SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Just got rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 06:45 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by sblevins
Wow, so sorry it turned out so bad for you. Thanks for the advice guys. Lots to remember to have them check tomorrow. I think I will take notes from this thread before I go for the estimate.

The other driver called today and tried to offer to pay out of pocket. I feel bad, he is a nice guy, but I would rather just go through insurance, deslite the ding on Carfax. My last car that got rear ended had frame damage and was totalled, so I am gun shy to deal privately.
I'd go through formal process with police report and insurance company. Mr Nice guy could change his tune or disappear on you tomorrow...sadly this happens all too frequently. In terms of future sales, take lots of good pictures of the before and after so you can document the exact nature of damage. In the future it is easy to put a line in the ad saying damage was minor to bumper only and pics avail. Buyers see any accident listed on Carfax and typically imagine serious or extensive damage. Buyers typically don't care about replaced or replaced and repaired plastic bumpers if you have doco and pics to prove it.
Old 01-17-17, 03:46 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about that. I too was rear ended. Take a look at my pics. My baby is back to normal though. Insurance pay out. I bought the car back and repaired.
Old 01-18-17, 02:00 PM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aflygurl
Wow, sorry to hear about that. I too was rear ended. Take a look at my pics. My baby is back to normal though. Insurance pay out. I bought the car back and repaired.
Isn't it awful? I'm so sorry about your car but so glad it has been put back to normal now.

I just picked mine back up today - they actually did a really good job. Almost too good. Now that the rear bumper is so shiny and flawless the trunk lid looks pretty ragged by comparison. I had been debating having it painted - already did the driver side, hood and now rear bumper so this would be next in line. It has a lot of little scratch marks that are jumping out at me now. I got a couple of estimates and wow, they were $900 and $1150 just for the trunk lid. I paid about $2000 to get the entire front bumper and hood (for rock chips) and left side (where the prior owner had scraped along his garage door). They told me the trunk was so expensive because they have to remove all the logos, etc. Still, I think that is my next big expenditure.

All in all, I'm just glad it is over and that I have my baby back. I missed her so much. I know the damage was pretty minor but I had fears from my last car accident when I got rear ended and my BMW convertible was totaled. So out of fear I was researching what I would buy if that happened again, and all I was willing to consider was another SC430.

The only other downside is I was considering filing a diminished value claim as my salesman told me it would have cost about $2000 less had there been an accident on the Carfax when I bought it - which there is now since CA law requires reporting accidents with over $1K in damages. But I've called the other guy's insuranace company three times and can't get a call back, even though he sent me a letter claiming has been trying to reach me. I used the 17C formula and after the trade value of my car, deductions for minor damage and mileage, I would get offered a whopping $75. That isn't worth the stress to me at this point so screw it. I kept all the repair stuff and photos. I don't plan on selling it but you never know, so if I do, I will just show the potential buyers all this stuff.

But the important thing is that Salem is back in my garage where she belongs -- now if only those personalized plates I ordered for her back in November would show up!
Old 01-18-17, 02:40 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad to hear that your car is repaired and back with you. Also glad to hear that they did a good job on it.
Old 01-18-17, 03:56 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

The most important point is you are reunited with your SC. Remember life is short and ......
Old 01-18-17, 04:05 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Good top down times again!!! Glad you have her back! Mine is getting ready to go for some minor nicks and scratch repair in the next week or two!