NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Rear LED turn signal upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 05:03 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I replaced the reverse bulbs with LED's. First I got a CREE that had a single CREE on the end, but the mount for the bulb actually has the bulb pointing a little towards the side of the car instead of straight back. So I replaced that with a 30W that has two CREE's on the end and four CREE's around the side to get light onto the reflectors as well.

I think these are regular bulbs:

high beams
turn signals
reverse lights
cargo lights
vanity lights
Old 05-01-15, 09:07 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderman3
I cant get the tail lights off.. I removed the two screws under the plastic cover and it doesnt budge when I pull it back.. Its like there is another screw somewhere and I am scared to pull too hard and break something.. Am I missing something?
The rear lamps are secured with only those two screws. The resistance you're feeling are from the clips, and it can be quite substantial. I found it almost impossible to simply "slide it off" by hand. Here's what I recommend. Get a very strong tape, tape the lamps along the side leaving a fair amount trailing off the back, grab the trailing edges and yank. They WILL come off without breaking anything, trust me, it just need a very substantial pull.
Having said that, don't yank it completely off, as there are trailing wires behind, and you don't want to rip those off!
Old 05-02-15, 04:59 PM
terrybill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your owner's manual you'll note that they recommend masking off the area around the light. I thought it was overkill but didn't want to risk the wrath of the primary driver, she who must be obeyed, so I masked as recommended. I was glad I did. The manual also recommended masking tape to grip the light to pull it off but had no success until I got out the strapping tape. When the lights finally snapped loose I was grateful for the the suggestion to protect the paint. They will eventually pull off but it can be a struggle.
Attached Thumbnails Rear LED turn signal upgrade-nxtl1.jpg   Rear LED turn signal upgrade-nxtl2.jpg  
Old 05-03-15, 08:07 AM
spyderman3
Driver School Candidate

@terrybill, THANKS! this made all the difference... I taped all around the light and used thick packing tape.. Took another piece of tape on the inside next to the screws... Gave it a few tugs and it finally came off...Thank God for the tape because when it gave, the release was a tad violent and surprising so the light got out of control for a sec and could of scratched the paint...

EDIT:

The lights I posted actually started hyper flashing today after I drove the car for a while... So I will need to replace them... So for those that looked at my previous post, dont buy those lights...

Last edited by spyderman3; 05-03-15 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-03-15, 07:39 PM
spyderman3
Driver School Candidate

wonder if this would solve the problem..

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/12V-Electro...l-p/aa1185.htm
Old 05-04-15, 06:08 AM
jrovito
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rsmccleary

This is the stock bulb next to the LED bulb.

Remove the cover with a slotted screwdriver, and remove the 2 10mm bolts.

Slide entire tail light assembly towards rear and change out stock bulb with LED.

Before with stock bulb.

After with brighter, slightly better response LED.
Can you post a video of the after showing how the speed of the blinking? Dont do the hazards, put the turn signal. Thank you.
Old 07-23-15, 11:08 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

The lights I posted actually started hyper flashing today after I drove the car for a while... So I will need to replace them... So for those that looked at my previous post, dont buy those lights...
May I ask, are your front turn signals the standard filament or the LED ones from the factory? And does the DRL dim when you indicate?
Old 07-23-15, 03:09 PM
spyderman3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
May I ask, are your front turn signals the standard filament or the LED ones from the factory? And does the DRL dim when you indicate?
Neither the front nor rear turn signal bulbs are LED..Both are filament.
Old 07-24-15, 08:32 AM
MOwsley
Driver School Candidate

According to Sylvania, the halogen bulbs in the NX are the reverse light, turn signal bulbs, and some of the interior bulbs.

My brother replaced his turn signals with the VLED V3 Tritons. That kind of quality should have came out of the dealership IMHO.
Old 07-25-15, 08:45 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Neither the front nor rear turn signal bulbs are LED..Both are filament.
Oh I see, the reason I ask is because the OP in this thread had LED front turn signals from the factory as his was fitted with the premium DRLs, so maybe the car is setup to support LEDs in the rear.

Also, has anyone coded their front signals? I found a Japanese company that codes them.

You can see the first default setting dims the DRL while the second one completely extinguishes the DRL when the indicator is used.
Old 07-25-15, 01:59 PM
rsmccleary
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's sticky sometimes but a good pull in conjunction with a slight palm pound in the rear direction should get it off.
Old 09-25-15, 10:44 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

@spyderman3, was the hyper-flashing on the rear turn signals that you converted to LEDs? If so, what did you do to resolve this?
Old 09-26-15, 04:04 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
@spyderman3, was the hyper-flashing on the rear turn signals that you converted to LEDs? If so, what did you do to resolve this?
Buy a resistor and splice it in or buy a bulb that already has them in it.

Third option would be to change the flasher in the car.
Old 09-26-15, 07:12 AM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Oh I see, the reason I ask is because the OP in this thread had LED front turn signals from the factory as his was fitted with the premium DRLs, so maybe the car is setup to support LEDs in the rear.

Also, has anyone coded their front signals? I found a Japanese company that codes them.

惬ć‚Æć‚µć‚¹NX ćƒ‡ć‚¤ćƒ©ć‚¤ćƒˆć‚*惃惈(DRL KIT)ā‘* - YouTube

You can see the first default setting dims the DRL while the second one completely extinguishes the DRL when the indicator is used.
I haven't tried it but I believe you can manually turn off the DRL on the light stalk thing; just twist it to the off position and then engage the turn signal lights and see if that works.
Old 09-26-15, 07:18 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just because you have front LEDs does not mean that your car is "set up to support LEDs" in the rear.

It would be a question of what the flasher is set up for. My assumption is that its a single flasher that they use, in which the front contains resistors for the additional load on the flasher so everything blinks normally. In order to make this work, go to radio shack, buy a resistor (not sure on the size), and splice it in. Bam...no hyper flash.

Quick Reply: Rear LED turn signal upgrade