SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sc430 or 911 Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 10:00 AM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc430 or 911 Cab?

I know they are very different cars, but I can't afford both and would love some input from those who have driven both. I like everything about the Lexus EXCEPT the handling and ride. Of course I test drove with runflats, how big a difference do non-RFs make? I live in Santa Barbara, CA and most of my driving is top down around town, but occassionally I go to LA (75 miles of highway followed by 25 miles of bumper to bumper) or north over the windy mountain roads and then up the freeway. I am a single guy, so back seats don't matter. I can get a leftover 2002 Cab for almost the same as the Lexus, but of course it's a pretty raw car inside. What I'd like is the Lexus with the Porsche chasis glued underneath. I also own a older SUV so this will be my fun car. If you had to choose, which would you want to live with? And why?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-03, 12:11 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice choices.

They are different cars. I think the SC has a better overall package. If you are cruising around town most of the time, I'd lean towards the SC. From what other members has said, changing out the run flats makes a big difference. I think with the SC + coilovers + new wheels/tires is a different animal than stock. Plus I personally am more partial to hardtop convertibles.

Disclaimer: This is just from my research since these two + the Benz SL are my top 3 for my next car. I do not own either (yet) so ...

I wish I had your problem. Good luck.
Old 08-08-03, 12:11 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on getting the 911 cab to replace my SC430 in a few years... Why? I like a smaller car and LOVE Porsche handling..

BUT!!! I'm spoiled rotton by SC430 interior, Mark Levinsten stereo, and NAV so it'll be interesting when the time comes to make the change if I still will want to...

What is more important to you? Interior quality and stereo with NAV and hardtop feature.. OR Ultimate handling and semi-lux interior (but basic) without NAV and without ultra Mark Levinstin stereo?

You could always put TEIN coilovers on the sC430 and get better suspension response but it'll never be like the 911... it isn't going to be a 911 and it isn't meant to be!!!!

What do you have right now BTW?
Old 08-08-03, 04:47 PM
stevetarry
Driver School Candidate

I traded in a 2001 Porsche Boxster S when I bought my 2003 SC430. Although the Boxster S is obviously not a 911, I thought that I would give you my two cents worth. As everyone has noted, the Porsche and the SC430 are completely different cars. If sports car handling is your top priority, then by all means by the Porsche; you will be disappointed with the Lexus. (The convertible comparison in the Sept. issue of Road & Track was won by a 911, which indicates to me that the editor's priority was handling and power. The SC430 finished last. No surprise to me given the editor's priorities.) I got rid of my Boxster because I wanted a more comfortable car with a less harsh ride. I've been very pleased with my SC430; it is extremely comfortable, and I was willing to trade sports-car-like handling for comfort. The dealer service has been great, and, by the way, the car has an amazing stereo system. Making a decision really depends upon your priorities and what is important to you.
Old 08-08-03, 11:15 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Amen. It's like comparing apples to oranges. It boils down to whats important to you personally. I miss the feel of my Corvette, but the plusses, to me, of the SC430 made my choice a no-brainer. It all boils down to what attributes are important to you. Decide what attributes you want, then decide on your car. BTW, welcome to the forum, Steve.

Last edited by RodF; 08-08-03 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-09-03, 02:25 AM
kaetamer
Driver School Candidate

Default Sc430 or 911 Cab

I've had both. Loved the Porsche handling and power, hated having to go the dentist all the time to have my fillings put back.

The SC is for me, the best compromise yet. Would love it to have 100 more horsepower, maybe someday...
Old 08-11-03, 11:19 AM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the insights

I'll let everyone know what I ultimately do. This will be my first convertible and I want to do it right. Due to an odd division of property in a recent divorce I currently have an '01 BMW X-5, a '99 RX300 and a '94 Range Rover LWB. I plan on keeping the Range Rover for hauling and off road (resale sucks) and part with the other two to get the roadster.

The Lexus dealer (Keyes in Van Nuys) has been great, even letting me take a car for four hours (which was when I realized how much I disliked the runflats, unfortunately I haven't been able to drive one without them). The Porsche dealer's idea of a test drive is more like 4 minutes (but with the 6 speed they were an exhilarating 4 minutes).
Old 08-12-03, 10:21 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is unfortunate your Porsche dealer isn't more friendly... mine just gives me whatever keys I want and lets me go (granted, I've bought 3 cars from him in the past and now have an established relationship) BUT even my first Porsche purchase I was given a good half hour of drive time in 3 different models (yes, 30 minutes EACH car) to decide which one to get that first time....

