SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Massive Problem guys, need some tips.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 08:28 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Massive Problem guys, need some tips.

Hi there CLs, I own a 2002 sc430 for close to a year now (1st April 2016), bought it at a used car dealership, all these times it ran perfect, without any hiccup, until this early February. Love my SC.. Its my crown n jewel.

it started when my gf forgot to turn off the interior lights and left it on for a good 4/5 hours, when we realised it, i thought i might need to chage the battery, but the car started and ran fine (still perfect). Was doing so well for about a month, then while going back late at night, my sc430 wouldnt wanna start, (battery was weak). (this was 4th of february) called an emergency battery seller, he came and said that they dont have the inventory for my battery (came with the car when i got it) with the model number DIN66L. He then assured me that all batteries are the same and gave me the water based battery. changed the battery normally (taking both + and - off and putting the new battery in, and nothing else).

it ran fine and started fine from then and there. Thought everything was smooth, but about a week ago, i went inside my sc430, turned the key, the car cranks as usual, but just doesnt want to start. I suspected that its probably either the fuel pump or starter, as the sound of the crank is fine.

Asked a friend of mine to come (hes a mechanic), he inspected it, said its the fuel pump, took the denso fuelpump out, and brought a pretty cheap fuel pump in. put them on, still wouldnt start. he checked the fuses, said everything is fine. then admitted that maybe the fuel pump was not the problem. ( -_- ) He then suggested to bring a scanner in, (which i thought should be done from the start), guy came with this scanner and tablet thing, tried to scan but it is just not detecting the car. (it just wouldnt read or talk with the car). he then called a few people, after a while, he said, its either the fuses or the computer is spoiled..

is it possible for this to happen guys? i dont really know that much about cars except for normal maintenance. dont know if the battery change story is related to the problem but thats the only major thing ive done with the car for almost a year.

My friend said the cost of a new computer would be 1000$ (4000MYR), but i insisted on bringing the computer to someone else for another check.

any insight and help is super duper appreciated, God bless you guys!
Old 02-28-17, 08:42 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

By computer i mean ECM (Engine Control Module).
Old 02-28-17, 08:55 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

So the engine does crank but doesn't start? Can you tell if it ever fires? If not, it may not be recognizing the key (the immobilizer is kicking in). If you have another key, you might try that.
The following users liked this post:
Birury (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 09:02 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
So the engine does crank but doesn't start? Can you tell if it ever fires? If not, it may not be recognizing the key (the immobilizer is kicking in). If you have another key, you might try that.

Thanks so much for the reply Harold, yeah, it cranks but just doesnt wanna start, i dont really understand fire. I wished i recorded some vid of me trying to start it, wouldve made the post better.

my friend did suggest that i give my spare key a try, but i lost it when i moved house a few months back unfortunately.. but when the guy with the scanner comes, he said the car immobilizer is fine with the key, as the security lights turns off when the keys in.
Old 02-28-17, 09:17 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

So I sense you think it might be battery related because of the story you shared.

Have you tried Jump Starting it? Maybe your new battery is defective and that would be a quick and free way to check.

If that does not work; They also sell something called STARTER FLUID. It comes in a spray can. You can get some at your auto parts store and follow the directions.

If your car runs for a few seconds, then you know it is fuel related.
Birury (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 09:34 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Typical. always battery takes blame. Yes there are two kinds of battery. AGM battery is newer kind. How about charging system? OP, do you know the history of the car?
Was in any kind of accident or problem? I never buy a car from used dealer. If I buy used one, only CPO from official dealer. If scanner is good one it'll tell most issues
with the car. Mentioning computer, maybe your friend has a tech stream? Or PC based OBD II reader? The funny thing is 'scanner does not recognize the car' Sounds like
some very unusual problem. Good luck.
Birury (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 09:47 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DashingDar
So I sense you think it might be battery related because of the story you shared.

Have you tried Jump Starting it? Maybe your new battery is defective and that would be a quick and free way to check.

If that does not work; They also sell something called STARTER FLUID. It comes in a spray can. You can get some at your auto parts store and follow the directions.

If your car runs for a few seconds, then you know it is fuel related.
Hi there, thanks for the post, nope, i never thought of jump starting the car, as the battery was less than 3 weeks old. Should i just try it?
also, i will try the starter fluid method, thanks so much!
Old 02-28-17, 09:53 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
Typical. always battery takes blame. Yes there are two kinds of battery. AGM battery is newer kind. How about charging system? OP, do you know the history of the car?
Was in any kind of accident or problem? I never buy a car from used dealer. If I buy used one, only CPO from official dealer. If scanner is good one it'll tell most issues
with the car. Mentioning computer, maybe your friend has a tech stream? Or PC based OBD II reader? The funny thing is 'scanner does not recognize the car' Sounds like
some very unusual problem. Good luck.
Thanks for the post Htony,

about the history of the car, i think its very well maintained, was not driven a lot, the previous owner was the owner of the shop itself, judging from the condition of the car when i first got it, it does look well maintained and dont think it got into any accidents.

The guy that came with the scanner tool was a obd2 reader with his tablet. yeah! thats the weird part about it, the scanner just doesnt register with the car. Anyways, thanks again! missed driving my SC..
Old 02-28-17, 09:55 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

How many keys do you have for the car. Do you have the flat wallet key its emergency key that will fit in the ignition and you hold the flat wallet key close to the ignition key and turn key . The flat wallet key has the immobilizer chip in it . You also could have issues with the crank timing sensor as well.

Originally Posted by Birury
Hi there, thanks for the post, nope, i never thought of jump starting the car, as the battery was less than 3 weeks old. Should i just try it?
also, i will try the starter fluid method, thanks so much!
Birury (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 09:58 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
How many keys do you have for the car. Do you have the flat wallet key its emergency key that will fit in the ignition and you hold the flat wallet key close to the ignition key and turn key . The flat wallet key has the immobilizer chip in it . You also could have issues with the crank timing sensor as well.

Only one unfortunately. Too bad i lost the key, wouldve made things a bit more decisive and easier. About the crank timing sensor, i will tell my friend about it. Thanks mrblister! Appreciate the input!
Old 02-28-17, 09:58 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

If the jump start doesn't work and you think it is the ECM, you should check the fuse. I think it is number 9 under the hood

Read this post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/710115-sc430-fuse-diagram-2002-a.html

You
can also watch this video on how to check a fuse
Birury (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 10:00 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DashingDar
If the jump start doesn't work and you think it is the ECM, you should check the fuse. I think it is number 9 under the hood

Read this post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/710115-sc430-fuse-diagram-2002-a.html

You
can also watch this video on how to check a fuse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH9COYPoHwg

Thanks for this! but the link is dead btw, I will try and search it manually. Thanks again!
Old 02-28-17, 10:05 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...am-2002-a.html
Old 02-28-17, 10:06 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

I found them already! Thank you so much @dashingcar!
Old 02-28-17, 11:43 AM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If it does happen to be the ECM...you should be able to buy one on ebay for a couple of hundred bucks or less. They don't really wear out...either they are good or not.
Birury (03-01-17)

Quick Reply: Massive Problem guys, need some tips.