SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New center cap details

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-03, 10:51 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow New center cap details

I thought I'd open a new thread to provide some details on the conversion kit for the SC430 factory wheels.
I just installed them myself today, and thought I'd provide some details and images.
For a complete set of images, check out my web site:
http://www.theantigeek.com

I purchased them from Sewell Lexus here in Dallas (they own Lexus Parts online). As many of you know, the site has had many delivery delays -- apparently the kits have been held up in customs for quite a while (no details as to why). They had 4 sets left, and said they had sold about a dozen.
And the price was $469.00.
The dealership said they had no use for the old caps -- apparently they use a third party center cap when chroming the wheels (apparently chroming the factory caps melt them in the process), and had over 200 of them lying around.
So if you ever scratch or crack your pie plates & want to replace them, keep this in mind -- no sense in paying full price for them!

The single box contains the 4 new center caps, paired face-out and separated by plastic. The kit also provides 4 complete sets of 10 chromed 5mm hex bolts, the same as the ones used on the "pie plates" -- a welcome surprise. Beneath the deck of the wheel well is a tool to remove them, so you don't need to go out and buy another tool. BTW, I looked for a metric hex bit at every conceivable store, but no luck.

The first noticeable difference is that the new caps are a softer plastic, very similar to that used on the bumper. The code inside the caps are "PPE+PA6". The pie plates are coded "PPE+PS".
(For you geeks, a definition of the abbreviations: http://www.distrupol.com/polymer.htm )
Contrary to the images we've seen from Lexus, the new cap is NOT shiny or metallic-looking like the old ones. They're the same flat color as the wheels.

Installation is easy, but a little messy (brake dust & dirt). I wiped the wheels down after removing the old caps, and noticed that over time they had scraped the paint on the wheels along the edges in some places. This may explain the annoying rattling sound I used to hear on bumpy pavement. I think I've verified that, since the sound is completely gone now, and the plastics are very different. Also, contrary to the old plates, the bolts protrude from the caps. There is a close-up side pic on my web site.

There have been quite a few claims that Lexus chose the pie plates for lower wind noise. I'll let you know if I can hear a difference -- so far, I'm not sure. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails New center cap details-newcaps2.gif  

Last edited by antigeek; 06-25-03 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-25-03, 06:31 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anti ...

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the new caps.

Nice pics and very nice web site, BTW. The rich green background color of your site couldn't possibly have anything to do with the color of your SC, could it?
Old 06-25-03, 07:48 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno... with the cost of those new center caps... I get nervous that they will be high in the theft ring ..especially higher crime areas like Miami, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc.
Old 06-25-03, 09:05 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AntiG..

As always a very impressive post.. Thanks for all the good info.. I just passed on your website to a few of my Lexus contacts up here and I am sure they thank you too..

Ken
Old 06-25-03, 10:32 AM
DropTop430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like those. I called 3 dealerships in my area (Toronto) No one had heard of them so I called Lexus Canada and was told that they aren't avalable in Canada. I asked why and he said that they "weren't designed for the Canadian market) I said what does that mean and he said just that. I asked if they would be available in the future and he said he didn't think so

It seems that I can not buy this conversion kit in Toronto. Go figure. Stupid if you asked me. I
Old 06-25-03, 10:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Great writeup Alec. Thanks!
Old 06-25-03, 11:39 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those look sooooo much better. Nice write up too.
Old 06-25-03, 12:18 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Default Thanks!

Thanks to my fellow CL members for the kind words!
I appreciate it.

My dealer is great, but most customers there are older, and just want a nice car & want it fixed when it's broken. So I can't get information on changes other people have made from them.
So I'm more than happy to spread the wealth -- this forum has been a big help to me, too.
Old 06-25-03, 01:20 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DT430,

Call Oakville Lexus (905-847-8400) and ask for Denis in Retail Parts.. He is getting some in for other SC430 owners but they are like $770 CDN..

Hope that helps!
Old 06-25-03, 01:38 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Check with Sewell Lexus as well: http://www.lexus-parts.com
There is a contact form on their web site. Or you can call them
at (214) 352-8100 and ask for Darrell in the Parts dept.
Old 06-25-03, 06:08 PM
JerseySC
Rookie

I like that .gif file - GREAT IDEA!
Old 06-28-03, 01:01 PM
bsklar
Driver School Candidate

AntiG. Can you let us know if the new converted wheel kits are harder to keep clean. Is there more brake dust because of the smaller diameter of the coverage? Thanks for the great pics and post.
Old 07-02-03, 05:00 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

I like the plates, but they are so hard to keep clean, dirt always goes behind the plate.
Old 04-03-12, 04:43 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Great post and pics. I'm going with the 5 spokes and hope they hold up as they are aftermarket spokes.
Old 04-04-12, 05:40 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sometimes you can pick up a set of four of these on eBay for under $200. They are probably aftermarket units (likely not OEM), so I'm not sure if the quality would hold up over time.

Quick Reply: New center cap details