SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Nav Software

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 10:39 AM
kasendorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Software

Has anyone upgraded to the new NAV software, DATA 2003 ver.1? If so, is it worth it?
Old 10-09-03, 01:29 PM
rjackson
Driver School Candidate

Are you in UK?

I am told that 2002 is only current version and no new one due for some time.

Robin
Old 10-09-03, 03:41 PM
kasendorf
Driver School Candidate

Default NAV Software

No, am US based and was told the version has just been released and that I can purchase it.
Old 10-09-03, 06:40 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default New Nav DVD 2.1

Yes, it was just released last week and I upgraded! I purchased it with the '02 SC that I picked up last week and to my surprise the DVD arrived the same day!.

I don't know anything about the prior version so I can't comment about it being worth the upgrade price. I live outside of Tampa, FL and Tampa was one of the area's that was updated. I believe that they also added a zillion points of interest.

I used it to get me home from Greenwich, Ct and it worked beautifully! Here is a link where you can purchase it for $288.00

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=73

Hope this helps you!
Old 10-09-03, 08:03 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I was at the dealership looking at the new LS430 and the salesman said that it had the generation 3?? or 4? navigation system in it. IT had some things that showed the golden arches where MacDonald's are and that kind of stuff which is no big deal, but is that (generation 3 or 4) new software or an entire new navigation system?? I mean, if I buy the update, do I have the same screen options and graphics as on that car??? If so, it looks nice and a lot more user friendly.
Old 10-11-03, 11:53 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Doc, the very old nav manual in my '04 car mentions a new version is out every 2 years or so. It further mentions the next one won't be out until Oct '03 (this thing was probably printed in late '01).
Anyway, I pressed the 'DVD' button under 'MENU', and mine says version 3, so I did get the brand new one, since older cars have version 2.
As far as your question about the new LS, I have no idea if the systems are all the same, but I think they are, and were updated in '03. Other than most other Lexus systems having 'voice recognition' (have no idea why our cars don't have that feature), they're supposed to use exactly the same software. In fact. most other systems use the same DVD. My wife's new MDX seems to be almost identical to the SC, with the exceptions of a feature or two (like time and distance on the SC). Oh, but hers will have voice recognition.

I never ordered the DVD on a car because I was unimpressed by previous examples. I was blown away by the SCs, and could change my wife's MDX to include the nav (due next week), which also features a very nitfy rear-view camera when 'R' is selected. The DVD entertainment system is awesome as well, along with curtain airbags for all 3 rows of seats. Very nice car for the money.

Enjoy your weekend.

JC
Old 10-11-03, 04:24 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Hello JC,

If I am reading your last post properly: our SC430's do come with the voice recognition option. You can turn it off or adjust the volume of the woman's voice. I think it was under the menu button.

I had to raise the volume when I had the ML really cranked up because when she issued a voice command & the ML volume was lowered slightly I couldn't hear her.

Michael
Old 10-12-03, 04:21 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Default Voice Recognition

Two months ago I bought a GX for my wife, and it came with the "voice recognition" NAV. There is a separate button on the steering wheel that is supposed to let you speak to the system for directions (e.g. say "Go Home" and it will automatically set the NAV for your "Home" location). The manual also has several commands to be used to control the stereo and other auto functions. It is probably the most useless and inaccurate voice recognition system I have ever seen. The only real benefit is it is a great source of humor to see what the voice will tell you after saying any command. My guess is that the accuracy is less than 5%. Even if this NAV upgrade gives your SC (I have a 2002 SC) voice recognition capability, do not buy it just for that reason, as you will not be happy.
Old 10-14-03, 08:44 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Mike, 'voice recognition' and 'voice directions' are 2 different features; we of course have the latter.

Just like Steve, I find the 'voice recognition' a gimmick, but wondered why it wasn't featured in our car. At least in the Acura, it has 270+ commands it recognizes, and the speaker is located in the overhead console. I'll comment on its effectiveness when I take delivery of the MDX.

Have a great day everybody.

JC
Old 10-14-03, 08:53 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

JC,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I definitely am enjoying the NAV on my "02SC430!

Michael