SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Modifications and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-03, 12:12 AM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications and warranty

I want to modify my 2003 SC but wonder what affect mods have on the warranty (I bought the Lexus instead of a Maserati Spyder because I don't want to pay more for repairs than for the car). Specifically, I am interested in an aftermarket torque converter, 3.91 differential, coilovers and changes to the remote. I read on Tein's website that they specifically prohibit street use of their product (very funny...but legally a problem). Any advice?
Old 09-05-03, 10:05 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read up on the Magnusson-Moss warranty improvement act.
Old 09-05-03, 06:24 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very misunderstood subject in the aftermarket customer circles. There is a law protecting vehicle owners from just this type of fraudulent behavior practiced by some automotive dealers. The law is the Magnusson-Moss Warranty- Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states that the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicles warranty, or, that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to be sure is to look in your owner’s manual under, "what is not covered".

Click here: US Code : Title 15, Chapter 50