Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official 2007 Camry pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 06:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default And Even More Info With Pics

America's best-selling car is redesigned for 2007, getting new styling, more power and features, and, for the first time, a gas/electric hybrid model. Camry retains the same overall length as the 2002-2006 version, but adds 2.2 inches to wheelbase and cuts height by nearly an inch. Base-model curb weight is up some 175 lb. New features include standard instead of optional curtain side airbags. The line consists of a price-leader CE trim level, volume LE, sporty SE, and luxury XLE. All come with a 158-hp 2.4-liter 4-cyl engine and a 5-speed manual transmission or a 5-speed automtic. LE, SE, and XLE also offer V6 versions with a 268-hp 3.5-liter and a 6-speed automatic transmission. Camry's previous most-powerful V6 had 210 hp and used a 5-speed automatic.

Both '07 automatics include a manual shift gate. The Hybrid teams a special 2.4-liter 4-cyl gas engine with a battery-powered electric motor for 192 net hp. It teams with a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) providing near-infinite drive ratios. Like Toyota's smaller Prius hybrid, Camry's automatically drives on either or both power sources, depending on conditions, and requires no plug-in charging. Antilock 4-wheel disc brakes are standard for all models. So are front torso side airbags, head-protecting curtain side airbags, and, for the first time, a driver's knee airbag.

The Hybrid adds antiskid/traction control that's available for other models. SEs come with 17-inch wheels, the other models with 16s. SEs also have a firmer suspension, and specific trim inside and out. The Hybrid also has unique interior and exterior trim. A split folding rear seat is standard except on SE and Hybrid, which have a fixed seat with center pass-through. Leather upholstery is included on the V6 XLE, available for the 4-cyl XLE and the SE. A navigation system with CD changer and wireless cell-phone link is optional for SE and XLE, as are heated seats. A new-to-Camry keyless-entry/starting system is included on Hybrid and available for V6 XLE.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Articl...ct/sneakpeeks/
Old 12-03-05, 07:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Old 12-03-05, 07:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Default Last piece of info for now

Last piece of info for now...

Toyota to Introduce All-New Camry for 2007

Justin Couture: 11/25/2005
Article Tools

View Photo Gallery

Camry to Go Way Upscale in Performance and Refinement

The news is out! One of North America's favourite family sedans is about to be significantly updated, according to several major
The news is out! One of North America's favourite family sedans is about to be significantly updated.
websites. Japanese website Auto Gallery Net reports having correct factual information and several undisguised images of the upcoming Toyota Camry. U.S.-based website Edmunds.com, in its www.insideline.com division, amongst other sites, is also featuring the findings on Toyota's staple family-mover.

The biggest change to the Camry comes from its exterior styling. The anonymous looking styling has been injected with a dose of 'Vibrant Clarity', Toyota-speak for their new design language. Canadians, and later Europe and America were introduced to Vibrant Clarity
To prevent overlapping the new Camry with its larger sibling, the Avalon, Toyota's engineers have essentially kept the Camry's size constant.
with the all-new Yaris subcompact; the upcoming RAV-4 and, according to these photos, the new Camry will also possess fresh styling trademarks in an attempt to shed its staid, boring image.

To prevent overlapping the new Camry with its larger sibling, the Avalon, Toyota's engineers have essentially kept the Camry's size constant. The car keeps its length at 4,815 mm (189.6 inches), but the wheelbase has grown by 55 mm (2.16 inches) to 2,775 mm (109.25 inches). Front and rear track have increased by approximately 30 mm (1.18 inches) providing a better stance on the road, while the overall height has dropped by 20 mm (0.78 inches). As such, the new Camry is sleeker, and more aerodynamic: Auto Gallery claims that the new Camry has a coefficient of drag rating of just 0.28 Cd.

By shifting around the layout, while keeping the car the same, Toyota has improved the Camry's packaging: the site claims that the critical
By shifting around the layout, while keeping the car the same, Toyota has improved the Camry's packaging allowing for a roomier cabin.
increase in wheelbase allows for a roomier cabin, particularly for those riding in back. Meanwhile, cargo capacity has been pegged at more than 500 litres (17.65 + cu ft), with numerous large-sized cubbies scattered throughout the cabin - just the right size for hauling an active family's belongings, while 40/20/40 split folding rear seats improve on the industry standard 60/40 split.

