Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-01, 04:15 PM
dj_kow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo

does greddy make turbo kits for sc3's? wut r some good brands of turbos for sc3's?
Old 12-05-01, 06:38 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope Greeeeedy doesn't make kits for our cars

Their turbos are compatible with the manifolds of the various kit-makers for the SC300 cars

There's Toyomoto, Sound Performance, Powerhouse Racing, F-max, and several others

Toyomoto is touted to be the best, but they are also the most expensive... I'm sure one of the Toyomoto-kit owners will come put the phone number and website up here for you Toyomoto will work with you to customize your kit if the Stage I or Stage 1.5 is not enough for you

Sound Performance can strut their stuff as making the fastest kits, since their SP63 kit on a SupraTT ran 9s...

I'm not sure about PHR's kit, but they own the fastest unibody Supra in the world... makes 1200rwhp... they also do the SupraTT motor and transmission swap for a price...

F-max makes the affordable kit; albeit the manifold from what I've seen is kinda crappy Their turbo is the same brand as the Toyomoto and like Toyomoto they work with you to pick your components if the stock setup is not enough (like a bigger turbo, etc)... their $4800 kit also comes with a FMIC... it wouldn't be beyond craziness to buy the Toyomoto manifold, pick a turbo, then buy everything else from F-max; which is what i want to do...
Old 12-05-01, 07:01 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: turbo

Originally posted by dj_kow
does greddy make turbo kits for sc3's? wut r some good brands of turbos for sc3's?
SC300 has the same motor as the non-turbo version of the Supra. Actually, the SC300 is a coupe version of the Supra in case you don't know. A lot of the aftermarket parts for the Supra will fit the SC300. Keep that in mind. It also goes for the turbo kits, suspension, and wheels.
Old 12-05-01, 07:15 AM
dj_kow
Lead Lap

thx for the help every1
Old 12-05-01, 10:23 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

well everything in the turbokits EXCEPT for the manifold will work

different bolt pattern
Old 12-24-01, 12:43 PM
Rob_O
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bean
well everything in the turbokits EXCEPT for the manifold will work

different bolt pattern
Forgive me if I'm being dense (newbie-itis) but the bolt pattern at the cylinder head is different and the manifold for the 2JZ-GTE will not bolt up to the 2GZ-GE head?

I guess that would blow out any chance of doing the turbo conversion using a set of stock twins that have been relegated to the parts shelf from being upgraded

doh doh doh doh doh doh doh doh!

Rob_O

Last edited by Rob_O; 12-24-01 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-25-01, 05:53 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

nope, but a GTE head WILL work on the GE block...

not sure what compression level it will give, you'd prolly need a different head gasket to lower it down to a SupraTT's 8.5:1

but no, the TT manifolds of any kind will not bolt up to a 2jZ-GE motor... you have to do the head swap
Old 12-25-01, 06:34 PM
Rob_O
Rookie

Originally posted by Bean
nope, but a GTE head WILL work on the GE block...
Sounds like an awful expensive and difficult way to save a few hundred bucks on the cost of the manifold. I think I will pass

EDIT: I just found/compared pics of the exhaust flange on both heads... Not even close to the same!

Rob_O

Last edited by Rob_O; 12-25-01 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-26-01, 06:09 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

buy a toyomoto turbo kit and be happy for a long time..... Jeff
Old 12-26-01, 01:07 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah follow Jeff's advice.

toyomoto's manifold is better than OEM anyway
And thats saying something when its Toyota OEM that you're comparing too hehehe
Old 12-26-01, 03:44 PM
Rob_O
Rookie

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
buy a toyomoto turbo kit and be happy for a long time..... Jeff
You may be right... but I'm the kind of stubborn, machocistic bastard that likes to do things my own way so I think I'm gonna roll my own

I am not, however, too "smart" to follow the path others have blazed for me. I have found an incredible amount of knowledge on this board and do appreciate the number of quality posts. I have seen a lot of redundant questions so I'm trying to spend more time reading and less time typing to find the information I need and if I ask a question you think has been answered before I must have overlooked it.

For now, I'm going to go back to quietly lurking and hopefully someone will answer my remaining question here (question #2)

Again, thanks for the bandwidth

Rob_O

Last edited by Rob_O; 12-27-01 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-27-01, 04:35 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

rob-o what do you mean by roll on your own..?...and what was the 2nd question you had..ill be happy to answer it....just ask...Jeff
Old 12-27-01, 08:05 AM
Rob_O
Rookie

rob-o what do you mean by roll on your own..?...and what was the 2nd question you had..ill be happy to answer it....just ask...Jeff
Roll my own = take the Toyomoto manifold with a turbo of my choosing, weld up some customer intercooler pipes with fittings for the auxillary injectors, add some timing retard to keep things from getting too hot and smoke (mustangs, camaros or whatever else wants to play)

As for the other question, that had to do with the Supra rear diff. I had linked the "here" in my previous post to another thread, I've hilighted it so it'll be easier to follow

Rob_O
Old 12-27-01, 10:50 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

so your gonna butcher it huh...lol.....the auto tt rear will fit in a 5spd with modification to the drive shaft..i dont know exactly what and dont know if it will work on the auto>?
Old 12-27-01, 11:55 AM
Rob_O
Rookie

so your gonna butcher it huh...lol.....
As long as I have my BFH within reach nothing is impossible

the auto tt rear will fit in a 5spd with modification to the drive shaft..i dont know exactly what and dont know if it will work on the auto>?
The post I read said I only need to change out the driveshaft flange to get the A/T Supra diff to bolt in. Sure wish someone could tell me why I would want to

Rob_O

Quick Reply: turbo