SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Just got rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 09:26 AM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Just got rear-ended

Awww. My baby is my car. I love this car to death...so much so that I have been known to actually hug it when I come home from a long trip. She got hit today when I was rear-ended. There is literally a piece of the other guy's car embedded in my baby. Luckily it looks like hopefully they will just have to replace the bumper (fingers crossed) - down side, this car hasn't been made since 2010 so finding a bumper is going to be an adventure. I kinda wish I had named her Stella, so I could (in Marlon Brando voice) shout "Stella!!!!" in a mournful wail. If you hear someone wailing "Salem!!!!" you know it is me.

My wrist is a tiny bit sore, back too. Hopefully it won't be worse tomorrow. Of course if it is, he is going to claim "Liar!!" because like a dork, I ran into the rain with him to help him gather up what was left of his car - took off chunks of his front end, including the entire grill and his license plate. I came out of it pretty lucky considering what his car looks like now. Thankfully, the top still works. The last accident I was in (in my old BMW 3series convertible), a lady rear-ended me when she didn't see the yield sign and just kept right on flooring it, and that car got totaled. I go for an estimate this week, and hope the bumper is the beginning and end of it. The top still works, which is good. On the Beemer I couldn't even open the trunk anymore.

Last edited by sblevins; 01-09-17 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 09:55 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

That really sucks. Especially after the paint work you already had done. Glad you're okay
Old 01-09-17, 10:19 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Ouch, so sorry to hear that! Hopefully, the bumper is where all the damage is.
Old 01-09-17, 11:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I sure hope that dude has enough insurance to pay for the damage! Was he driving a Hyundai?
Old 01-09-17, 11:31 AM
sblevins
Driver

Originally Posted by Coleroad
That really sucks. Especially after the paint work you already had done. Glad you're okay
Originally Posted by jzdulexus
Ouch, so sorry to hear that! Hopefully, the bumper is where all the damage is.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I sure hope that dude has enough insurance to pay for the damage! Was he driving a Hyundai?
Nah, it was actually a Toyota. If mine turns out to be just the cosmetics of replacing the bumper (find out Wednesday when I go for an estimate) he definitely got the worse end of it.
Old 01-09-17, 12:19 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news.

As an FYI, make sure your top works before Wed. I doubt that any damage was done to it, but there are stories on Club Lexus where lightly rear ended cars has misaligned hinges and the top wouldn't work.

Since each hinge is like $3500, often times that is enough to get the car totaled.
Old 01-09-17, 12:32 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Wow sorry to hear about the accident, Sblevin

Make sure you check the Frame. Looking at the damage ,
it looks like it is just the other bumper and nothing else.

How fast was the other guy going?
Old 01-09-17, 01:08 PM
sblevins
Driver

Originally Posted by DashingDar
Sorry to hear the bad news.

As an FYI, make sure your top works before Wed. I doubt that any damage was done to it, but there are stories on Club Lexus where lightly rear ended cars has misaligned hinges and the top wouldn't work.

Since each hinge is like $3500, often times that is enough to get the car totaled.
I did try the top when I got home, and it opened and closed fine. I will probably try a couple more times again though just because I am a bit nervous.

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Wow sorry to hear about the accident, Sblevin

Make sure you check the Frame. Looking at the damage ,
it looks like it is just the other bumper and nothing else.

How fast was the other guy going?
I will have them check the frame for sure. Actually probably not that fast - 40mph or less probably. It sure destroyed his car though.
Old 01-09-17, 02:22 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

So sorry to hear that sblevins. Even when accidents aren't bad they are terribly inconvenient and it tends to shake you up a bit. I hope you and your car heal up quickly and that there is only minor damage (no frame or top).
Old 01-09-17, 09:24 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

I'm glad that you're OK. That's the thing I hate most, being rear-ended.
The frame inside the bumper might be pushed in. Make sure the body shop check this.
Old 01-10-17, 05:18 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry this happened to you. I had the same thing happen to me. Used bumpers in short demand work in your favor with the insurance companies. They said they would only pay for a used bumper, but there wasn't any available, so they paid for a new one. My hit was a little more severe than yours and I had to have the trunk and quarter panels blended in addition to the bumper. I had to return for alignment adjustments 3 times because they tried to reuse the clips. To replace the bumper clips they had to remove the bumper and scratched it. Back to paint shop. Ask for new clips as a cheap insurance that the parts stay aligned. Good luck on the repairs. I hate my VIN has a collision in the Carfax report. Just a bumper replacement may cost me thousands in resale.
Old 01-10-17, 05:23 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
Sorry this happened to you. I had the same thing happen to me. Used bumpers in short demand work in your favor with the insurance companies. They said they would only pay for a used bumper, but there wasn't any available, so they paid for a new one. My hit was a little more severe than yours and I had to have the trunk and quarter panels blended in addition to the bumper. I had to return for alignment adjustments 3 times because they tried to reuse the clips. To replace the bumper clips they had to remove the bumper and scratched it. Back to paint shop. Ask for new clips as a cheap insurance that the parts stay aligned. Good luck on the repairs. I hate my VIN has a collision in the Carfax report. Just a bumper replacement may cost me thousands in resale.
Sorry for your loss. I believe yo0u should be able to file a diminished value claim against the insurance co of the vechicle that hit you.
Old 01-10-17, 07:22 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

If you can get the guy to pay you without filing a claim, then
that would be another option to avoid getting it on the carfax report
Old 01-10-17, 07:30 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
If you can get the guy to pay you without filing a claim, then
that would be another option to avoid getting it on the carfax report
Dealers are very good at telling if there was any damage and repairs done to cars. If you settle with the person direct depending on how much money was involved that will eliminate your Diminished Value claim.
Old 01-10-17, 09:40 PM
sblevins
Driver

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I'm glad that you're OK. That's the thing I hate most, being rear-ended.
The frame inside the bumper might be pushed in. Make sure the body shop check this.
Originally Posted by Poqman
Wow, so sorry it turned out so bad for you. Thanks for the advice guys. Lots to remember to have them check tomorrow. I think I will take notes from this thread before I go for the estimate.

The other driver called today and tried to offer to pay out of pocket. I feel bad, he is a nice guy, but I would rather just go through insurance, deslite the ding on Carfax. My last car that got rear ended had frame damage and was totalled, so I am gun shy to deal privately.

Quick Reply: Just got rear-ended