GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Illuminated door sills installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-16, 09:38 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by capese21
Many Thanks for this guide. It was perfect and took around 40 minutes to do both sides. The Lexus instructions are 25 pages!! Not sure why they say to remove the centre console trim it is not necessary. These are an expensive option here in the uk maybe they make it look complicated to justify the cost!!

Thanks again

Ed
You bet. I was on the Lexus webpage the other day and the sills were selling for over $600
Old 12-04-16, 10:06 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
You bet. I was on the Lexus webpage the other day and the sills were selling for over $600
Imagine if the sills now cost $600, I can't imagine what the dealership would charge to put them in! I bought the sills online for $260 last year and I got a quote for $350 bucks to put them in...so I did it myself and saved lots of $$$
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (10-25-19)
Old 12-06-16, 03:47 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish this could have come up sooner.. I didn't want to deal with it so I had someone install it for me -__- forgot how much it cost, but it definitely wasn't worth because that's a simple installation as opposed to what the instructions were saying.
Old 12-06-16, 06:58 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a really straight forward install and the final product looks awesome.

Thanks for the DIY instructions!
Old 12-06-16, 04:37 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It's "easy" because they're installing them incorrectly.
Old 12-07-16, 01:58 AM
capese21
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I installed mine correctly. Read the Lexus instructions and you will see.

They say remove the centre cluster finish panel & centre console side panel to allow access to the wires. In fact you can easily get access without removing these.

They say remove the wiring harness from the panel when you dont need to as access is enough with it in place. I clipped the wires onto the OEM harness as instructed. It is a neat job and properly done.

Have you actually done this install (I suspect not) & if so what did you do different?

Ed
Old 12-08-16, 07:30 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Do the lights go off when you close the door? If not, it's not installed correctly. Just tapping wires to get power, doesn't mean you're doing it right.

I have done the install, just not on my current car. You need to tap the wires that are powering the dome light.

Lexus install instructions...hmm, yeah we better not trust what the manufacturer is telling us.
Old 12-08-16, 07:41 AM
capese21
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the lights go off when you close the door? If not, it's not installed correctly. Just tapping wires to get power, doesn't mean you're doing it right.

I have done the install, just not on my current car. You need to tap the wires that are powering the dome light.

Lexus install instructions...hmm, yeah we better not trust what the manufacturer is telling us.
The Lexus instuctions show connecting to the footwell lights. The removal of half the dashboard is not required though. All wiring is as shown in the Lexus instrutions!! You obviously haven't done this installation on the 4GS!!
Old 12-08-16, 07:49 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

You didn't answer my question though. Do the lights turn off when the door is closed?

The OP or one of the other installers confirmed that they do not, doing it with your method. Push the rubber **** inside the door frame above the Lexus manufactured sticker. Confirm if the lights turn off as they should when the door is closed. If so, you should email Lexus and tell them their instructions are inaccurate so that they can get the right steps sent out to everyone.
Old 12-08-16, 09:42 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You didn't answer my question though. Do the lights turn off when the door is closed?

The OP or one of the other installers confirmed that they do not, doing it with your method. Push the rubber **** inside the door frame above the Lexus manufactured sticker. Confirm if the lights turn off as they should when the door is closed. If so, you should email Lexus and tell them their instructions are inaccurate so that they can get the right steps sent out to everyone.
I wouldn't say that connecting them to footwell lights is incorrect...my sister has an NX with the illuminated door sills (installed before delivery) and they stay on while driving (they are visible from the inside when doors are closed). I think Lexus might have changed the way to install them so that they are easier to install. What harm does it really do if they stay lit while the door is closed? These sills are LED and wil last longer than the life of the car. Obviously no damage occurs when connected to footwell lights.
NickMayer (10-25-19)
Old 12-08-16, 09:56 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

I too did the install myself and see that the sills are always on. They have been this way for over a year now and I haven't seen any ill affects.
NickMayer (10-25-19)
Old 12-08-16, 10:20 AM
avs20
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Show me an instance where this is going to cause any harm to the vehicle. Tearing the car apart to get to a dome light wire? No thanks. Do the footwell lights go off when you shut the door? They must have installed those incorrectly at the plant.
The amps these illuminated sills draw is so small, there will be no ill effects on anything.
Old 12-08-16, 10:48 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

They don't install these at the plant. They're either installed at port, or by the dealer.

I'm the type of person, if I'm going to spend money on something, I want it done right. I'm all for DIY. I'm actually still really confused why Lexus hasn't made this modification much easier to do. On the RX (in my experience), the plug is there from the factory under the un-lighted sills. Pull up the old sills, connect the plug, snap down the new sills, make sure the dome light is on when you open the door...BOOM....lights. Much much easier.

Last edited by jtrue28; 12-08-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 10:50 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

They don't install these at the plant. They're either installed at port, or by the dealer.
I didn't say they were installed at the plant. But I highly doubt the port or the dealer would install it wrong before delivery.
Old 12-08-16, 11:59 AM
RA051823
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks great!

Quick Reply: Illuminated door sills installed!