RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Faint "Clunking" noise when car downshifts

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-03, 10:57 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint "Clunking" noise when car downshifts

Does anyone with a 330 hear/feel a very faint clunking noise when the car downshifts? Is this normal or should I be worried about this? It IS getting rather cold in Chicago, but I don't know if this is a contributing factor or not. Thanks.
Old 11-30-03, 11:37 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Are you downshifting manually (shifter from 5 to 4) or when the tranny downshifts itself? Both ways on mine produces no clunking noise.

The only gripe I have is when following slow drivers at an intersection, the tranny is very finicky; you can feel it wants more power and if it doesn't get it, upshifts very hard.

Other than that, I LOVE this SUV!
Old 12-01-03, 06:28 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

When the car downshifts itself, it produces a faint, but audible, clunk. It doesn't seem to be coming from the engine - it sounds more like it's coming from the bottom of the car. Would the viscous coupling cause this?
Old 12-01-03, 08:48 AM
Arnie72
Driver School Candidate

I have the same sound your refering to. No problem upshifting but downshifting does sometime clunk when it drops to 1st gear. Its on my list for my next service.
Old 12-01-03, 11:39 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Please keep me posted on your experience at the dealer regarding this issue! Thanks!
Old 12-05-03, 08:10 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

that is a real problem. you should print out this page and show it to ur lexus dealer. at least not very many have it, unlike the gx. we have a clunk but it is when the car is on a stop position and then it feels like u got rear ended.
Old 12-06-03, 04:34 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm noticing the same faint clunking, or thumping noise. Mine sounds like it is coming from the trans area or directly under the center console storage bin. I can duplicate the noise by lightly taping the gas on an off. With every tap I will hear that faint thump. Mine is a FWD model.
Old 12-06-03, 06:43 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

That is EXACTLY what I am hearing. 100%. Is this a normal sound?
Old 12-06-03, 07:40 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally posted by cyboriax
That is EXACTLY what I am hearing. 100%. Is this a normal sound?
I don't think it is normal since I never noticed that sound when the car was brand new. It was only after a few months of ownership when that sound came audible.
Old 12-06-03, 07:59 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Did you do anything about it yet? If so, what did the dealer say?
Old 12-06-03, 01:15 PM
ebenfield
Driver School Candidate

I have the same 'popping/clunking' sound when slowing down. I normally hear it around 30 mph. I took it to the dealer and was told it was operating normally. The transmission seems to never know when to shift and what gear to shift to. The software upgrade has been done and the problem only seems to worsen. The service consultant told me there was nothing else they could do. He said that Lexus knows they have a problem but don't have a fix for it yet. When I asked what was I supposed to do he suggested I contact Lexus which I most certainly am going to do.
Old 12-08-03, 05:18 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. I'll do it on my next service. I don't really have any confidence they can fix or even know what the problem is though. It doesn't affect the operation of the car, but it definately is not normal since I didn't have it in the begining. It seems like with the RX330 Lexus doesn't really know how to fix most of the little bugs yet.
Old 12-10-03, 09:04 PM
eber330
Driver School Candidate

Angry RE: Faint "Clunking" noise when car downshifts

I just brought my RX330 for the 5K service and reported the same clunking sound when the transmission downshifts (say from 30 to 20 mph) and the dealer admits that there is a sound but categorically labels it as "normal". I think everyone who doesn't think that a $40,000 plus car should make such a sloppy noise should call Lexus customer service (at 1-800-255-3987 prompt #4) and ask for Saul (I don't remember his last name but there shouldn't be that many Saul's) and report the problem to him--he's the person I talked to. Lexus doesn't think that there's a problem with the transmission clunk because people aren't complaining to the corporate office!
Old 12-10-03, 10:50 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know whether the RX300 had the same clunking issue? If not, why did they change to a transmission that clunked? I can't possibly imagine that the clunking noise was not brought up during R&D!
Old 12-11-03, 08:14 AM
HowieNJ
Rookie

Just goes to show you and I am sure everyone heard it a milion times.

You are always taking a chance by buying a new model in its first production year.

Even a company as good as Lexus can't handle the problems that always exist in the beginning.
Hopefully they will all turn out to be minor and fixes will become available.

As much as I like the RX330 and considered trading up, I think I made the right choice by waiting and am still enjoying the RX300 that was produced at the end of its runs well after there were solutions to all the initial problems.

Quick Reply: Faint "Clunking" noise when car downshifts