As with most modern cars, unexpected high-end luxuries are starting to filter into the equipment list. The Camry's top-spec trim line includes such amenities as a navigation system with 5-inch LCD display, BOSE premium audio system, rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlamps, power rear sunshade, heated and ventilated seats, and triple-zone climate control. Like
The Camry's top-spec trim line includes such amenities as a navigation system with 5-inch LCD display, BOSE premium audio system, rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlamps, power rear sunshade, heated and ventilated seats, and triple-zone climate control.
the Avalon, the Camry is also expected to experience a great boost in interior quality, featuring Lexus-like soft-touch plastics, high-quality leather and glossy wood.

The new Camry is powered by a revised version of Toyota's 2.4-litre inline-four in base trim. Codenamed 2AZ-FE, this inline-four generates 167 horses and 165 lb-ft of torque, a decent improvement from the current car's 158 horsepower and 163 lb-ft. It is routed through the front wheels via a new five-speed automatic gearbox. Interestingly, most Japanese vehicles, such as the Acura TSX and Honda Civic, are available with optional all-wheel drive in their home markets, and the Camry is no exception. The electronically-controlled AWD system distributes power equally for improved grip, and might actually be a path Toyota Canada could consider, given that AWD is growing in popularity for its performance and safety benefits.

The information found on the Japanese webpage doesn't speak about any V6s, as large-displacement gasoline engines aren't
Toyota hopes to improve the Camry's dynamics by fettling with the suspension, opting for lightweight metals to reduce unsprung weight.
favoured in Japan's home market due to the cost of fuel and high tax rates, however, for us North Americans, expect a detuned version of the 3.5-litre V6 applied to the Avalon and Lexus IS 350. A hybrid version, which has long been rumoured, should finally appear with this new model, just in time to go head to head with Nissan's upcoming Altima Hybrid - that will just happen to use Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive components.

Toyota hopes to improve the Camry's dynamics by fettling with the suspension, opting for lightweight metals
In Japan, the Camry will come standard with no less than eight airbags.
to reduce unsprung weight. Revised dampers and springs in addition to recalibrated power steering and wider front and rear tracks should add a dose of excitement, bringing it closer to driver-favourites such as the Honda Accord, Mazda6 and Ford Fusion. Likewise, the car's ride quality has not been neglected: the site states that these changes have improved comfort "substantially".

In terms of its safety, Toyota has taken this topic extremely seriously. In Japan, the Camry will come standard with no less than eight airbags including the new dual-chamber airbag on the passenger's side, side curtain airbags and knee-bolster airbags.

Braking is conducted through 16-inch discs in front and 15-inch discs in back, aided by ABS and brakeforce distribution.
The 2007 model-year Camry is expected to make its world debut in Detroit this January.
Upper-level Camrys will also feature VSC and TRC stability and traction control systems respectively.

Given the factual information and detail presented, the new Camry is a pretty convincing case for Toyota's midsize family sedan. The Japanese variant goes on sale January 30th, with a price tag that runs between 2.5 and 3.5 million Yen ($24,600 to $34,000 CAD). The 2007 model-year Camry is expected to make its world debut at this year's North American International Auto Show in Detroit this January. Production will take place across the globe, but our local-markets will receive Camrys built in Kentucky, U.S.A.
Old 12-03-05, 07:43 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

One thing i've learned from past experiences is that, you should never judge a car by the pictures. But right now, i think the car looks a lot more luxurious and a bit more aggressive.
Old 12-03-05, 07:57 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that it's important to Camry buyers, but if Car & Driver can get Avalon to run from 0 to 60mph in 6 seconds flat, the Camry will definitely be a sub-6-second (5.7s maybe?) car with less weight and one more gear under C&D's hand.

