LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone ever install a trailer hitch on their LS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 02:47 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Anyone ever install a trailer hitch on their LS?

I mountain bike and I'd prefer to install a trailer hitch bike rack to the car rather than do what I've been doing for the last three years...using a different car to transport my bike (I no longer have that car).

As far as I know they don't sell a hitch for these things, and there doesn't appear to be a lot of room (or frame) under that rear bumper. The trunk won't accommodate a trunk style bike rack either due to the plastic water guard under the rear window (not that I'd want to use a trunk mounted bike rack and ruin my paint).

I figure any hitch setup would require a fair amount of retrofitting, so if anyone's done it I'd be interested in hearing what you did. Did you drill through the trunk? Did you find some frame under there? Do they sell something and I just didn't find it?

Another option I was toying with is making some sort of support that would thread into where the tow hooks go, and then fabricate something that could accommodate a bike. I've seen this online, but never in person.
Old 12-06-16, 01:38 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into this, for the same reason. Would like to use my 1-up rack with my LS.

There is an off the shelf hitch made, I think curt or hidden hitch makes it. Difficultly of install is a 10/10 which means it probably really sucks.

The reason I hesitated was the manual specifically warns against a hitch - even for a bike rack! That might give you warranty trouble.

My solution? I'm getting my wife a GX sometime soon, which will have a hitch.

I didn't have any problem getting my road bike in the trunk, but it's less hassle than a mnt bike to break down and stash there.
Old 12-06-16, 06:56 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

You could fit your road bike in the trunk? I took one look and thought, there's no way I'm fitting my bike in there. I managed to get it into the back seat once, but I don't want to do that again. I'll probably go the tow hook route.
Old 12-06-16, 07:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

No reason (other than warranty), not to tow with an LS. If you ever spend any time in Europe, you'll see these and many other smaller cars towing all sorts of things including "caravans" (RV's). I'm considering getting a hitch for mine so I can pull my 4k lb boat to the lake. Here's a pic:
Old 12-06-16, 09:17 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salesguy
I looked into this, for the same reason. Would like to use my 1-up rack with my LS.

There is an off the shelf hitch made, I think curt or hidden hitch makes it. Difficultly of install is a 10/10 which means it probably really sucks.

The reason I hesitated was the manual specifically warns against a hitch - even for a bike rack! That might give you warranty trouble.

My solution? I'm getting my wife a GX sometime soon, which will have a hitch.

I didn't have any problem getting my road bike in the trunk, but it's less hassle than a mnt bike to break down and stash there.
Easily - remove both wheels though. Had no problem with my ES as well. Mnt bike bars might make it a problem, but a road frame fits just fine, layer in some towels and then the wheels - no problem. A hitch rack like the 1-up is great though. Too bad I have to get my wife a GX or LX in order to use one!

I'm not willing to create potential warranty hassles by installing that curt hitch. It does looks stealth though, but the install looks to be a real PITA. Hitch on my ES was a 3/10 difficulty and it was not all that easy. Used the heck out of it though (including towing). Take that lexus.
Old 12-06-16, 12:22 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salesguy
Easily - remove both wheels though. Had no problem with my ES as well. Mnt bike bars might make it a problem, but a road frame fits just fine, layer in some towels and then the wheels - no problem. A hitch rack like the 1-up is great though. Too bad I have to get my wife a GX or LX in order to use one!

I'm not willing to create potential warranty hassles by installing that curt hitch. It does looks stealth though, but the install looks to be a real PITA. Hitch on my ES was a 3/10 difficulty and it was not all that easy. Used the heck out of it though (including towing). Take that lexus.
The front wheel comes of easily on my bike, the back is a little work. And you're right the bars are big. Maybe I'll give it a try just see if it can work. I just figured with the rear seat not being able to fold forward it would be impossible.
Old 12-06-16, 12:25 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No reason (other than warranty), not to tow with an LS. If you ever spend any time in Europe, you'll see these and many other smaller cars towing all sorts of things including "caravans" (RV's). I'm considering getting a hitch for mine so I can pull my 4k lb boat to the lake. Here's a pic:
You'd tow a 4k pound boat with your LS? I'd be afraid I'd collapse the suspension and rear end in this thing.
Old 12-06-16, 05:10 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm sure it can be done but I've never seen a 460 or any luxury cars in this category pulling a flat bed trailer or RV. Owner's manual recommends not towing a trailer with your vehicle. I saw a Bentley in Yosemite with a bike rack on top.
Old 12-07-16, 02:10 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

LS460 is normally used in Europe for towing. Its towing capacity is 1588 kg (3500 lbs). I cannot see any reason why you could not use it for towing also here in the USA.
Old 12-07-16, 08:12 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Spoiler

I was only half-joking. That hitch is a class II, so only rated at 3500 lbs, which is right at the limit for my boat. That is the only concern. Suspension-wise etc, I'm not concerned about the weight. As ClayonW said above, Only the North American market imposes a stipulation on towing ....probably for fears of our litigious tendencies.
Old 12-07-16, 12:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I recalled a similar question. Here is the thread, but unfortunately the photos are no longer there.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...installed.html
Old 04-24-17, 02:34 PM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone in the Phoenix AZ area that can do without their 07-08+ LS460 4th Gen for a few days can fix this for us. U-Haul will use your car and give you a free hitch, their design dept is based in Tempe. Then the rest of us can have a hitch that's affordable that was designed properly by U-Haul/Curt Mfg.

It shouldn't be so difficult...
Old 04-24-17, 07:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DriverSS
Anyone in the Phoenix AZ area that can do without their 07-08+ LS460 4th Gen for a few days can fix this for us. U-Haul will use your car and give you a free hitch, their design dept is based in Tempe. Then the rest of us can have a hitch that's affordable that was designed properly by U-Haul/Curt Mfg.

It shouldn't be so difficult...
Dang... I wish I lived near there. I'd be ALL OVER it!
Old 04-26-17, 03:06 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I was in Germany, I was passed on the Autobahn by a 4 door mercedes pulling a boat. And I was going 80mph.
Old 04-26-17, 03:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dryrunner
When I was in Germany, I was passed on the Autobahn by a 4 door mercedes pulling a boat. And I was going 80mph.
Yep....its absolutely commonplace there. We here in North America are overly cautious about things done safely everyday in other countries and continents. Im not just talking about automotive either, but things in general. Again...likely due to how people like to sue over things that common sense would have said, "i shouldn't do this". An example....."I'm suing McDonalds because I spilled my coffee in my lap while driving and burned myself".

Quick Reply: Anyone ever install a trailer hitch on their LS?