GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus Service Going Down Hill?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 06:08 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Lexus Service Going Down Hill?

I've had a couple issues with my 2015 GS350 FSport. I'm sure one of their employees is lurking on here reading this. The second issue is still open. I reached out to the parent company of this dealership and GM.

First, Lexus messed up my strut and refused to fix it unless I dropped off my car on Monday July 25th so they could diagnosis a rattle issue the car was having. I actually brought my car in July 8 for the same issue and they replaced the driver door speaker screws and installed foam behind the speaker but that did not fix the issue.

In any case, I got a call telling me that it would cost 980 dollars to fix the issue. When asked what was wrong, I was told the bolt on the top strut was stripped. I asked if the strut was causing the rattle issue and they said they don't know until they replace the strut. So I asked if they replace the strut and the rattle issue is still there, do I still have to pay for the 980 for the replacement. They said yes I am still responsible for the expense.

The mechanic apparently tried to tighten the nut and the nut somehow unscrewed itself and stripped the bolt. They were trying to stay it was stripped before they tried to tighten it. Well if it was stripped before trying to tighten it, why did they attempt to do anything in the first place? They should have left it as is and called me to tell me what was going on. They told me if I don't want to pay to get it fixed, I should get it towed because it’s not safe to drive. Well the car was in worse condition than it was when I dropped it off. The bolt on the strut was tighter, the AVS was able to be connected. After they touched my car (according to the bay lead, they were doing me a "favor"), the bolt became loose and the AVS was not able to be mounted on the strut. The bay lead tried to tell me it’s no different than me having a small scratch on the car and the tech made the scratch bigger. I would still have to pay to get it fixed either way.

I got it fixed at another dealership and brought it back because the rattle was still there. They looked at it again and said its actually the other strut that is making the noise. So they misdiagnosed my car 2 times and cost me a couple hundred to fix an issue they caused and now they are telling me its the other strut that is messed up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second issue. I noticed my hood was out of alignment so I bought it in. This is within 4 weeks from the strut issue. After 90 minutes or so, I got a voice mail from the service adviser telling me my car was ready. I arrived and nothing had been done. I asked him what the deal was. His response was, “You need to take it to a body shop to get it fixed.” I asked why was it not covered under the Lexus Warranty. His only reasoning was that it did not come from the factory like this. Does he not understand that cars do leave the factory with flaws? That’s the whole purpose of a warranty. If this is going to be his response, why have a warranty? I also told him that Lexus was the last to touch my car (in terms of opening the hood on Aug 26). He wanted to get smart with me and said, “Well technically you were the last one to touch it since you drove it here.” I was calm before this comment. Once he made that comment, it took me from a level 3 frustration to 100. My car has not been in any accident and has never had body work done.

This is the second time two different employees tried to get smart with me. It seems like a common theme that service advisers and technicians like to get smart with customers thinking customers are too stupid to understand. My response to him was “Don’t you get f***ing smart with me.” At this point, all he did was look at the ground with no response and finally said, “Let me go get my manager.”

I sat at the bar for five minutes or so waiting for a manager and he approached me. He shook my hand and asked me to explain what was going on. So I explained to him the hood is out of alignment and I dropped it off to get it fixed. I explained to him exactly what happened with the service adviser and the manager said he will deal with him. He then gave me the same run-around as the adviser, telling me there’s nothing they can do and it’s not covered under the warranty. He said with the modifications done to the suspension, we don’t know what could have caused this. I responded by saying, “How in the world does the suspension change the alignment of the hood?” He also said he could reject any warranty he wanted too.

He replied by saying the hood is not out of alignment, something is bent. Well for something to be out of alignment, something has to give or bend…that’s the law of physics. Knowing that he was giving me the run-around too, I got mad again and cussed at him. He told me to get out of here. He shut my hood and I said, “Give me my f***ing keys.” He turned around and said, “I don’t have your f***ing keys.”

Last edited by pqn628; 09-30-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 06:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

So, what do you expect us to say or do now that you've been told by the dealership that they will not oblige your requests?
Old 09-30-16, 06:41 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

The overall intent was to ask if service has gone down hill in general. I have read other threads a out dealerships messing up cars a d not owning up to it.

Also wondering how they can deny warranty without providing reasons why. Is this the future for Lexus?

The chain also does not stop at the service manager so issue number 2 is still not closed.
Old 09-30-16, 06:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

My Lexus dealership has been nothing short of absolutely over-the-top fantastic.
Old 09-30-16, 07:11 PM
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Ditto

Ice owned 6 different models and NEVER have had an issue and I've utilized 3 different dealers.

Go go to any other manufacturer service and compare. Not saying they are bad, but Lexus has set the bar in my opinion.

And I'd cuss right babk at you if you cussed at me too if I was the manager.
Old 09-30-16, 07:27 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

first did u install aftermarket spring in ur car?
Old 09-30-16, 07:32 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 18017
Ice owned 6 different models and NEVER have had an issue and I've utilized 3 different dealers.

Go go to any other manufacturer service and compare. Not saying they are bad, but Lexus has set the bar in my opinion.

