Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 08:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if anything, to me the small screen is the one interior trim that imho doesn't match the price tag. everything else is great and steps above rcf
Old 08-31-16, 09:13 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Coupes like this don't drive huge sales though. It's a statement car that helps attract attention regardless if someone is in the market or not. It's also imperative to reintroduce a flagship coupe to elevate the Lexus marque regardless of what powertrain is in it or what price it is. Once established in the Lexus stable, wrongs can be righted over time. Will the LC be perfect? No. Can it be improved? Yes. Will it be a rewarding car? Based on current Lexus's and Toyoda's passion, Yes.

Let's enjoy the ride
It will be sitting at dealers lots with $10-15k discounts in no time.
You don't make a statement by putting old under-powered engine into a new $100k coupe.
Old 08-31-16, 10:01 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if anything, to me the small screen is the one interior trim that imho doesn't match the price tag. everything else is great and steps above rcf
What? What other luxury GT have screens that big, let alone bigger?

Old 08-31-16, 11:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
It will be sitting at dealers lots with $10-15k discounts in no time.
You don't make a statement by putting old under-powered engine into a new $100k coupe.
Perfect then I can afford one

Not sure why the 5.0 gets bashed so often. It's a strong, linear, naturally aspirated engine with Otto and Atkinson cycles. It's awesome! Under-powered? The 650i puts out 445 hp vs the LC's 471 hp.

---

The 650i btw starts at $89,000 folks
Old 09-01-16, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mordecai
What? What other luxury GT have screens that big, let alone bigger?

due to the way the screen is located, it looks small. the 6 series screen is more visible and closer to driver so it looks bigger. i believe the screen in 6 series is 10" just like the 5 series, i am not sure if the LC screen is that big.

and the way i see it, LC is the same level as GS. GS has a huge 12" screen which is best in class. to me with better design the LC could have done it and i think that will make the interior look much better
Old 09-01-16, 12:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Not sure why the 5.0 gets bashed so often. It's a strong, linear, naturally aspirated engine with Otto and Atkinson cycles. It's awesome! Under-powered? The 650i puts out 445 hp vs the LC's 471 hp.

---

thank you for pointing out the price point, j!
Old 09-01-16, 04:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The engine is great but as you know in this class of cars its about #s.
HP wise its ok but Torque wise BMW/MB kill it.
The current 6series is OLD and will be replaced for 2018MY with even more power.

BMW sells many models at over 100k+, Lexus does not. It should start below price of 650i to compete.
Old 09-01-16, 10:46 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The engine is great but as you know in this class of cars its about #s.
HP wise its ok but Torque wise BMW/MB kill it.
The current 6series is OLD and will be replaced for 2018MY with even more power.

BMW sells many models at over 100k+, Lexus does not. It should start below price of 650i to compete.
Agreed the torque is the differentiator, but we know this because most competitors use forced induction vs natural aspiration. So there should at least be some reasonable understanding that despite both being eight cylinders (650i and LC), if we use an apples to apples comparison, one is a Granny Smith while the other is Red Delicious, both are still apples, just a different take.

Lexus doesn't sell 100k+ models, because short of the LSh, they don't have any. Once the car exists, If it doesn't workout on the first try, then you regroup and try again. Cars like the LC and LS are vital to the Lexus marque, and will help elevate Lexus to be able to command a six digit figure in the near future, it won't be overnight as It's a slow and steady process that Lexus diligently follows. Don't worry though, you'll get your Lexus FI powertrains soon enough!

Originally Posted by rominl
thank you for pointing out the price point, j!
No worries bud
Old 09-01-16, 01:44 PM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Default Lexus Announces LC 500's Arrival Date and New Horsepower Specs

There's still a little less than a year between now and when the 2018 Lexas LC 500 makes its public sales launch, but when it finally does become available, it's going to be better and more powerful than initially expected.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>

Old 09-01-16, 03:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Agreed the torque is the differentiator, but we know this because most competitors use forced induction vs natural aspiration. So there should at least be some reasonable understanding that despite both being eight cylinders (650i and LC), if we use an apples to apples comparison, one is a Granny Smith while the other is Red Delicious, both are still apples, just a different take.
:
Or how about a forced induction V8 is akin to a USDA prime steak while a natural aspirated V8 is akin to AAA steak. Both steak but one has more flavor and people will pay more.

Old 09-01-16, 03:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Lexus doesn't sell 100k+ models, because short of the LSh, they don't have any. Once the car exists, If it doesn't workout on the first try, then you regroup and try again. Cars like the LC and LS are vital to the Lexus marque, and will help elevate Lexus to be able to command a six digit figure in the near future, it won't be overnight as It's a slow and steady process that Lexus diligently follows. Don't worry though, you'll get your Lexus FI powertrains soon enough!
:
The Lexus LSh was supposed to be the alternative to a V12 flagship sedan, I don't think it succeeded as they hoped. I would argue that if Lexus introduced a V12 back in 2007 with the LS and they offered it today, they easily $100k for a LC-V12.