Then again, I had a difficult time finding a Lexus dealer to allow me a 4 minute drive in the SC430 before I bought it.. go figure... LOL
Old 08-13-03, 06:46 AM
cdawg
Rookie

It's interesting the difference in perspective and opinion. I'm not sure what age most of the responders here are but my first thought at the tag line was, "Are you kidding, that's a no-brainer?" but I suppose if I asked my father-in-law who certainly could have afforded either and chose the SC he would probably say the same thing, he was looking for a boulevard cruiser that wrapped him in luxury, ran so quiet he could hardly tell it was running and offered a very plush ride. So, there is really no point in asking others, since they are such different cars it really is a decision only you can make.... me I would be in the Porsche so fast it would make your head spin...
Old 08-13-03, 07:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

While it may be the general impression that young buyers prefer performance over comfort/luxury and vice versa, I don't necessarily agree it's legtimate to label a luxury cruiser an old man's car.(or a chick's car)

While I don't have actual verifiable figures, my own observation is that even with the pure bred sports cars like Porsche's and Ferrari's, which a lot of young guys drool over, they are mostly driven by people middle-aged or older.

My guess is that if the age of actual buyers is used as the basis, then one could argue that all expensive high end cars can be labelled old man's cars, since with the exception of celebrities and those born rich, it's usually the 45+ crowd that could afford the $60K+ vehicles.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-13-03 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-13-03, 08:29 AM
stevetarry
Driver School Candidate

FYI, I am 50. I traded in my Boxster S because the streets here in Houston are terrible to the point that the Boxster really had a bone-jarring ride, and I am much happier with my SC430. If I were 25, the the 911 would probably be more attractive. But, when I was 25, the only way that I could have afforded a 911 would have been to steal one. Most people that I see on the road driving 911s are older, I assume because of the cost.
Old 08-13-03, 09:29 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

I just turned 26 however I do prefer a certain amount of luxury over performance. You can make the SC430 faster and handle better but you cant really make a porsche any more comfortable.
Old 08-17-03, 02:26 PM
Pinball
Rookie

Default Porsche or SC

Here's my two cents, FWIW. Having had both, and driving the same route that you do (albeit, much more in L.A. in the bumper to bumper) I'd recommend the SC430. You'll appreciate it every time you find yourself in gridlock traffic, and unless you really need to run with the sports car crowd, the handling of the SC430 will be more than adequate. I own a MY2000 SC400 and my best friend has a MY02 SC430 - I just gave up my MY02 Z06 for very similar reasons - it was a daily driver, and although I did drive it periodically on race tracks, it was more important to have a comfortable and quiet ride more of the time. Good luck with your decision. Also, good luck with Keyes! I'd drive another 20 minutes and go to Longo if I were you....Paul
Old 08-27-03, 09:26 AM
jmueller
Driver School Candidate

Default I finally got the SC

black on black '03 with Michelin Pilot Sports. Many thanks to all who provided advice, esp PINBALL for the Longo reccomendation (more on that below). I was tormented about this decision, going back to look at Boxster S's and Maserati Spiders (some great deals out there) only to discover that while I was blinking the '03 Scs were disappearing. In my dream world Lexus would make a sport version of the SC (6spd, stiff springs, performance tires, etc), but at the end of the day I just couldn't stomach paying so much more for a Carrera that had so much less, and a 140 miles of SC driving later I am very happy with my decision. The Non run flats do make a big difference in ride, handling and tire noise (for now I am running without a spare).

i was greatful to Keyes for allowing the 4 hour test drive and went back there intending to buy from them. But Pinball was right. When it came to deal time they were a disaster, I couldn't get a straight answer out of them or a decent price. The salesman would say that he had the deal I wanted and then have me sit down with the manager where the deal would completely change. I gave up and went to Longo. Also tried Beverly Hills (cooperative and good price but didn't have the car, at least they toild me up front), Oxnard (useless, lousy price, unable to get car or lease (I'm self employed), took 4 days to sort this out), Thousand Oaks, good price but they wouldn't do a locate for the car until I agreed to the price and gave them a credit card. I did this, but it was a waste of two days as they couldn't come up with a black on black. Longo had the cars, gave me a good bottom line price without a lot of nonsense and readily agreed to swap the runflats out for Michelin Pilots (my request). Only problem is they're 120 miles from me and only go 60 miles for service. Oh well, I hope everybody's right that this car won't need much service (I have a Porsche dealership 1 mile from my house).
Old 08-27-03, 10:19 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your decision, jr.

There are three dealers available to me - two are 80 miles away and one is about 170 miles away. I selected the one farthest away because I didn't like the way the salesman spoke to me at one, and the salesman at the other lied to me. Besides, the SC is so nice to drive (especially w/o the runflats) that the 170-mile trip is a delight - not that you would have to do it that often.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Sc430 or 911 Cab?