RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

My Apexi N1-X Race Exhaust Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 10:11 AM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My Apexi N1-X Race Exhaust Experience

Raw, guttural, and aggressive deep roar are the words that come to mind as the Sport S+ gauge races past 4000 rpm and on toward its redline. Perhaps Japan’s interpretation of a more classic V8 American muscle car sound. Although, Le Mans GT class V8 sounds also come to mind. Pinning the throttle while blasting through an underpass at WOT makes you wonder if the bridge might just not be able to take it and collapse behind you in a cloud of dust. Those unfortunate enough to have been caught walking through the underpass, might have nightmares for the rest of their lives about a beast from Japan coming to get them. The fortunate few will soon realize though, that they have witnessed something special and unique.

Bitter sweet moments though, as I find myself contemplating switching to the resonated version of the mid pipe. If this car was my weekend only fun car I would definitely keep the setup. Alas, this is my daily commuter and I think the beast might need to be tamed.

I was able to arrange for the install experience to make it on to video. I hope to post some links shortly.

WolfMan

Last edited by WolfManRCF; 02-19-17 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 10:32 AM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Default Apexi on Infrared

Picture of final install result:
Attached Thumbnails My Apexi N1-X Race Exhaust Experience-rcf-apexi.jpg  
Old 02-19-17, 11:34 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Thanks for the review. Sounds like an awesome exhaust (albeit, it might be too loud for every day use).

I sent you a PM. Your response will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-19-17, 05:08 PM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
Raw, guttural, and aggressive deep roar are the words that come to mind as the sport + gauge races past 4000 rpm and on toward its redline. Perhaps Japan’s interpretation of a more classic V8 American muscle car sound. Although, Le Mans GT class V8 sounds also come to mind. Pinning the throttle while blasting through an underpass at WOT makes you wonder if the bridge might just not be able to take it and collapse behind you in a cloud of dust. Those unfortunate enough to have been caught walking through the underpass, might have nightmare for the rest of their lives about a beast from Japan coming to get them. The fortunate few will soon realize though, that they have witnessed something special and unique.

Bitter sweet moments though, as I find myself contemplating switching to the resonated version of the mid pipe. If this car was my weekend only fun car I would definitely keep the setup. Alas, this is my daily commuter and I think the beast might need to be tamed.

I was able to arrange for the install experience to make it on to video. I hope to post some links shortly.

WolfMan
Would like to hear it. From videos I've heard I thought it actually sounded too timid for my taste which certainly doesn't match your description lol
Old 02-21-17, 10:12 AM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Fantastic write up. I look forward to reading more of your post. Thanks for sharing your experience with the exhaust.
Old 02-22-17, 09:39 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Default Install/Sound Video

Here is a link to the YouTube video:

WolfMan
Old 02-22-17, 09:45 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

awesome vid. sounds like it drones bad though.
Old 02-22-17, 10:09 PM
tomsgsf
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had this on my gsf before,the midpipe is verygood,but the muffler will cause huge resonance in cabin which means drone a lot and give up the ability to be quiet even on eco mod. eco mode is as loud as sport mode and drone around 2000rpm, very loud in lower rpm but not loud enough on higher rpm. I want something that is reverse so I went for gthaus.
Old 02-23-17, 07:14 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I heard both the resonated and non-resonated at Apexi North America HQ before making my decision. There's no way I could go any louder than the resonated version.

Coupled with ASC in both sport modes, the thing howls unlike any other V8 I've heard. It's addicting to drive in the mid-RPMs at highway speeds in manual shift mode holding it at 4th/5th gear 70-80mph.

It's the best looking exhaust, imho, especially when you ceramic black it out for the OEM+ W.