I've owned 3 Lexus and this is the first time I have had an issue with a dealership. I only went here because I bought the car here. The previous dealerships were great to me. To bad 1 of them is out of state and one is too far away. Going back to the other one after I get this resolved.

I don't tolerate people trying to be a smart *** to me so it was warranted to put them in place. That's fine if he cussed back at me. He has to deal with the consequences. Just like how many people think free speech means you can say whatever you want without dealing with consequences.

Originally Posted by richard203
first did u install aftermarket spring in ur car?
Yes, I had aftermarket springs installed. The strut they touched was not messed up after the install. I have before and after pics of the top strut bolt/nut.

I am completely fine with paying to get stuff fixed but I am not fine with someone damaging property and telling me I have to pay to get it fixed. Esp without a legit reason why I should pay for their mistake.

That's exactly why I paid to get my springs installed, paid to get my strut replaced, and paid for the car. This has nothing to do with money.

Last edited by pqn628; 09-30-16 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 07:46 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 18017

ive had nothing but nightmares. so bad i dont even believe you. im in so cal. you may think your getting good service because of the nice service area and people but the work itself is absolutely ***** rush jobs.
Old 09-30-16, 07:48 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628
I've owned 3 Lexus and this is the first time I have had an issue with a dealership. I only went here because I bought the car here. The previous dealerships were great to me. To bad 1 of them is out of state and one is too far away. Going back to the other one after I get this resolved.

I don't tolerate people trying to be a smart *** to me so it was warranted to put them in place. That's fine if he cussed back at me. He has to deal with the consequences. Just like how many people think free speech means you can say whatever you want without dealing with consequences.

Yes, I had aftermarket springs installed. The strut they touched was not messed up after the install. I have before and after pics of the top strut bolt/nut.

I am completely fine with paying to get stuff fixed but I am not fine with someone damaging property and telling me I have to pay to get it fixed. Esp without a legit reason why I should pay for their mistake.

That's exactly why I paid to get my springs installed, paid to get my strut replaced, and paid for the car. This has nothing to do with money.
dont take anything from those monkeys for a second. who the hell are they to get smart? contact lexus corporate. make your claim well written.
Old 09-30-16, 08:04 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

Service is hit or miss sometimes with the dealerships. A lot of it comes down your own expectations. I have had my share of exceptional experiences and downright frustrating experiences with service from the same dealership. When a certain set or team of folks in the service department align well with the customer, the product and the goal of the dealership the experience tends to speak for itself. When I bought my IS350 from my dealership, they fixed every single problem I reported under warranty (replaced headlamps due to a known TSB bubbling issue, fixed a leaky fog lamp and out of round wheels that were out of round after I owned the car for a week).

Fast forward 1 year and I traded in my IS350 for my current 4GS. At this point, the team changed as the service manager and most of the service advisers moved on to other dealerships. Every problem I reported on my 4GS was never even considered by the service team (out of round wheels, rusted/pitted rotors, brakes that lasted only 3k miles on my CPO 4GS, grinding/transfer case noise). I thought they could at least come halfway with certain things considering that me and my fam had bought 3 cars from them in a 2 year period, but they didn't seem to care.

Maybe I was spoiled with my prior experience and it set my expectations a bit high. I learned my lesson and go to a local trusted mechanic. The bottom line is that you can always go somewhere else - even possibly to a toyota dealership or a local guy who has a good reputation. I'd much rather pay something out of pocket for a better experience, then to have "free" service that frustrates and wastes my time -- my time and piece of mind is waaaay more valuable than the couple hundred i'll save by trying to deal with an unreasonable service team dealership.
Old 09-30-16, 08:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My service experiences have been fantastic. I've had no complaints with the staff or service at my dealer.
Old 09-30-16, 08:23 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus of Melbourne

I have owned 6 different Lexus cars. All purchased from the same Dealer. Service has been perfection in every respect. Yes you pay a price to get quality and there have been an issue or two over the many years. Each and every time total customer satisfaction has been their goal and they achieved it.
Old 09-30-16, 10:56 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628

for use if we see u put on spring and ur suspension is screwed up, we wont warranty it cause the problem might cause by aftermarket product. that's why people put the oem back on and bring it in to see whats wrong so the dealer wont deny their warranty.
Old 09-30-16, 11:53 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
for use if we see u put on spring and ur suspension is screwed up, we wont warranty it cause the problem might cause by aftermarket product. that's why people put the oem back on and bring it in to see whats wrong so the dealer wont deny their warranty.
Old technique for owners, to try and make dealerships pay for their mistakes. When the damage is done, even when everything is put back to original, a dumbest mechanic could see what caused/started the defect/s. Tool marks, lack of dust buildup, shiny parts, etc. are tell tale signs a vehicle had been modified earlier. With this, Lexus mechanics would be pissed for making them think the claim of unusual defects are inherent to Lexus vehicles.
Old 10-01-16, 05:03 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
My Lexus dealership has been nothing short of absolutely over-the-top fantastic.
Same here. Lexus Of Clear Lake has met and exceeded my expectations for a dealership.

Quick Reply: Lexus Service Going Down Hill?