IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How fast have you taken your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 10:32 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
And there's never any crosswinds on bridges either....
Well obviously, I'm not going to be driving 140 when there's a hurricane off of the coast, but if it's a calm night, there isn't enough crosswind to affect the car. Once you are going that fast, the crosswinds don't really affect you.
Old 06-14-06, 11:44 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Payam
Well obviously, I'm not going to be driving 140 when there's a hurricane off of the coast, but if it's a calm night, there isn't enough crosswind to affect the car. Once you are going that fast, the crosswinds don't really affect you.
whatever man, that's just stupid. I don't care where you do it. Take it to the track.

Ever try a panic stop from 140mph?

Or evasive maneuver to avoid debris on the road or bridge?

Darwinism is a beautiful thing. Just don't kill any innocent people on your way out.
Old 06-14-06, 04:01 PM
BlackSeat
Driver School Candidate

whatever man, that's just stupid. I don't care where you do it. Take it to the track.

Darwinism is a beautiful thing. Just don't kill any innocent people on your way out.
Thats why we have 10 lane freeways. 2 AM and almost no cars. Not a lot of wind or deers around these parts. As for debris on the road...a slow drive of the road is sufficient to make sure there is no debris.

But all that won't mean much if one of the tires begins to disintigrate...OR if some kids on shrooms decide to go streaking down the freeway at the same time your pegging the spedometer a little past 160.
Old 06-14-06, 05:33 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Actually I have, a few times..... I'm still alive and so are the other people that were around me. I've actually done a panic stop at 180+ on my bike as well. It's all about how well you drive and being aware of what 's around you.... If there was a track closer to my house, sure, I'd head out there, but I'm not about to drive 3-4 hours to get to a track.....
Old 06-14-06, 07:13 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Calm the F*** Down!!!!!!

Look, you need to just relax and calm down. Just stick to the topic. If you don't have anything positive to add to this thread, then don't post at all. I can see your point of view, but we are all mature adults here, right. We are not all saints. Btw, the topic was "How Fast Have You Driven Your IS". Also, See posts 21 and 23.
Old 06-14-06, 10:26 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Look, you need to just relax and calm down. Just stick to the topic. If you don't have anything positive to add to this thread, then don't post at all. I can see your point of view, but we are all mature adults here, right. We are not all saints. Btw, the topic was "How Fast Have You Driven Your IS". Also, See posts 21 and 23.

Excellent point!!!
Old 06-15-06, 01:46 AM
crzcrz
Driver School Candidate

If you don't drive at this speed with you eyes closed or at night you can brake from 140 to 80 and change the lane quite fast.
Old 06-15-06, 08:39 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Actually I have, a few times..... I'm still alive and so are the other people that were around me. I've actually done a panic stop at 180+ on my bike as well. It's all about how well you drive and being aware of what 's around you.... If there was a track closer to my house, sure, I'd head out there, but I'm not about to drive 3-4 hours to get to a track.....
180mph panic stop on a bilke?!?! Now you're just being silly....
Old 06-15-06, 08:46 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
I don't know many mature adults that take their cars to top speeds on public roads.

BTW - get caught doing this - you'll lose your license and possibly the vehicle.

Get in an accident - and your insurance won't cover any damages to you, the car, or others.

I believe this thread promotes poor driving habits, especially to younger or less experienced drivers that see the thread and decide to go out and see how fast they can go, for posting on this thread.

The dynamics of any car (or bike) at these speeds change severely at these speeds, and I'd hate to see someone make a big mistake because they didn't practice with an instructor on a closed course first.
Old 06-15-06, 08:53 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Actually I have, a few times..... I'm still alive and so are the other people that were around me. I've actually done a panic stop at 180+ on my bike as well. It's all about how well you drive and being aware of what 's around you...
Payam, you seem like an energetic kid, so I happened upon this blog in your "Myspace" site:

"I used to take out my GSXR 1000 all weekend until one day it decided to do 7 flips while i was still on it. Needless to say, the bike didn't survive that crash but luckily I did."

Is this the panic stop from 180+ you're referring to?

You are indeed lucky. Watch yourself out there...
Old 06-15-06, 09:12 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Payam, you seem like an energetic kid, so I happened upon this blog in your "Myspace" site:

"I used to take out my GSXR 1000 all weekend until one day it decided to do 7 flips while i was still on it. Needless to say, the bike didn't survive that crash but luckily I did."

Is this the panic stop from 180+ you're referring to?

You are indeed lucky. Watch yourself out there...
No, that was on some back roads where another bike I was riding with cut infront of me and we t-boned..... I was probably doing about 80 or so when that happened. But I did have to do a panic stop a few months before that on the bike as well. I was hauling *** down the street racing a friend of mine(I know, city street=really dangerous). The street was empty and a car pulled out right in front of us, we were able to stop in time but it wasn't fun.....
Old 06-15-06, 10:35 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you who are set on testing how fast your car can go, just ignore this post. This will probably never happen to you.

But for the ones who are not sure whether they should do it or not - a picture is worth a thousand words - I hope you don't end up under that cover.
Attached Thumbnails How fast have you taken your IS?-other983.jpg  

Last edited by Flipsonic; 06-15-06 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 11:04 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ufHfCMU0k
Old 06-15-06, 11:27 AM
crzcrz
Driver School Candidate

It's not always illegal to drive at extreme speeds. For example there's no speed limit on highways in Germany. It's fun to see cars smoking you when cruising at 190kph
Old 06-15-06, 05:38 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
And he was talking on the cell phone all the while...

Better to put some cool fog lights on your ride and look spiffy in rush hour traffic.

Quick Reply: How fast have you taken your IS?