SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

LED Tail/Brake light issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 08:33 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts
Default LED Tail/Brake light issues

Will I have a dash light if I install LED 7443 tail/brake lights?

i am looking these for tail brake lights
Amazon Amazon

and these for backup
Amazon Amazon

what do y'all think?
Old 02-11-17, 09:08 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

I'm guessing that you will unless you install a resistor to simulate an incandescent bulb.

Also, pay attention to one of the backup light comment writers:

>> Well they are very bright that I must say... Loving them so far... Only problem is have is that for some reason they are producing noise on my rear camera, I have my rear camera tapped to the reserve wire but there was no noise produced from the stock bulb so not sure why these cause that to happen
Old 02-11-17, 09:10 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

From personal experience, yes they will cause a dash error light. As Harold stated, you could try a resistor but you'd have to splice into the wire harness.
Old 02-11-17, 09:25 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I happen to have just replaced the reverse light on my 2007 SC last week. No error at all and the light is bright. Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UJF4EDK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UJF4EDK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The most important thing is to make sure that dimensions are very close to 7443 bulb; lot of LED kinds are simply too long to fit in.
(earlier I said "brake" light, its reverse light)

Last edited by jzdulexus; 02-11-17 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-11-17, 09:43 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
I happen to have just replaced the brake light on my 2007 SC last week. No error at all and the light is bright. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The most important thing is to make sure that dimensions are very close to 7443 bulb; lot of LED kinds are simply too long to fit in.
jzdulexus, does the 2007 come with LED tail lights or are they still incandescent?
Old 02-11-17, 11:05 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

jzd, good reminder on the physical size of the led.

the link I posted on my lights shows 2.25in for the White reverse lights and 2.1in on the tail/brake led.

Does anyone know the actual size limit on the backup and tail lights?
Old 02-11-17, 11:28 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Nearly any 7440 reverse LED (without the heatsink "fan") will fit in the reverse light housing and will not throw a dash light error. However, any 2006+ also has LED tail lights and therefore they would have no need to change the tail/stop bulbs (which is why I am perplexed that JZD states that he changed the bulb on his 2007). Any pre2006, in which someone would want to add RED tail/stop 7443 bulbs, would need a resistor or the dash error light will illuminate (not that I have personally tested this theory). I even tried the ones labelled as "RED Error-Free LED," and they removed the dash error light but did however result in a short in the system and the "tail light" function stopped working. That means that the bulb would only illuminate when I step on the brake, with the parking/headlights illuminated there would be no RED light from the rear tail lights. I would have to reset the car each time with a battery unhook. After my past attempts, I decided to leave things be and save up for the 2006+ LED tail lights.

Please read this thread... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...and-video.html

PS. it is important to note that the 7443 bulb is the same bulb that functions as the STOP (STOP meaning illuminated with the brake pedal depressed) and TAIL (TAIL meaning illuminated at night with the headlights illuminated) light bulb. The 7443 has two filaments, therefore when the bulb is illuminated as a TAIL light it is only 50% brightness, then when you step on the brake the second filament illuminates to give the full 100% brightness for STOP light.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...project-9.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-exchange.html. post #12

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-11-17 at 04:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fishinmagi (09-10-22)
Old 02-11-17, 12:27 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
jzd, good reminder on the physical size of the led.

the link I posted on my lights shows 2.25in for the White reverse lights and 2.1in on the tail/brake led.

Does anyone know the actual size limit on the backup and tail lights?
i guess I will find out if the leds will fit. I placed the order and they will arrive tomorrow. I also plan to install a resistor to keep the dash light off.
i know we have plenty of led right ups but I will do one more if the resistors keep the dash light off. And if they do, I will replace the turn signals next.

hey shawn, please check your second link.
Old 02-11-17, 12:47 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Yes it's buy a resistor, or buy can bus error free LEDs. They have a resistor built into the bulb. The reverse lights aren't monitored buy the car like the taillight. The reverse LEDs I bought were too long. I had to drill the inner lens. I know from other threads some had gotten bulbs that fit without modification. Others like myself they were to long.

just looked up the reverse bulbs I used, and they are 2.52 inches long. 2.25 will be close. It just might fit without modification.

