyota truck, this helped in the install of the 6 KC highlighters I've been trying to install. It was a brushgaurd or a light bar for the roof, I think I made the right choice. I also found some Yosimity Sam mud flaps at the junk yard that easly trimmed down to fit. These were a real bonus because they also had the chrome woman already on them. Next week I'll be installing my CB and the 10 ft. buggy wip antanea. I did some measuring yesterday it should fit almost just perfect running from the brushgaurd to the radio antanea. I found some 1/4 inch chain that I will secure the top of the buggy wip to the OEM antanea.
Huh?
Old 06-29-04, 01:13 PM
princess4
Rookie

i hope he is talking about his huntin' vehicle
Old 06-29-04, 10:02 PM
single sho
Driver

I was joking... I work with a bunch of hick's. So it humors me to tell them the same thing.

I did get the scuff plates ths afternoon. I will try and install them tomorrow, time permitting. The quality of the plates appear to be okay, I'm not overly impressed with strip wiring. It appears that these wires will be pinched under the edging that clamps the carpet to the door jam. I will be unable to alter the wiring like I wanted due to the balist type starter that is included. The instructions are all small black and white pictures that only have the color of wires that are to be connected to written. It appears simple enough. I'm hoping that the black edging that are on the OEM scuff plates will fit these. Currently there is only a thin strip of cushion on each end about 15 cm long. Otherwise these will not look as finished as the OEM ones.

I'm not overly familiar with the type of lighting that these are utilizing. I have a buddy of mine that laminated this stuff into a snowboard, it was a pinkish red color (rather ugly), but it was the only color he could get his hands on at the time. It is a flexible sheet of flouresent material that's about 1mm thick. I have seen the stuff on custom motorcycle fenders. A skilled person(unlike myself) with a little time and money could do some pretty trick customizing with it.

I'll get some pictures of these prior to installation so you folks can see what they look like from both the top and bottom.

single shot.
Old 06-30-04, 03:53 PM
single sho
Driver

The plates have been installed.

The OEM scuff plates have three mushroom style clips that simply pop up by hand.

The inside carpet trim has three tabs in the middle region and one tab on each end securing it to the kick panel and the "B" pillar trim. The kick panel tab WOULD NOT come loose, so I had to remove the carpet trim and the kick panel in one chunk. After removal, the kick panel will come loose easily. Both sides are exactly the same, so my instructions will be of only one side, but it will apply to both (except the wire colors are different.

The wiring will utilize the wire loom the comes in from the middle/front of the door jam. This wire loom will enter just inside the kick panel and split into two different white pin connectors(one being larger than the other). Both plugs will have one wire that we are interested in using.

Driver side:
New plate black wire connects to the red-green wire (large plug)
New plate red wire connects to the blue-black wire (small plug)

Passenger side:
New plate black wire connects to the red-white wire (large plug)
New plate red wire connects to the blue-yellow wire (small plug)

The kit includes those cheesie knife connectors that pierce the insulation and makes wiring simple. I prefer to remove the pin from the connector and solder the the new wire to it. Personal preferece, to each their own..... I imaging since this is inside the car, those knife connectors would be just fine. I just think they look lazy and they take up a tremendous amount of room, plus there is no personal satifaction doing it the easy way.

The installation was straight forward. The instructions SUCK as far as I'm concerend. The plates look flipping cool (blue and all). The padding that surrounds the plate isn't cut perfect, but not off enough to worry about. There is a really faint buzz/whine that is emitted when the lights are illuminated. An awe-struck individual will probably never notice it. The strip wire that comes off the plate to just inside the car is a problem waiting to happen. It is pinched between the body seams and the rubber door seal. Providing nobody stomps on it right in that exact spot, there should never be an issue. But I have a kid, and she has a way of hitting the wrong spots.

I've got several pictures I will post this evening of the plates, top side and underside and the drivers side wiring.

Single shot
Old 06-30-04, 09:42 PM
single sho
Driver

under side of both the new plate and the old plate. Note, the three shroom style connectors on the old plate (bottom)
Attached Thumbnails illuminated scuff plates-dcp_1586a.jpg  

Last edited by single sho; 06-30-04 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 09:45 PM
single sho
Driver

new plate with all hardware. Ballist type starter on top left and wiring.
Attached Thumbnails illuminated scuff plates-dcp_1588a.jpg  

Last edited by single sho; 06-30-04 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 09:56 PM
single sho
Driver

black wire being soldered onto the red-white pin wire off the large plug
Attached Thumbnails illuminated scuff plates-dcp_1590a.jpg  

Last edited by single sho; 06-30-04 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 10:02 PM
single sho
Driver

work area.. large white plug free, small plug just above and to right
Attached Thumbnails illuminated scuff plates-dcp_1589a.jpg  

Last edited by single sho; 06-30-04 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 10:05 PM
single sho
Driver

large white plug lower left, smaller white plug obscured behind wiring harness. Ballist starter double sided taped infront of fancy pink colored box (whatever that would be). Red and Black wires over the top of the harness headed back towards the door.

This is the finished wiring. Although you can't see it, both wires are soldered onto the pins and secured back into the connector plugs.
Attached Thumbnails illuminated scuff plates-dcp_1591a.jpg  

Last edited by single sho; 06-30-04 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: illuminated scuff plates