Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

For Everybody's Sake, Stop Driving in the Left Lane If You're Not Passing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 01:09 PM
tmarko
CL Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Everybody's Sake, Stop Driving in the Left Lane If You're Not Passing

Proper use of the left lane, which is highlighted in this PSA video, could significantly make driving on America's large highway network less frustrating.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 08-31-16, 05:04 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree, however many people do not agree and/or do not care.
Old 08-31-16, 06:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck--you only have how many million more drivers to educate?
Old 08-31-16, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In most cases, I basically agree on the left-lane rule. But, at the same time, those in the left lane also have to learn that the left lane is not a license to speed.......those limits are there for a reason. Unfortunately, many of those in the left lane are going considerably faster than posted limits, and then get mad when cars in front of them, even doing the limit (or more), impede their progress.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-16 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 08:11 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The left lane is for passing slower traffic that is in the lane to the immediate right of you and it is also the lane you use if there is a turnoff coming up to the left of you on two or four lane highways. I don't think that the left lane is: the tailgating, bullying and obnoxious driver lane. It is not the lane for decide-your-own speed limit because everybody else does it.

Speeding is a form of aggressive bullying and tailgating is the first symptom of that disease. If there are enough of the diseased who show up on certain roads, you will certainly see more police showing up too.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying your sporty or fast car and if you are just keeping up with traffic (the famous 85th percentile), then that's fine. No police are going to enforce speed limits when it's perfectly safe. But if you become an outlier and get angry or aggressive with anyone in the left lane, then you're the problem driver. Taking out your frustration on someone else is a mental passive-aggressive problem, tied to your self esteem and... stupidity.
Old 08-31-16, 10:05 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Can't agree more.......I normally drive 10 above limit (highway) and stay on the left lane as i'm constantly pass car on the right lane. Whenever I see someone closing in fast, I just move over to the right lane regardless if that person is speeding or racing.
Old 08-31-16, 11:50 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

haha. no one cares
Old 09-01-16, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
haha. no one cares
If people didn't care, they wouldn't be responding to this thread.
Old 09-01-16, 06:08 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

So true and I just don't get it.. I also don't understand the people that merge onto the highway and then as fast they can get over to the left lane of a three lane highway just to cruise at 35 mph.

Last edited by JT4; 09-01-16 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-01-16, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
The left lane is for passing slower traffic that is in the lane to the immediate right of you and it is also the lane you use if there is a turnoff coming up to the left of you on two or four lane highways. I don't think that the left lane is: the tailgating, bullying and obnoxious driver lane. It is not the lane for decide-your-own speed limit because everybody else does it.

Speeding is a form of aggressive bullying and tailgating is the first symptom of that disease. If there are enough of the diseased who show up on certain roads, you will certainly see more police showing up too.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying your sporty or fast car and if you are just keeping up with traffic (the famous 85th percentile), then that's fine. No police are going to enforce speed limits when it's perfectly safe. But if you become an outlier and get angry or aggressive with anyone in the left lane, then you're the problem driver. Taking out your frustration on someone else is a mental passive-aggressive problem, tied to your self esteem and... stupidity.
Originally Posted by grabber2
Can't agree more.......I normally drive 10 above limit (highway) and stay on the left lane as i'm constantly pass car on the right lane. Whenever I see someone closing in fast, I just move over to the right lane regardless if that person is speeding or racing.
Well-stated, both of you , although, keep in mind, grabber, that if you constantly cruise at the speed-limit +10, that is right on the borderline where most cops will write a warning or ticket (from +10 to +15), and where many speed cameras are designed to go off (+11).

(we don't have speed cameras in Virginia because they are outlawed, but we do have some red light cameras, based on average traffic density for the area).

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-16 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-01-16, 06:15 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As someone who just returned from a cross country trip, I can tell you that it truly depends on the state you are in. There are certain states where the drivers understand how it should work and don't park in the left lane. Other states however have drivers who sit there and despite 20 cars passing them and yelling at them they have absolutely no idea why they are being yelled at. We drove over 8000 miles in 16 days, and it was obvious some states have taught drivers well, others not so much.
Old 09-01-16, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg3852
As someone who just returned from a cross country trip, I can tell you that it truly depends on the state you are in. There are certain states where the drivers understand how it should work and don't park in the left lane. Other states however have drivers who sit there and despite 20 cars passing them and yelling at them they have absolutely no idea why they are being yelled at. We drove over 8000 miles in 16 days, and it was obvious some states have taught drivers well, others not so much.
Unless you simply by-passed the state, I'm guessing a large number of your slow-driver problems were in Florida, with its large number of seniors.
Old 09-01-16, 07:50 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless you simply by-passed the state, I'm guessing a large number of your slow-driver problems were in Florida, with its large number of seniors.
Nope. Didn't go there. The states I remember with the worst left lane hogs were Virginia, California and Wisconson.
Old 09-01-16, 09:31 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my biggest pet-peeve. A lot of people feel they are entitled to the left land because they are driving at the posted speed limit or 5-10 mph above. I've got news for you that even police departments are saying, it DOES NOT matter what the posted speed limit is. If you are not moving with the flow of traffic then you are being an a$$hat. Even if I'm going 10-15 mph over in the left and somebody comes up behind me I'll move over and let them pass. If they want to drive fast in the left so be it, a real officer will pull them over and teach them a lesson not you.
Old 09-01-16, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
This is my biggest pet-peeve. A lot of people feel they are entitled to the left land because they are driving at the posted speed limit or 5-10 mph above. I've got news for you that even police departments are saying, it DOES NOT matter what the posted speed limit is.
They are? I've never met a cop in my life that said that....and I've been driving since the late 60s.

Quick Reply: For Everybody's Sake, Stop Driving in the Left Lane If You're Not Passing