Last edited by Coleroad; 02-11-17 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-11-17, 04:14 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Nearly any 7440 reverse LED (without the heatsink "fan") will fit in the reverse light housing and will not throw a dash light error. However, any 2006+ also has LED tail lights and therefore they would have no need to change the tail/stop bulbs (which is why I am perplexed that JZD states that he changed the bulb on his 2007). Any pre2006, in which someone would want to add RED tail/stop 7443 bulbs, would need a resistor or the dash error light will illuminate (not that I have personally tested this theory). I even tried the ones labelled as "RED Error-Free LED," and they removed the dash error light but did however result in a short in the system and the "tail light" function stopped working. That means that the bulb would only illuminate when I step on the brake, with the parking/headlights illuminated there would be no RED light from the rear tail lights. I would have to reset the car each time with a battery unhook. After my past attempts, I decided to leave things be and save up for the 2006+ LED tail lights.

Sorry, I meant "reverse" light not "brake" light. In 06 and after only reverse light need to be changed to LED.
Old 02-11-17, 04:28 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Bgw70.....I replaced the back up lights with these from IJDMtoy.com 7440-LED_sku312 and yes many are too long but these fit perfectly in the compartment!
Old 02-11-17, 10:37 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Just to clarify, as I had mentioned in those linked threads. If you go the resistor route or even the error free route for the LED, it caused a short in my system. The lighting ECU would disable the "TAIL" light function and only respond the to the "STOP" light function when i stepped on the brake. Long story short, when I put in the error free red brake light, it would only respond to the brake pedal. When the headlights were on, there would be no red light until I would step on the brake pedal. No red tail lights from rear of car while in motion with foot off the brake pedal... ie. a good reason for a cop to pull you over at night b/c you have no tail lights. The 7443 has two filaments and therefore one circuit/filament for STOP and one for TAIL. LEDs do not work on this two filament system, and therefore the TAIL light function is lost when changing to LED. Hope that explains a little more from my personal experience. If anyone goes this route and has different results please document, as I attempted this about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I doubt the LED industry has changed much in this aspect so I must assume that the same findings will result.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-11-17 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 02:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Just to clarify, as I had mentioned in those linked threads. If you go the resistor route or even the error free route for the LED, it caused a short in my system. The lighting ECU would disable the "TAIL" light function and only respond the to the "STOP" light function when i stepped on the brake. Long story short, when I put in the error free red brake light, it would only respond to the brake pedal. When the headlights were on, there would be no red light until I would step on the brake pedal. No red tail lights from rear of car while in motion with foot off the brake pedal... ie. a good reason for a cop to pull you over at night b/c you have no tail lights. The 7443 has two filaments and therefore one circuit/filament for STOP and one for TAIL. LEDs do not work on this two filament system, and therefore the TAIL light function is lost when changing to LED. Hope that explains a little more from my personal experience. If anyone goes this route and has different results please document, as I attempted this about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I doubt the LED industry has changed much in this aspect so I must assume that the same findings will result.
thanks shawn!
it makes me wonder how much resistance the error free lights provide. I will measure the resistance on the incandescent bulb then install a similar size resistor. I will also need to measure the resistance of the led. Will let you know my findings.
Old 02-12-17, 12:36 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I received the leds today and they both seem to be good quality. I don't have enough time to remove the tail lights so that will be another weekend. I did try the white leds in the backup light socket but the leds where too long. I tried the red leds and they fit just fine. Now I need to return the white leds and order the shorter leds like the red ones.

both leds gave off really good light.

back up light, max length led or bulb, 2.11in
Red
White
Old 02-13-17, 09:58 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I am driving with these 7443. I rarely drive at night, rely on bumper corner lights (they stay on!) Hope for some simple solution soon....can we add (wire) a tiny tail light lamp/bulb in parallel?

Quick Reply: LED Tail/Brake light issues