Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 03:19 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The current LWB is the nightfall edition with options added. I think a better comparison is 2016 LWB @ $77k I think. The SWB remained unchanged between 2016 and 2017.

And I don't take great offense; I'm just the canary in the coal mine. Like I said, let them experience the RCF and GSF pricing mistake all over again.
Old 02-23-17, 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
And I don't take great offense; I'm just the canary in the coal mine. Like I said, let them experience the RCF and GSF pricing mistake all over again.
So how many RCF ors GSF sales units per year would be successful in your opinion?
Old 02-23-17, 03:45 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing. The only people here taking offense are those that don't like me saying it's too expensive.

I'll say it again, as a person who just purchased a brand new LS and might be a prospective buyer of one, the prices people are floating are just too much.

If you don't like that I think it's too much, I don't care. Tough.
Old 02-23-17, 04:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'll say it again, as a person who just purchased a brand new LS and might be a prospective buyer of one, the prices people are floating are just too much.

If you don't like that I think it's too much, I don't care. Tough.
Right on....but you keep on going on about it. Actions speak louder than words, don't buy the new LS500
Old 02-23-17, 04:15 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well that won't be a problem as I don't think many people will at $85k-$90k.
Old 02-23-17, 04:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well that won't be a problem as I don't think many people will at $85k-$90k.
Fine. and I think there will be lots and lots of people who will buy it. .. So there. Do we need to keep going on about it?
Old 02-23-17, 04:19 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Not really. But if you insist.
Old 02-23-17, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,836 Posts

"He keeps going on and on about it" well, people keep asking him about his opinion lol. It takes two people to carry on a conversation.

I too think $85k+ is too much money, it's funny that you and I are the only actual new LS consumers in this thread yet people keep telling us we have no idea what we're talking about.
Old 02-23-17, 04:47 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
"He keeps going on and on about it" well, people keep asking him about his opinion lol. It takes two people to carry on a conversation.

I too think $85k+ is too much money, it's funny that you and I are the only actual new LS consumers in this thread yet people keep telling us we have no idea what we're talking about.
So the 740i starts at $81500. I didn't realize it was that cheap (relatively lol). The 5LS starting at $85k would make the 7 a bargain (shocker), much less the LS at ~$95k. It isn't wise IMO for Lexus to push the price up by loading the standard LS with options that would drive up the price, like the GSF. Buyers in this bracket like to have their cars their way.
Old 02-23-17, 04:53 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

It's not only that, but hey I do enjoy these discussions. I personally think it's great we have differing opinions and I enjoy trying to parlay these things to see if you can convince me otherwise or visa/versa.

But don't get angry and tell me drive other cars. Rewind a few pages. I was trying to have a lively discussion. I was trying to present my case, so to speak, with opinions and thoughts on why I believe it was too much or why I disagree with you, but as soon as I saw you say go drive a G90 I was like, please, that is the pot is calling the kettle black. I wasn't taking offense to anything up until that point and obviously we couldn't convince each other, which is fine.
Old 02-23-17, 04:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not really. But if you insist.
Awesome.

So I have a question for you. Since you are a LS460 owner. Now I know what you don't like like lack do V8. What do you find appealing about the LS500?
Old 02-23-17, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Personally, I think 80k is the right starting price.
Old 02-23-17, 04:58 PM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
No reason they shouldn't, except that people on here will b**** and say "Lexus has no right to charge those type of prices, they are a Second Tier Luxury Brand!!" And then they hop over to another thread and talk about how Lexus is so much more reliable than the Germans and how they hate it when their snobby buddies act like the Lexus flagship is no where near a German competitor.

I was merely pointing out it is NOT unheard of for an automaker to slap big premiums on each new generation. Which is even more funny for Porsche given that each new generation of 911 pretty much looks like the last, just at 110% scale.
You sir in MY OPINION just summarized everybody making the argument that Lexus is a second tier luxury brand. And I think its just an excuse to justify why Lexus should not be priced the same way the BMW and Benz is priced. We can make this argument because we drive a Lexus and we follow the brand. for any other person that does not follow this cars would rank all three of them on the same scale if at all any car would be rated higher it would be the Benz. i wont be surprised if they even rank a Lexus above BMW. there is no point arguing about price we all know Lexus won't price their car higher than the competitors. We are still in February a lot of things can happen before December a lot of things like the LCF and a V8 LS just like the LS500h to be debuted in Geneva we don't even have a spec yet for that.
Old 02-23-17, 05:03 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not only that, but hey I do enjoy these discussions. I personally think it's great we have differing opinions and I enjoy trying to parlay these things to see if you can convince me otherwise or visa/versa.

But don't get angry and tell me drive other cars. Rewind a few pages. I was trying to have a lively discussion. I was trying to present my case, so to speak, with opinions and thoughts on why I believe it was too much or why I disagree with you, but as soon as I saw you say go drive a G90 I was like, please, that is the pot is calling the kettle black. I wasn't taking offense to anything up until that point and obviously we couldn't convince each other, which is fine.
Understood. I value the opinion of those that have actually bought an LS new, and planning to purchase vehicles at this price level. I've had a Q45, IS, GS, LS and now Audi and Mercedes ( along with several Hondas and Infiniti's). My Audi lease is up in a few months and I have been shopping in this price range. Choices are LS500, A8, S6, E43 and currently leading my choices are the new G30 BMW M550i or the G12 740i. I drove all except the LS, waiting to see. The GS-F was in the running because of the discounts, however, the engine was disappointing compared to the Audis and Bmws. It seems to have very little torque.

Of all the folks that think the Lexus IS not potentially overpriced, how many are planning to buy one new? If not, maybe thinking Lexus can charge whatever they want is pure fantasy/fanboyism.
Old 02-23-17, 05:09 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bogglo
You sir in MY OPINION just summarized everybody making the argument that Lexus is a second tier luxury brand. And I think its just an excuse to justify why Lexus should not be priced the same way the BMW and Benz is priced. We can make this argument because we drive a Lexus and we follow the brand. for any other person that does not follow this cars would rank all three of them on the same scale if at all any car would be rated higher it would be the Benz. i wont be surprised if they even rank a Lexus above BMW. there is no point arguing about price we all know Lexus won't price their car higher than the competitors. We are still in February a lot of things can happen before December a lot of things like the LCF and a V8 LS just like the LS500h to be debuted in Geneva we don't even have a spec yet for that.
All good points. On one hand, thinking Lexus can charge the same as the BMW/Audi/Mercedes flagships might have to do with if you believe it is in the same tier or not.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)