Cars like the LC and LS are vital to the Lexus marque, and will help elevate Lexus to be able to command a six digit figure in the near future, it won't be overnight as It's a slow and steady process that Lexus diligently follows.
:
But Lexus still does not have the brand cache to charge $95K for a base LC or LS. Lexus LS maybe, however that would a huge jump in base MSRP but Lexus does have a history with the LS model.

Even BMW, and MB do not have the brand cache to charge $90K for their 6 series and SL Roadster. And only MB (not BMW) has the brand cache to charge $100K and then $200K for cars like the a V12 SL or a V12 S coupe. It is astonishing that Lexus would bring a 10 year updated engine with 398lbs of torque to segment that is mostly turbo, I understand that Lexus is saying the way it drives, and they way it sounds, but what would they logically say? I am willing to give Lexus a complete pass on the engine because the interior looks good and idea that it is almost unchanged from the concept is admirable. This will appeal very strongly to Lexus enthusiasts, but I can't see a lot of converts from MB, BMW, Jaguar etc. Lexus almost always undercuts the competition, I cannot see them asking for more in this case.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-01-16 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 04:42 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Or how about a forced induction V8 is akin to a USDA prime steak while a natural aspirated V8 is akin to AAA steak. Both steak but one has more flavor and people will pay more.
If you want to use a steak reference I won't object

In societal perception of FI vs NA, FI gets the spotlight and NA is becoming 'old news'. But that's just an opinion. Personally I prefer NA for the linear feel. The only turbo car I've been blown away by in terms of response was a 2013 Audi S6.

The Lexus LSh was supposed to be the alternative to a V12 flagship sedan, I don't think it succeeded as they hoped. I would argue that if Lexus introduced a V12 back in 2007 with the LS and they offered it today, they easily $100k for a LC-V12.
The LSh was an engineers wet dream at the time, "AWD V8 Hybrid with V12 Power". It quickly fell out of the limelight. No updates to the powertrain, basically the same 20mpg as its 460/L counterparts, and almost no marketing/ pushing its existence. What's an LS600hL?? Folks would ask. A few years after release, dealers stopped stocking them (save for remaining or cancelled orders), and like the GSh, the LSh became special order only. I agree it would be easier for them to move LS's and LC's if there was an already existing V12, but since there isn't, we'll have to wait until a new high performance powertrain is added. Till then, its just important that Lexus gets the LC launch right, listens to pro and amateur input, and adjusts things accordingly.

But Lexus still does not have the brand cache to charge $95K for a base LC or LS. Lexus LS maybe, however that would a huge jump in base MSRP but Lexus does have a history with the LS model.

Even BMW, and MB do not have the brand cache to charge $90K for their 6 series and SL Roadster. And only MB (not BMW) has the brand cache to charge $100K and then $200K for cars like the a V12 SL or a V12 S coupe. It is astonishing that Lexus would bring a 10 year updated engine with 398lbs of torque to segment that is mostly turbo, I understand that Lexus is saying the way it drives, and they way it sounds, but what would they logically say? I am willing to give Lexus a complete pass on the engine because the interior looks good and idea that it is almost unchanged from the concept is admirable. This will appeal very strongly to Lexus enthusiasts, but I can't see a lot of converts from MB, BMW, Jaguar etc. Lexus almost always undercuts the competition, I cannot see them asking for more in this case.
I don't think it'll be $95k. Probably high $80k's. The LC and LS will share the new platform architecture.

But they do

Base Prices:
640i $77,600
650i $89,000
911 Carrera $89,400

SL $86,950
S-Class Coupe $121,550
GranTurismo $132,825

A driving factor as to using an existing engine, is that the new generation of V6 and V8 powertrains are not ready yet. It took a long time for the 2.0T to come to fruition. Remember that unlike the competition, Lexus turbo's are built in-house. They may be moving at a glacial pace, but it's because they are dotting all the i's and crossing the t's no doubt.
Old 09-02-16, 10:59 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

My bet is the base price is near the GS F's. More or less around that mark.
Old 09-03-16, 03:57 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't think it'll be $95k. Probably high $80k's. The LC and LS will share the new platform architecture.

But they do

Base Prices:
640i $77,600
650i $89,000
911 Carrera $89,400

SL $86,950
S-Class Coupe $121,550
GranTurismo $132,825
From this list and the Jaguar, the LC already outclasses the 6 series, Jaguar, and SL.

Aesthetically, its competing in the S-Class Coupe, Gran Turismo, 911 (and very close to the BMW i8, Audi R8) arena.

I don't know if others will agree but I seem to think so.
Old 09-03-16, 04:57 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the 5 liter, Yamaha-designed engine is amazing. The last of its kind. In terms of pure naturally-aspirated HP/L, the numbers are pretty astounding. Plus, while only time will tell in regards to the 5 liter, I think NA engines are just inherently more reliable and less complicated than running pressurized.

The preponderance of forced-induction engines we're seeing now has less to do with performance and more to meet ever-increasing fuel economy regulations. Although the performance is definitely a bonus. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we see Toyota introduce turbos across the line, but we can enjoy these NA wonders while they're still around.

Personally, I can't wait until the 5 liter makes its way into the LS, assuming it will, and by all accounts, it points to that direction.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News