SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sirius H2A Satellite Installed on my SC430 (FINAL PHOTOS) - YES, antenna on trunk :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 02:19 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sirius H2A Satellite Installed on my SC430 (FINAL PHOTOS) - YES, antenna on trunk :)

so it is complete and ON... I love it.. It sounds fantastic... Since I don't use my cassette player (EVER) on my SC430, I'm perfectly happy using the cassette interface. It came out very clean if I do say so myself.

(BTW: If you are in the Chicago area, and want this professional install (Kenwood Sirius H2A or Sony XM PNP) done, PM or email me and I'll get you the info.)

NOTE: The H2A unit is PERMANTLY mounted in the SC430... it is NOT exactly Here to Anywhere any more but I'm extremely pleased with the end result Kudo's to my gifted installer!

Many said this couldn't be done... LOL.... here is proof that it does work

Photo #1 (antenna on trunk behind the 3rd brake light)
Attached Thumbnails Sirius H2A Satellite Installed on my SC430 (FINAL PHOTOS) - YES, antenna on trunk :)-red-antenna-closeup.jpg  
Old 07-05-03, 02:20 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default Photo #2

Antenna from the side (more distance)
Attached Thumbnails Sirius H2A Satellite Installed on my SC430 (FINAL PHOTOS) - YES, antenna on trunk :)-red-antenna-far-away.jpg  
Old 07-05-03, 02:22 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default Photo #3

Now one showing off the H2A unit and the only visible portion is the small line for the cassette adapter:
Attached Thumbnails Sirius H2A Satellite Installed on my SC430 (FINAL PHOTOS) - YES, antenna on trunk :)-sirius-on.jpg  
Old 07-05-03, 02:24 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

...and last photo (stealth mode)... YES, both doors close up nicely to hide it all except for the little red hump (gen 2 smaller antenna) on the trunk!
Attached Thumbnails Sirius H2A Satellite Installed on my SC430 (FINAL PHOTOS) - YES, antenna on trunk :)-sirius-stealth.jpg  
Old 07-05-03, 02:33 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job! Did you find that the sound was better using the cassette interface rather than a fm modulator?
Old 07-05-03, 03:00 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

YES.. My other car has FM Modulated and this sounds better.

With FM Modulated, you sometimes get inteference but not with the Cassette adapter.. It still doesn't sound as crisp and clear as RCA inputs BUT it is better than the FM Modulator connection
Old 07-07-03, 08:17 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You DO have a very gifted installer. Congrats! Looks great all around!
Old 07-07-03, 08:49 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

thanks.. I'll pass that on... He enjoyed the challenge He said it wasn't a very easy install and could understand why most folks would just say it can't be done (especially with those free installs done at Best Buy and Circuit city).

This install isn't cheap (labor time was about 8 hours total) but well worth the end result. I figure if you have a $65K car, why do a chincy install for less $$ ??? ... but that is just my opinion

BTW: This install would NOT be possible with the 1st generation (2 wire) antenna. The trunk antenna utilized the pully system in place for the 3rd brake light. I was told that I was lucky the wire is small and only 1wire because 2 wires would put too much strain and resistance on the factory pully system

....so I'm very happy Sirius decided to go with a single wire on the new 2nd generation antenna
Old 07-07-03, 12:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

My 9-month old SC430 has been through new rims, new tires, installation of front/rear lip spoilers, body shop repainting of front lip spoiler, and installation of X-Pel since I bought her. I figure she's been out of my hands for about 1 month out of the 9 months of ownership! (But the changes are well worth it.)

Based on that fact, I swore it was time to stop working on her and start DRIVING her! Otherwise, I'd go for the same install you had done. It looks great! For the forseeable future, I'll have to stick with my Delphi Sky-Fi. It may not look quite as clean, but at least I know the sound is better through the cassette than through the FM modulator. Enjoy!
Old 07-07-03, 01:13 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

thanks...

I can understand wanting to drive

I've got the XPEL also... lucky for me the installer came to my garage to install so that took 4 hours out of a saturday is all .....but Paid a premium too ($850 installed).. but I can't complain 'cause I got the appt. just 4 days after my purchase... I was afraid to drive it until I had the XPel in place

So Xpel, Injen, SSR GT3 rims, and now the Sirius (in that order)... for me

next for me MIGHT be coilovers

Old 07-07-03, 02:27 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Let me know if you have success with the coilovers. I deal with a great mechanic who ordered and installed the new rims, and when I asked him about the Teins he advised against lowering the car. It may be because I still only have 18" rims (O.Z. Opera II), plus I have the front lip spoiler that BARELY clears parking lot bumps. I know you have 19" rims, so that may make enough of a difference to justify coilovers. Keep me posted.

Also, you definitely did the right thing in getting the X-Pel installed when the car was new. I never got any chips on the front bumper and I had the front spoiler repainted, but I still had 3 chips on the hood. The car does damage very easily. I was lucky with the installation. The guy works through a Lexus dealer 2 miles from my home. I left it on Saturday morning and it was ready 3 hours and $500 later. He did a beautiful job. Now I don't have to drive like an old lady on the highway anymore!
Old 07-07-03, 05:17 PM
Leslie Cra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is in response to Absolute Red's satellite radio installation: Your car, your money. What counts is that you're pleased with the result. I don't think the antennae is quite equal to the interior workmanship - to me, it looks too much like a computer mouse. Don't misunderstand, I like satellite radio too. I even made a few entreaties about installing one in my 2002 Millenium Silver SC430, but I was not comfortable with all that would be involved with the installation and decided to just continue enjoying playing my CD collection and listening to books on tape.
Old 07-08-03, 06:58 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I also like that the antenna is magnetic so it can be removed for ZAINO and no glue to ruin the paint job

....and if the owner after me doesn't want Sirius, it will be easier to remove and easy enough to make it look like the car never had it (would have to purchase new ash tray piece and that is about it) ...
Old 07-08-03, 07:14 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Leslie Cra, if you want to enjoy XM radio you can buy a Delphi Sky-Fi with a vehicle adaptor kit. Stick it in the lower console, plug it into the console power outlet and the cassette player, and run the antenna from the back of the console under the rear seat (it pops out) and out to one of the rear fenders. The whole setup takes a few minutes and is completely removable. It also doesn't interfere with the top operation.

The only downside is that you have to open the console to see the display or change the channel, but if you don't channel surf a lot it's no problem. You only see a couple of wires, but they're not bad. The antenna still looks like a computer mouse, but who cares? It's totally inocuous, and I've never had anyone ask me what it is. For less than $300, why not have an alternative to CD's?

For me, it's totally worth it. I only drive the car a few days a week, and I've already done lots of work to it. Otherwise, I'd go with Ceboyd's install. I think it looks great.
Old 07-08-03, 07:38 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

thanks

Ditto on the back seat coming out really easy... that is where the wire was routed for the antenna from front to back on my application as well....

Quick Reply: Sirius H2A Satellite Installed on my SC430 (FINAL PHOTOS) - YES, antenna on trunk :)