The official pics look good. The white stripes in the taillights are wedged, rather than just horizontal like in the pic previously released by auto-g.jp. Overall a great-looking new Camry.
Old 12-03-05, 08:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
The line consists of a price-leader CE trim level, volume LE, sporty SE, and luxury XLE. All come with a 158-hp 2.4-liter 4-cyl engine and a 5-speed manual transmission or a 5-speed automtic. LE, SE, and XLE also offer V6 versions with a 268-hp 3.5-liter and a 6-speed automatic transmission. Camry's previous most-powerful V6 had 210 hp and used a 5-speed automatic.
I noticed that this bit of "158hp" info is wrong (should be 167hp), which makes me wonder if the 6-speed transmission for the V6 info is correct. Hard to believe the Camry gets a 6-speed when the Avalon has only a 5-speed.
Old 12-03-05, 08:12 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Yeah I had to question that as well, but in the old Camry thread, I posted something about the workers who work at the Georgetown Camry Factory that have seen the vehicle and recieved some info on the vehicle and they have said the 3.5L will be mated to a 6-speed. We shall see what happens as things can change.

If Toyota will never add a 6-speed manual to any of its higher powered models while all of its main competitors do, they better atleast give me a 6-speed Auto. :
Old 12-03-05, 08:33 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Both '07 automatics include a manual shift gate. The Hybrid teams a special 2.4-liter 4-cyl gas engine with a battery-powered electric motor for 192 net hp.
Good move. Stick to I-4 hybrids for the Toyota brand and avoid high-priced V-6 hybrids like the Accord Hybrid. People want the best fuel economy they can get in mainstream hybrids. Looking forward to seeing the EPA and real-world mileage figures of the Camry Hybrid soon.
Old 12-03-05, 08:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I had to question that as well, but in the old Camry thread, I posted something about the workers who work at the Georgetown Camry Factory that have seen the vehicle and recieved some info on the vehicle and they have said the 3.5L will be mated to a 6-speed. We shall see what happens as things can change.

If Toyota will never add a 6-speed manual to any of its higher powered models while all of its main competitors do, they better atleast give me a 6-speed Auto. :
Haha...that kind of makes sense now. If that's the case, they'll probably upgrade the Avalon soon too.

BTW, do you have a link to your second article, magneto112?
Old 12-03-05, 08:38 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im thinking in that pic it has to be an XLE version, hope they offer a bigger wheel choice for that version. needs fog lamps to i think, maybe its incorporated in the headlamps like on the Infiniti G. im interested to see what the SE trim would look like. love dark colors and white, that green doesnt do it for me. maybe on a ES but not a camry
Old 12-03-05, 09:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Not that it's important to Camry buyers, but if Car & Driver can get Avalon to run from 0 to 60mph in 6 seconds flat, the Camry will definitely be a sub-6-second (5.7s maybe?) car with less weight and one more gear under C&D's hand.

The official pics look good. The white stripes in the taillights are wedged, rather than just horizontal like in the pic previously released by auto-g.jp. Overall a great-looking new Camry.
i doubt ppl will be able to call camry boring anymore :-)... It should be around 100lbs lighter than Avalon, which doesnt mean much but it might matter...
Old 12-03-05, 09:29 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
BTW, do you have a link to your second article, magneto112?
Never mind... I've Google'd it.
http://www.carpages.ca/go/autonews/1..._for_2007.aspx

A near-18 cu. ft. of cargo space is very good for a mid-size sedan! The Camry is getting more luxurious while improving its practicality at the same time. Very impressive!
Old 12-04-05, 02:49 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Let me clarify, I mean "cheap" relative to the interior of the Lexus ES330. The Lexus still have better interior material/quality//fit/finish than the Avalon.
Certainly I would agree the Avalon has a class leading interior, but still not Lexus like when examined in detail.
Well I agree in that regard. But I think Toyota may have done it on purpose, as to not have too much overlap between the two cars. Granted, the new ES is coming soon, but it seems Toyota wants clear differentiation between their Toyota and Lexus cars, and that makes sense.

Personally, I found the Avalon's interior to be close to the ES, and the new ES likely will widen this gap.

It wouldn't make sense for a Toyota model to have a Lexus interior after all, would it
Old 12-04-05, 08:17 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

I like it...now let's play "Pimp My Camry"

I'd so rock this....

Old 12-04-05, 09:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Seize