DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Where in Arizona are you located?
Old 01-17-17, 06:21 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

So sorry for the late reply Dispin. Your latest video made me feel better about what I heard in the previous videos.

Just to be clear, I saw you turn the key and it clicked, then when you let go of the key, did the dash lights go out? If so, that is indicative of a poor battery cable connection. The inside of the cable connector must be clean and when connected to the battery, it must not turn when you grab it and try to move the connector.

if the connectors are clean and tight, we need to look elsewhere...the relay cycling has me confused because have never seen this before.

The battery cable and connector I see in the pic looks good to me.

does anyone think his starter went bad?
can you get the starter to do anything more than click?

the negative cable only has one and the positive has two cables.

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-17-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 05:13 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sometimes instead of asking advice from the innernet, you need to bite the bullet and call a mechanic
Old 01-20-17, 07:37 AM
Dispin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested the relays. The pink one that was clicking like crazy had a low reading (I guess if it's 50 or below or over 100 it's bad) so I ordered a new one, should be here Monday or Tuesday and I assume that'll fix the problem. I'll update the thread then.
Pink ABS Trac Relay
sc430 parasitic battery drain - fuse 47, radio 1 30amp removed - wont start-mj7ujdi.jpg

Starter Relay
sc430 parasitic battery drain - fuse 47, radio 1 30amp removed - wont start-lpuwqeg.jpg
Originally Posted by DashingDar
Where in Arizona are you located?
I'm in North Scottsdale
Originally Posted by Bgw70
So sorry for the late reply Dispin. Your latest video made me feel better about what I heard in the previous videos.

Just to be clear, I saw you turn the key and it clicked, then when you let go of the key, did the dash lights go out? If so, that is indicative of a poor battery cable connection. The inside of the cable connector must be clean and when connected to the battery, it must not turn when you grab it and try to move the connector.

if the connectors are clean and tight, we need to look elsewhere...the relay cycling has me confused because have never seen this before.

The battery cable and connector I see in the pic looks good to me.

does anyone think his starter went bad?
can you get the starter to do anything more than click?

the negative cable only has one and the positive has two cables.
As soon as I turned the key to the position to start the engine all the cluster lights go out. I can hear the starter clicking multiple times if I hold the key in the position to turn the engine on. I think the pink relay is just stopping it starting somehow. I read the same issue on other forums and it ended up being a bad relay. Since this specific one clicks like crazy and has a low reading I assume that's the issue. I'll update when I get the new one in on Monday or Tuesday
Old 01-24-17, 12:24 PM
Dispin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It starts!

The relay didn't fix the issue. However, I couldn't replicate the crazy clicking the relay would do previously, time will tell though.

I replaced the negative battery terminal and that was it. Stupidly I didn't test this earlier. It's kind of frustrating since I bought the replacement terminal last week and it didn't fit at all, but I didn't think it was this so I didn't rush to get one that fit until today. Funny though that the second one I bought today didn't fit either, but I managed to hook it up and get it started. So I know that was the issue.

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.

For anyone that finds this thread in the future this is a video of the issue, a new battery but one click and no start. The previous links delete the video after a month.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59jwqq_sc430-new-battery-one-click-no-start_auto
Here's a photo of the bad battery terminal. I had cleaned it up too but this still caused issues.
sc430 parasitic battery drain - fuse 47, radio 1 30amp removed - wont start-s5zkgqj.jpg
sc430 parasitic battery drain - fuse 47, radio 1 30amp removed - wont start-dkmtdqd.jpg
Old 01-24-17, 01:45 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Awesome. I'm glad that you finally got to the bottom of the problem.
Old 01-26-17, 01:58 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Congratulations. That must be a Load off your mind (and a load on the new battery) I don't know if it the heat or what in AZ, but the battery posts on my last three cars seem to have skinnier posts than my clamps. I am considering buy battery shims to make sure they are clamped tight in the future.

You may want to check the other end of your battery cable. As you said, the clamp didn't look that bad, which leads me to believe that it may be only 1/2 the problem.

In retrospect, I bet the relay was clicking because there was not enough power to keep it closed.
Old 01-26-17, 02:49 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I use this product on all my battery terminals and never have an issue.