Old 02-23-17, 10:52 AM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
awesome vid. sounds like it drones bad though.
There is drone with this exhaust, however, it can be managed. This exhaust forces you to drive the car in a spirited fashion, which gets you out of the dreaded drone range (1 - 2K rpm) quickly and then any drone is gone and the exhaust is just plain pleasantly f-ing loud (if your in that sort of mood). If you lug the engine with this exhaust you will get drone. If your at low rpm (1-2.5K rpm) and you load up the engine you will get drone. At idle there is no drone and the exhaust is very tame. If your driving in normal mode, transmission in automatic, and you learn to apply the throttle in just the right way, the exhaust is hardly there and all is fairly quite and hardly any drone. High gear, low rpm, get on the throttle, and gear doesn't change your in for some heavy drone. For me personally, as I can't stand extended droning, driving the car in this fashion is not an option. Note you can be at 4K rpm and slightly on the throttle the exhaust is hardly there. You pin the throttle though, and all hell brakes loose.

Regarding the video and sound, I think it was difficult to capture the sound accurately. I think part of the problem is that you would need a very high end microphone to capture this frequency spectrum. This exhaust generates a lot of low frequency spectrum and it seems that the microphone is clipping, saturating, and can not accurately reproduce the low frequency specturm at a high sound level.

WolfMan
Old 02-23-17, 02:43 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this same non-resonated system on my RC F and it sounded awesome. I like the OP's description when he says it sounds like a Le Mans GT class V8. I think it sounds very similar to the RC F GT concept. There is drone at lower rpm, but problem is solved if you're staying above 2-2.5k rpm. I kept in in sport+ most of the time to avoid the drone. At full throttle, the RC F sounds like nothing else on the road with this exhaust. I don't recommend this version of the exhaust to anyone who goes on long drives though. I went on a few 150 miles drives and it can get annoying. If your F is not a daily driver then I would recommend the non-resonated version. Also, the titanium tips started to spot & fade after a few months even though I took very good care of them with almost daily wipe downs using microfiber towels and alcohol. I would go with the stainless tips if I had to do it all over again.
Old 02-27-19, 11:37 PM
Raptor061
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
There is drone with this exhaust, however, it can be managed. This exhaust forces you to drive the car in a spirited fashion, which gets you out of the dreaded drone range (1 - 2K rpm) quickly and then any drone is gone and the exhaust is just plain pleasantly f-ing loud (if your in that sort of mood). If you lug the engine with this exhaust you will get drone. If your at low rpm (1-2.5K rpm) and you load up the engine you will get drone. At idle there is no drone and the exhaust is very tame. If your driving in normal mode, transmission in automatic, and you learn to apply the throttle in just the right way, the exhaust is hardly there and all is fairly quite and hardly any drone. High gear, low rpm, get on the throttle, and gear doesn't change your in for some heavy drone. For me personally, as I can't stand extended droning, driving the car in this fashion is not an option. Note you can be at 4K rpm and slightly on the throttle the exhaust is hardly there. You pin the throttle though, and all hell brakes loose.

Regarding the video and sound, I think it was difficult to capture the sound accurately. I think part of the problem is that you would need a very high end microphone to capture this frequency spectrum. This exhaust generates a lot of low frequency spectrum and it seems that the microphone is clipping, saturating, and can not accurately reproduce the low frequency specturm at a high sound level.

WolfMan
I was just gonna purchase the axle back and keep the stock car a resonators....I keep reading some have drone, some can’t tell.... I’m guessing it’s all depends on how sensitive the person is?

Old 02-28-19, 10:48 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor061

I was just gonna purchase the axle back and keep the stock car a resonators....I keep reading some have drone, some can’t tell.... I’m guessing it’s all depends on how sensitive the person is?

Replied to your other thread but yes depends on the sensitivity of the person!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-28-19, 01:19 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Were there any dyno runs with this set up?
airlaird
Old 02-28-19, 02:51 PM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

Awesome write up!!! Video is killer as well. I have this exhaust system, but with the high flow resonated midpipe and lovenit. I would easily rate this exhaust system a solid 10 and highly recommend it.

This new thing lately of people complaining about drone with all type of exhaust is a bit silly to me. As Grant Cardone would say, "don't be a little bitc*"

Quick Reply: My Apexi N1-X Race Exhaust Experience