Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Surprising Car Features Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 05:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Surprising Car Features Thread

Every now and then I come across a cool feature. For years Ford has offered an exposed key pad on most of their vehicles to allow opening and locking

I took out a 2013 Ford Fusion we recently got in trade and I noticed a light on my hand as I was opening the door. When I looked I saw this!

Hadn't realized that they had gone digital on some models

Please share any cool or neat features of any Make and/or Model that folks may not know about! (include a picture if you can )
Old 04-18-14, 05:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I took out a 2013 Ford Fusion we recently got in trade and I noticed a light on my hand as I was opening the door. When I looked I saw this!

Hadn't realized that they had gone digital on some models
I saw this too on a rental Fusion I had....pretty cool!

I wonder why Lexus/Toyota/MB/Nissan/etc don't adopt...? I guess a smart key is cheaper/easier?
Old 04-18-14, 05:55 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I remember old Lincoln's with those key pads what I did not like is that they used to print codes on the trunk hinges. Not very secure if you ask me.
Old 04-18-14, 06:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

I wonder why Lexus/Toyota/MB/Nissan/etc don't adopt...? I guess a smart key is cheaper/easier?
smart key is way more expensive than digital keypad... it is interesting though and uniquely ford.
Old 04-18-14, 06:23 PM
Hoovey689

Personally I was wowed. It's a nice little premium feature if you ask me and it is well integrated into the door.
Old 04-18-14, 07:01 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

Nissans once had a similar combination keypad below the door handle. They did not go digital as Ford did.

I don't remember if the Ford Fusion I rented last November had this feature but it probably did, but since it also offers the remote keyfob, the combination keypad was redundant.

Look what I found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_door_locks:

In 1980, Ford Motor Company introduced an external keypad-type keyless entry system, wherein the driver entered a numeric combination —either pre-programmed at the factory or one programmed by the owner— to unlock the car without the key. Early- to mid-1980s Nissan Maximas could also be installed with a keypad, which would also retract the windows and moonroof once the car was successfully unlocked by pushing a specific button on the keypad. During the 1990s the Subaru Legacy could also be opened by pulling the drivers external door handle a specific number of times to enter a passcode number that would unlock the driver's door only.
I did not know that about the Legacy -- repeatedly pull the door handle a number of times to match the combination! Unknowing observers must have thought that the driver suffered from OCD.
Old 04-18-14, 07:08 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sulu
Nissans once had a similar combination keypad below the door handle. They did not go digital as Ford did.

I don't remember if the Ford Fusion I rented last November had this feature but it probably did, but since it also offers the remote keyfob, the combination keypad was redundant.

Look what I found on Wikipedia:

I did not know that about the Legacy -- repeatedly pull the door handle a number of times to match the combination! Unknowing observers must have thought that the driver suffered from OCD.
learn something new everyday !
Old 04-18-14, 07:20 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very well integrated, below is a picture of the Explorer we just brought home. Time to program it. Our Edge we just gave back did not have it digital!
Attached Thumbnails Surprising Car Features Thread-img_1897.jpg  
Old 04-18-14, 11:01 PM
Hoovey689

^^ glad to see it on the Explorer . I've seen it on the Edge and yeah it's not digital :/
Old 04-18-14, 11:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't see the advantage of this feature, but maybe I don't fully understand how it works (someone explain please). Other than wanting to leave your keys in the car because you are surfing, running, or biking, when else does it come in handy? Wouldn't hitting one button on a keyfob be faster in all other daily scenarios? For those who have these keypads, I've never once seen them use it.
Old 04-18-14, 11:32 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't see the advantage of this feature, but maybe I don't fully understand how it works (someone explain please). Other than wanting to leave your keys in the car because you are surfing, running, or biking, when else does it come in handy? Wouldn't hitting one button on a keyfob be faster in all other daily scenarios? For those who have these keypads, I've never once seen them use it.
I have the key pad on my 2003 Explorer. I've used it for some of the reasons you stated above and some of the ones Ford lists:
  • Quicker entry into your vehicle, providing greater levels of safety
  • Convenient access to trunk
  • Allows fast access to the interior of your car while you’re at home, without needing to dig out the keys
  • Provides access when your keys are locked in the vehicle
  • Five-digit code is difficult to break, providing added security

You can also press 9 . 0 and it'll lock too

Old 04-19-14, 03:39 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This has been most I have been surprised the most. Darth Vader Rises, once more

Old 04-19-14, 03:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't see the advantage of this feature, but maybe I don't fully understand how it works (someone explain please).
you walk up to the car, enter the code, and the door unlocks. add a digit and it opens all the doors. you can also (i think) open the rear glass on my explorer.

Other than wanting to leave your keys in the car because you are surfing, running, or biking, when else does it come in handy? Wouldn't hitting one button on a keyfob be faster in all other daily scenarios? For those who have these keypads, I've never once seen them use it.
well i love it on my explorer. it means it doesn't matter whether i bring my keys of not. i certainly don't like having keys or a fob in my pants pocket (and we don't need coats in florida ).

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You can also press 9 . 0 and it'll lock too
on mine it's bottom two buttons, so 8 & 0 (or 7 & 9).
Old 04-19-14, 04:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

anyone remember the oscillating dash vents? i think they were on some mazdas...
Old 04-19-14, 04:32 PM
Hoovey689

Chikoo is that the Air Scarf from MBZ?

Bit, I wanna say the LS430 had oscillating dash vents too

Quick Reply: Surprising Car Features Thread